What's new

The Games we play...

^I found that same feelings with B:BC.. with the campaign being decent. However, the multiplayer was better then CoD as I thought it did have more of a team style but at the end of the day it is the same ol ****.

Borderlands

Just started playing it and I think it's pretty good. Definitely has a Mass Effect 2 feel to it.. not nearly as good though.. but still not as close to bad as I heard some people say.

Antinos said:
Now for the interesting part. All I have heard is how good the multiplayer is and how it requires teamwork and strategy. I played two games. I didn't use my headset, and there were three guys on my team. Both games, I was at the top of the leaderboard and my team won both, yet there was absolutely no strategy or teamwork involved. I played the multiplayer like I do a COD multiplayer and I did just as good. Just like the campaign, I found it a little boring. The maps were huge and there was no action. You run around, find an enemy, shoot them, and run some more. I don't know if it was just the lobby that I was in, but in my opinion, the action and pace of a Call of Duty multiplayer is a lot more fun than this so called "strategy and teamwork" multiplayer of BF:BC2.

BF is, I would say, alot more deliberate and strategic than COD in which yo have to work together and comunicate but like you that's just not my play style. You can't just bugger off by your self and go do your own thing while still being useful to your team...

In other news, It's christmas and I got some christmas games.

First up is ESPgauda 2 Black label From the partners at work (sort of, they gave everyone £50 and I used mine to buy this dispite the fact after shipping and packaging it was £55 :| At least I'm not american cause it would have been $75)

Me being me and it being japanese, I have no ****ing clue on how to play it. Granted it's a bullet hell and I know how to survive those games... but I still don't get the scoring mechanics and stuff yet.

Sound track is fooking bangin' though.

Next is Epic Mickey It's still in the plastic wrap so I haven't played it.

kimahri said:
BF is, I would say, alot more deliberate and strategic than COD in which yo have to work together and comunicate but like you that's just not my play style. You can't just bugger off by your self and go do your own thing while still being useful to your team...

I guess it could be like that, but the fact that I had no communication with my team mates is what formed my opinion on it. I know from experience that if you use teamwork in COD, even with one other person, your chances of winning are increased. Yes, you can bugger off by your self in COD, but I did it in BF:BC2 as well and had just as much success.

Antinos said:
Now for the interesting part. All I have heard is how good the multiplayer is and how it requires teamwork and strategy. I played two games. I didn't use my headset, and there were three guys on my team. Both games, I was at the top of the leaderboard and my team won both, yet there was absolutely no strategy or teamwork involved. I played the multiplayer like I do a COD multiplayer and I did just as good. Just like the campaign, I found it a little boring. The maps were huge and there was no action. You run around, find an enemy, shoot them, and run some more. I don't know if it was just the lobby that I was in, but in my opinion, the action and pace of a Call of Duty multiplayer is a lot more fun than this so called "strategy and teamwork" multiplayer of BF:BC2.

Battlefield is better because people like to have fun on it, rather than just try 'pwn' people all the time. Plus I love the expanses of the maps, gives more time to breath and ponder your next move. But can be a nightmare with snipers.

Dave said:
Battlefield is better because people like to have fun on it, rather than just try 'pwn' people all the time.

You can use that to your advantage since everyone is trying to pull of sik 192470 degree quickscopes and play generally terribly. It's always fun to go around and shoot people with ridiculous weapons and listen to them complan like a weirdo afterwards.

Maybe I just like getting on people's nerves in weird ways.

Gt5 is seriously epic. Just, so much to do and it all works brilliantly (so far).

Made even better by the absolutely awesome Logitech wheel. Force feedback is spot on, the cars actually handle properly, you can feel every bump, slide and skid.

So looking forward to this, even if it's not set underwater anymore.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU[/youtube]

East Coast(er) General said:
So looking forward to this, even if it's not set underwater anymore.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU[/youtube]

I am as well. Too bad we have to wait until 2012 to play it though.

Got F1 2010 on PS3 for Christmas, which I couldn't wait to get... and I have to say it doesn't disappoint. I absolutely love it at the moment, can't fault it.

Has anyone on here used Music Magpie to get rid of their old PS2 or Xbox games?

Im giving them 54 PS2 games for £64 just wondering if anyone has used them how were they and did you have any trouble?

Smithy said:
Gt5 is seriously epic. Just, so much to do and it all works brilliantly (so far).

Made even better by the absolutely awesome Logitech wheel. Force feedback is spot on, the cars actually handle properly, you can feel every bump, slide and skid.

I struggled with GT5, I really did. It has so many faults.

Then I managed to grab a decent amount of time with it over the holidays, and it's really come alive for me.

There are still niggles, and it's far from perfect, but when it's good, it's fantastic. So addictive too.

Agreed about the Force Feedback too, brilliant. Much better than on a lot of games I've played.

I've had a lot of time to play a lot of games actually as well as GT5.

I bought Pacman Deluxe, which I love (which is odd considering I hate Pacman). It's just silly, frantic and a good ten minute filler of a game. Well worth the £3 or whatever it was.

Also got Dead Nation, which I've not committed enough time to yet, but again, very good fun.

Maxi-Minor_Furie bought "Costume Quest" (plus the add on pack) which I've been helping him with. It's pretty basic to be honest, but good fun and he's loved it. It's really aimed at about an eight year old level, so there's a few people on here should find it an enjoyable challenge ;)

Last, but not least, finally succumbed to Rock Band 3. After all the others, it was really confusing (and I'm still finding my way around it).

I have so many songs though, and the new set lists are excellent (Werewolves of London? Yes please!). The game is so much tighter and friendly. It's such a massive improvement. Makes me a bit sad I only got a few months with Rock Band 2 though, but at least I have that disk full of tracks as well.

Minor_Furie is saving up for the Pro-Guitar too, the 3000 button, 200 string monstrosity. That should help him stop whining about "Smoke on the water isn't played anything like this on a real guitar compared. Stupid plastic rubbish".

Erm, probably more games too I imagine, but that'll do for now out of the "highlights" :)

I'm not enjoying GT5 because it's FORCING me to race ****ty cars on circuits I don't want to just to unlock what I want.

I'm calling it Smash Bros syndrome, where things are advertised as being in it, but you have to play it for ten hours before getting to them!

Is it THAT bad that I got it because I wanted to race R10s (well, R15s but they're not in it!) around the Nurburgring? I DON'T want to race Meganes around some ****ty loop. Oh, plus, if you make the wrong car choice at the start you get about two events to choose from, the others you're not eligible for...

Maybe that's the sort of game it is. And maybe it smells.

I struggled with it for ages. It was all "no, you can't enter this because you don't have the right car", but it doesn't give you any guidance as to what the right car might actually be. So you look in the "example cars for this race" bit, and it's full of odd named stuff you know nothing about.

Trying to find a 1960's FR classic car under 1100 Kg and with between 342 and 368 BHP is impossible (that's not a real example by the way) when all the second hand dealer has is a list of things like "ZZ673, Blue", seriously WTF?

So yeah, as I said, it's massively flawed, but I actually prefer the enforced races. When you're all in the same class of car, then the racing has to be very tight and you really need to be on the ball.

I guess I didn't really want to play any particular car or track though. I just wanted to experience what it had to offer. There are certainly times (particularly around Cape Ring) where I've wanted to slash my wrists though. You are just taking a Yaris out on 3 races for the sake of trying to open up more of the game and it's tedious.

As the game's opened up though and I've got the right cars and enough money, I'm finding it excellent. There's less and less of the whole "I want to die" thing as you're doing a race series.

The Gran Turismo cup thing on the Pro level is superb. Apart from the awful Cape Ring, the races are for the most part superb, and you've got a high powered race car competing with other powerful cars. It was tough and exciting.

Things like the Gokarts really shocked me too. They're a pain in the arse, but the races are so exciting because of it. Slightest bit too much gas or brake and the things are off, but the latter challenges force you to push it hard.

It must have been about ten hours in that it suddenly clicked for me. Until then it was a chore with moments of genius. Though getting my wheel out after about five hours of play probably helped a lot.

It's an odd game. It's far from perfect and irritating as hell, but it's just what it is, it's Pokemon for racing fans.

It is just too easy and thats the big problem, I get over taken down the straights but get them at corners.

I find some of it easy, some of it not.

The earlier races, you're right, but the challenges are far from it. Trying to get first place on the Top Gear Test Track challenges was really hard work. Some of the licenses too are very tough.

It's certainly not consistent. There are tracks where I'm just off in front and once you're away they never catch you. Then on other tracks (Rome in the Lambo cup on Pro for instance), you're in a more powerful car, but the track just isn't suited to it. There you can get more speed on the straights, but the computer cars are much faster through the corners. You have to change your driving style as you change cars. It's not all the time though, it just throws oddities at you every so often, and it's these I'm really enjoying, where it suddenly really makes the game a challenge.

I'd say that the challenges are the most frustrating, but fun parts of the game. The races themselves are very hit and miss.

As I say, it's taken a long time for the game to open up though and grab me. It needed a lot of work, and it IS frustrating and can go between easy/dull to tough/fun several times in an hours playing :)

I got Guwange and Scott Pilgrim from the XBLA the other day. Weird Japanese Bullet Hell and Classic style Beat em ups for the win.

Also got Splatterhouse. Not got around to playing it yet... just like Epic Mickey :/

I've got GT5 and I really struggle to enjoy the game to be honest and I haven't played it in a while.

Alot of the reasons you stated Furie about 'you need this certain car for this' etc, its just frustrating.

And does anyone seriously enjoy telling a computer racer orders and just watch them driving round the track? Seriously whats the deal with that? I want to complete the races myself obviously thats why I bought the game, not to watch my PS3 play it :lol: