What's new

Strangest Coaster Layouts

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Superman: Ultimate Flight at SFGAdv wasn't a weird looking terrain coaster.

Though the terrain was "flat and car park like" ;) :p

scw55

Hyper Poster
I find any coaster types that stay in the "same plane" weird looking (half-pipe, impulse, phallus topthrill dragster).

They just look like flatrides with track.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I know it's due to space limitations, but the way Rita and Swarm both have a brake run, then a medium speed banked turn, then another brake run always seemed a bit of a sloppy way of doing things.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Storm Runner, of course. Self explanatory.
Shockwave at Kings Dominion. Just plain weird. What wee they thinking?
Volcano the blast coaster, at the same park. It's cool, but should be a longer ride. 2 launches. 4 inversions, then slams into the break run.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Wanna bump this thread to mention Big One @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Lots of kinetic energy wasted over tame hills. And has a terrible looking support structure.

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Great Bear is odd, especially for an invert, starting off with the helix drop and flat sections on the back half.
Powder Keg is weird due to the fact that the lift hill leads you to one drop and helix and that's it. It also has that mostly pointless transfer
l1a10000bocgero005rkro.jpg

Kennywood has the unusual Thunderbolt and Jack Rabbit, but the weirdest thing of all is this
SkyRocketWavy2.jpg

Yeti

Roller Poster
^The reason Powder Keg has that transfer is because couldn't find a way to fit rollback brakes on the launch, so instead of having a long and pointless straight section with brakes on it between the station and the launch, the train just goes into a set of brakes hidden behind the transfer.

The Schwarzkopf Katapults were really quite weird imo.
1aomfo000040vo83ua0012.jpg

I don't know why you would have one over a standard looping flat (forgotten the name).