What's new

The Games we play...

Can you two paragraph a bit more. It's a strain to read it all as it's just a huge block of text. :p

Anyway I'm looking round Sony's E3 stalls on Home at the moment. It's quite cool. And the menus and way you navigate home has changed completely since I've last been on.

^I go on it every couple of months for half an hour or so to see how things have changed and what's been added. The American and Japanese PS Home is better than the European one as they have the Haunted Hospital game which is awesome. :)
Even if it does take ages to get in a game. :(

Ben said:
Ew, Home is the worst thing ever.

This, almost. It's all "wow... and... look... here... this... that... ooh..." for five minutes.

Then it rapidly descends into

"loading wait for area... more wait... more wait... French... Italian... Wierdo... Wait... wait... wait... want to play ****e mini game now... wait... wait... wait... German playing game with me... wait... German quit... wait... wait... It's quicker and easier to use a PC and web browser actually... OFF"

It's a great idea with absolutely no practical function. Test Drive Unlimited 2 is mimicking it actually, only they have a racing game behind it all as well :)

I got my 10 free PSP Go games last night. What a chore. They all need downloading one at a time, and they range from 300MB to 1.5Gb (for Little Big Planet PSP).

So I've got about half of them.

So far I've played Gran Tourismo PSP. It's like GT 3 actually (not quite as shiny, but close) only with slightly more annoying controls :lol: I can see me losing my life to the game though until GT5 is released. It's actually much better than the three "early" GT 5 PS3 versions I've played (in terms of handling and gameplay). So good start.

Little Big Planet PSP is just a mini version of LBP. More platforming, but it's so nice to have Stephen Fry talking to you in miniature. I might put more effort into the creation tools on the PSP version, as it's a little easier being cut back. The kids are very excited about LBP on car journeys.

Finally had a couple of races on Motorstorm: Arctic Edge. It's mini Motorstorm, which I like to a degree. I played the demo and hated it, but the full game seems better - so that means there's a **** track there somewhere waiting to punce :(

Didn't get much chance to play much else though (PS3 night, so was playing Burnout and Crash Commando online all evening). Looking forward to having a lot of time together with my new little friend though :)

Played through a lot of Portal at LAST this morning. I *think* I'm about 2/3rds of the way through, and it's pretty awesome. The later challenges are like "WTF?" so I gave up for a bit to think about it :p

Then I played the first Resident Evil, the Cube remake (I know, being retro today). It made me realise why I hated it when it first came out and why 4 is the only one worth bothering with (although 4 can have my babies if it wants to). It's just the controls. It's not press forward to go in that direction in the game, but, forward to make your character go forward. It's such a mind-**** and it just DOESN'T work. So, yes. Remake it for me in this generation without the dodgy controls and annoying "scary" camera angles, and I'll like it. For now? It has reminded me why I gave up after an hour last time I played it.

Annddd, to the modern game. Red Dead Redemption. It's amazing. I LOVE it. It's spectacular. It's better than GTA4 becuase it has MID MISSION CHECKPOINTS (thank christ). It's just so amazing to murder someone, have an eyewitness try to escape, slow down time, and as they're running away shoot them in each limb and then the face. It's amazing. And dragging people behind horses will NEVER get old. And even the missions which were like "ugh, chore" at first turned amazing <3 That said, I'm about 20% of the way through (apparently) and I'm gonna aim for 100, so there's a lot left to do! It's just more accessable than GTA4 IMO. Easier? MAYBE. I'd just say less frustrating. It's not that GTA4 is a HARD game, but, when you die and have to do the WHOLE. ****ING. MISSION. again, it's really annoying, and I don't have the patience for it.

Ben said:
Played through a lot of Portal at LAST this morning

weighted-companion-cube.png

Resident Evil 5 makes me sad.

Like, really sad.

Spoilers...

Jill. Ugh.

Wesker. Ugh.

I MISS FOUR.

That's it. Go play Four.

OH, and your partner is the dumbest bitch ever. She shoots me more than the monsters!

I've had it since nearly release, and I'm still not done. Not because it's long, because it's a test of ****ing patience to play it.

I MISS FOUR.

I just finished Assassin's Creed 2. It was an awesome game. I felt that the game was more linear than the first in some aspects, but more sandbox-y in others. The story was amazing and the ending was extremely fun. The final part under the Vatican was pretty unexpected and the Glyphs blew my mind. Although I still had a bit of problems with freerunning(Ezio jumps off a building instead of grabbing onto a bar or something), but not as much as the first game. The game also ripped me off of an achievement. I'm almost done collecting feathers and then I'm going to replay the beginning of the game to get the Art Connoisseur achievement, the last one I will need. It isn't the best game I've played, but it's pretty incredible. I can't wait until the third game comes out.

Bought (and played) Blue Toad Murder Files last night. At 99p, it was rude no to.

It was okay I suppose for 99p. Kept Madame_furie and myself occupied for about an hour. There's no much to it, just a few puzzles and observation tests, then guess "who dunnit". The problem is, why would we play it again? The voice acting is a little over the top, and the game is a bit "skimpy" on animation. So, for a fiver I'd not bother, but for a quid - yeah :)

Also making my way through my free PSP games.

Gran Turismo PSP?
I started by going through the driving lessons (actually, I started by giving it a custom soundtrack, which is a nice feature using MP3's on the PSP).

It's a much gentler introduction to driving than the previous "tests", but to get a gold medal and the big cash rewards, it's as challenging as ever.

So, really enjoying that, but wanted a bit of a race. Went to race and there's options for Time Trial, Single Race and Drift Challenge - I've also got an Alfa Romeo in the garage already.

Okay, so I've not unlocked stuff yet, fair enough. I have a couple of races on some easy tracks, and it's all good GT stuff. Getting really excited for GT5 now after this. It's captured something GT3 had in the racing. I like it :)

So, I play more driving lessons, earn more money, go to buy cars. There's a few on offer, but I can't seem to find the career mode to help me pick a car.

Wait? What's that the internet tells me? There's no career mode on a GT game!!!. Fail Sony.

The driving is still good, but it's all a case of just racing single races to earn a few quid to put towards a car which is offered on a random basis after each race session. It's just simple and messy. Gah!

So I bought Locoroco - Midnight Carnival (as it was cheap yesterday) :). I've never been 100% convinced by the Locoroco games. Platform games where you can't jump, just roll left or right by using the shoulder buttons to tilt "the world".

It's an interesting concept, and the graphics are very cute and colourful, and the music is insanely catchy. Midnight Carnival adds jumping though, and it really opens the game up. It's very difficult to get your head around tilting a world while you're bouncing high in the air, but it's rewarding, cute and addictive. Well worth £5 for the "all in" pack.

Started a bit more on Motorstorm and LBP for the PSP - so when I've got deeper I'll do more reviews of those. It's odd, the PSP has always appeared to have no games worth playing, but I think I've probably got 10 or so great games. I reckon it's not far off the number of DS games actually "worth" owning ;)

We'll see, still not played the World Cup game I got with it :lol: