What's new

The Games we play...

Sony are likely to be announcing a series of popular 1st party PS2 remakes including the piss poor Sly series, but very importantly... PS3 remakes of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus!!!

I'm very excited about that announcement if it comes :)

Oh, and I want to find out what's going on in the Premium PSN stuff. 3D gaming? You need your games to run at 120FPS!!! People may actually have to start working hard coding the systems...

New 360 doesn't have Blu-Ray Marc. It's the same as before... Well, it's not, it's everything the PS3 Slim is, but for £30 less and without a Blu-Ray.

The two systems are very close now, but the new 360 looks a massive amount better than the PS3 slim, which looks like a bad prop from "Battle Beyond the Stars"

If you get Kinect and don't have a new 360 slim, you'll also need another external PSU :lol:

BTW Ben, GT5 is pants :p

furie said:
EDIT:
Just for Pierre, the new 360 Slim PSU can be seen on the desk here:
360slimunboxt.jpg

It comes with a bow. :3

Edit: I should read before quoting.

furie said:
but very importantly... PS3 remakes of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus!!!

I'd buy them again. Hell I bought Lemming 3 times, SOTC it's self twice, REZ twice and assorted other game more than once.

I'm a bit late with this, but I just got to see the full Microsoft, EA & Ubisoft presentations.
Microsoft was first:
The CoD:Black Ops helicopter demo sure looked sweet & it looks like this will be the best CoD yet! And Microsoft scored with the DLC exclusivity deal!
Medal Gear Solid always has to be different, doesn't it? So we get a slicing snake. Where's my watermelon!
The Gears of War 3 playable demo rocked, but that was what I expected. Everyone is going on about the female character, but it's really all about the 4 player co-op! I also love that they're going back to the really strange brutal creatures that you get to fight against.
Fable 3 looked good too, but I would have liked to see some game play.
Does it get anymore realistic than Codename Kingdoms? That gladiator looks like a real person.
Don't need to really mention the Halo Reach campaign trailer because there's too many haters on here, but I can't wait to play that bad boy.
Kinect is actually a bit smaller than I thought it would be, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to talking to my xbox. As far as the games, Microsoft has some catching up to do. (Do Wii games take photos of players?) It shouldn't take too long before they'll be releasing games that take full advantage of the peripheral (movement, voice & facial expression) & Forza Motorsport already seems to be well on its way.
Pierre is spot on about the demonstrators being OTT, but the wife really liked the look of Your Shape Fitness Evolved better than anything she's seen on the Wii.
I also like the ESPN agreement. Sporting events on demand for free in HD is always a plus, but why did they have to show the USC touchdown against Ohio State & the Lakers scoring against the Celtics?
Lastly, the only way I would be getting the new 360 is if I was one of those lucky bastards in the audience & I really don't care about the size of the PSU tbh. It can't be any bigger than the brick I already have.
EA was next:
Dead Space 2 looks epic & I'll be getting it on January 25th for sure.
Medal of Honor looks to be trying to catch up with CoD, but that full on 24 player demo sure was cool & I guess I'll be joining the Gun Club to get the betas & demos.
I could care less about the MMA game, the new Madden or the Sims3. Crysis 2, however, looks amazing! Can't imagine what that thing looks like in 3D.
Don't know what to think about Bulletstorm, but I'll be buying it on February 22 just because it's from Cliffy B so its got be fun to play.
The Star Wars Old Republic trailer looked every bit as good as last year's. I can't wait to see the hands-on in the next day or two.
As far as Ubisoft:
All I really have to say is Assassins Creed:Brotherhood =WANT! With its 4 player co-op, it truly seems to be the next step to take & will crush the previous installments.
Ghost Recon:Future Soldier also looked sweet, but everything else was just kind of weird.
The premise for Shawn White's Skateboarding has got to be the strangest ever. BattleTag wtf? Innergy WTF?! At least Project Dust looks different, even if I don't have a clue what game play will be like.
Driver San Francisco had that 'driver's actually in a coma' shift thing going for it over Need For Speed's chaser, but I don't think either game will do much to revive the franchises.
What I did notice this that all the Ubisoft motion detection game demos used Kinect, which says a lot about its superiority over the Playstation's Move. And what was the Michael Jackson dance thing at the end all about? Is it a copy of Microsoft's Dance Central?
Overall so far so good, but where am I going to get the money to pay for all this
icon_censored.gif
?

For me, yesterday was a day of sequels and copies. Nothing other than Child of Eden or Project Dust caught my attention. I suspect it's going to be like that for most of the show.

Not liking FPSs means that my MS spend would be very low :lol: (hell, we've had MAG with its 256 player online matches in the house for three months and I've still not played it) However, Sony are bound to announce a ton of stuff I do want to spend my money on :lol: (that's why we have different consoles ;) ).

Kinect Forza looks dreadful. Casual gaming at the worst. You don't accelerate or brake, just steer left or right around cars to pass them - it's like being in 1982 all over again! Okay, you can examine the cars, but the core game is dreadful sounding.

I'm looking forward to Hot Pursuit 2 simply because both the previous Hot Pursuit titles were really excellent. Fast, exciting and brilliant fun to play (plus technically superb). No brainer arcade games to be honest, but top of their game. So I have high hopes.

Kingdoms looked good, but like the new Halo, wasn't it pre-rendered and not gameplay footage?

kimahri said:
Is it just me or does that Project Dust remind any one of Black & White.

It does to a degree, yeah - which isn't a bad thing...

Jerry... Halo is gameplay footage, Kingdoms is live actors. That explains why the gladiator looks so real, he is :)

So Halo looks lovely, and I think the idea of adding space combat it superb, especially if it mixes well with the rest of the game.

furie said:
Kinect Forza looks dreadful... Okay, you can examine the cars...
I was only referring to the car examining part, not the driving. It's more of that kind of thinking that will need to be implemented before I'll consider buying the new bundle.
furie said:
Jerry... Halo is gameplay footage, Kingdoms is live actors. That explains why the gladiator looks so real, he is :)
And here I was thinking gaming had reached a new level of realism. :roll:

East Coast(er) General said:
furie said:
Kinect Forza looks dreadful... Okay, you can examine the cars...
I was only referring to the car examining part, not the driving. It's more of that kind of thinking that will need to be implemented before I'll consider buying the new bundle.

Which, the driving or examining part? I think the examining part is "finding a use for something which isn't needed". You can stand in your living room and "pretend" to look around a car, but you'll always have to be staring at the screen. I'd rather just be sitting down and twiddling an analogue stick to examine the car. Unless you get a big cardboard box with the game so you can do "make believe" properly :lol:

That's the biggest issue I have with "interactive gaming". It's a lot more effort pretending to do something than playing it "as a game", but not as much fun as doing the real thing. EyeToy got it right because the games were manic, pointless and fun. However, it was limited to one set of mini-games. Beyond that it was futile and tedious.

East Coast(er) General said:
furie said:
And here I was thinking gaming had reached a new level of realism. :roll:

Ah, sarcasm detection failure :( :lol:

East Coaster General said:
Crysis 2, however, looks amazing! Can't imagine what that thing looks like in 3D.

Erm... What?

The game from the series of ones that requires a super-computer to run it to a good degree will be in 3-D???

Urgh... 3-D gaming... *Sighs at the 3DS*

In new game news, I started off Super Mario Galazy 2 this morning...

It has Yoshi times, that is all <3

Nemesis Inferno said:
Erm... What?

The game from the series of ones that requires a super-computer to run it to a good degree will be in 3-D???

Urgh... 3-D gaming... *Sighs at the 3DS*

But... It's such a cool gimmick!!! Such longevity and having to double frame rates (by cutting corners or increasing dev time) or halve image quality is a good price to pay :roll:

Nemesis Inferno said:
In new game news, I started off Super Mario Galazy 2 this morning...

It has Yoshi times, that is all <3

I can't get excited by it. Neither of the kids can get excited by it. We're all Mario'd out completely. NSMB Wii sits gathering dust. :(

For Ian though, there may be a new Wii game!!! Golden Eye Wii!!! Updated remake of the N64 classic. Could be good? Maybe?

After watching that Killzone 3 trailer I dread the though of playing that in 3-D. Even fighter pilots would get motion sickness from that.

Dead Space 2 gameplay bit on E3 was AMAZING. Seriously can't wait to play it.
Little Big Planet 2 also looked good. They've added all sorts of new styles of gameplay which will add something completely new and fresh onto the gameplay we know and love. :)
I was shocked when they did that surprise Portal 2 section. When the lights went out and GLADOS took over the screens and showed the new trailer which also looked fantastic. The past couple of hours of E3 have been fantastic. :)

There's five games I'm looking forward to:

1. Medal of Honor is what I'm most excited about. The game looks extremely fun and the graphics are incredible. After watching an interview about the multiplayer, it doesn't sound like it's going to be some MW2 crap again. They're adding a lot of skill and team based objectives and rewards so it isn't a one man killfest.

2. Black Ops looks like it will be a great game. Many are already predicting it to out do MW2 and I wouldn't be surprised. The graphics, just like MoH, look absolutely stunning.

3. Halo: Reach looks like it will take the saga to new levels. Enemies look faster and space battles are definite.

4. Gears of War 3 comes out next April. After finally playing the second one, I cannot wait. The story of the second Gears is great and it's just a fun game. I can't see the third one being anything different.

5. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood looks awesome. I recently played the first one and it was pretty good. I'm currently playing the second one and I love it even more. This should be no different.

furie said:
For Ian though, there may be a new Wii game!!! Golden Eye Wii!!! Updated remake of the N64 classic. Could be good? Maybe?
Yeah, so I read. Somehow I doubt it'll capture the joy of the 13 year old original, but if it can hold a candle to it (and the frame rate and graphics are slicker, which I fully expect) then it'll probably make my Christmas list.

I doubt it'll have that sparkle of Rare magic like the original did, but I'll give it a go. I've seen the screenshots and it's lovely.

With Donkey Kong and Zelda in the pipeline, there may be more life in my Wii yet. At the moment, it only gets used for the BBC iPlayer and the odd game of Sports when mates come round.

DONKEY KONG LOOKS BRILLIANT!
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... mments_top

Just like the SNES version and I rank that as one of my top 10 games of all time. I'll certainly be getting DKR. Hurrah, something for poor Wii owners to look forward to.

Zelda looks pretty meh tbh, but being a fanboy I'll buy it anyway.

I'm tempted by Mario Galaxy II, the review I read in Edge was quite complementary, but I'm just not motivated to sit down and play computer games anymore, especially if it effectively a rehashed title. Oh well, my birthday is coming up in September, can wait til then.

Nemesis Inferno said:
Oh Nintendo...

Why are you remaking Ocarina of Time for the 3DS?

Bugger... Honestly don't know what to think... Gah...

Think... "Nintendo have spent the last 10 years rehashing all of their old games and reselling them to a new generation of people in a slightly "this is not playing games, honest" format and I've just woken up to the fact and realised my disappointment" ;)

Unlike Sony who are currently going "Nintendo stole our idea, and Microsoft. Well, we'll hit back with more of the same, only with knobs on!" :)

I don't mean to be disparaging towards Nintendo, but I dislike platform games and want something a little different from a console. It's always seemed odd to me that Nintendo offers the smallest range of games.

I'll probably end up getting DK for the kids though, as they DO like platformers, and Donkey Kong is a legend :)

So, highlights for me? Very little in the "sequel" category, as I'm not big on them at all.

Halo actually looks really good. It's good they're adding to it, rather than just "more of the same but prettier".

Patapon 3. Really excited by this. Rhythm action RTS FTW (see Nintendo, that's how to do revolutionary games).

Sony forcing Gabe Newell to admit he was wrong. It was painful to watch, but it made me laugh.

Top Gear Test Track and The Stig on GT5 :lol:

Cross game chat on the PS3 at last (with caveats :( ).

Meh for me?

Little Big Planet 2. I think it's a brilliant gaming concept. I love the "platform for games" thing, and it's really a revolutionary idea. However, it's at heart a pretty basic platform game, which now allows you to produce below average basic arcade games like you'd get on the iPhone.

"Motion controllers". Big fat Meh. None of them are really setting the world on fire and they all involve too much effort for what they offer. Some niche little titles here and there (and yes, I AM excited about the Move sword fighting game), but overall - technology to fill a need that doesn't really exist.

All the sequels. Original titles please!

Playstation Plus. £3.33 a month for a PS1 game, a PSN game and two PSP/PS3 Minis. Plus you are allowed to initiate Cross Game Chat. It's hardly helping compete with X-Box Live is it? I guess if it's successful, there'll be more added (though Minor_Furie is excited by the chance to get a limited early access to the new Assassin's Creed Beta through it). As it is, it's just wishy washy. I'll get it, £3.33 a month is peanuts for what will be offered that I'll use. It's just not as far reaching as it could have been.

Lowlights?

3D gaming. Sony really pushing it. Nintendo really pushing it. Is it a fad? I think so... We'll see.

PSP. Sony tried to expand on the PSP without having anything to say about it. They're flogging a dead horse. Sony - give it up, or actually make some real effort to invest in the product! £200 for the Go is actually a joke and it's the price point failed it, NOT the fact it was download only. Come back when you have a clue? (I love my PSP BTW, and the GO is a thing of beauty, but seriously, come on Sony).

There's probably tons more that will come to me, but that was about it for me.

furie, on the Ocarina remake it's more of a 'I'm not sure about remaking one of the most classic games'...

Having it on the DS would be useful, but... I don't really want to have to buy the new 3D one when my current DSi is barely a year old...

I may end up getting Goldeneye as I missed the original... Yay for new Metroid trailer, cannot wait for that one, need to watch more today tbh... Draw up a list for the rest of the year...