What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

Indy

Hyper Poster
^underrated coaster, loved it
Agreed. I knew it was going to be large and weird, but I wasn't prepared for just how large, weird, and good it would be. When I first saw the release that they were "closing" it, I had that split second fear of the worst before I read on.

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
That's curious. I wonder why? 15 years doesn't seem thaaaat old.
According to someone who posted about it on Reddit, the Chinese government has B&M coasters lifetime at 20 years, and the trains themselves are around 15 years lifespan, which taking out COVID closure, lines up. Guess the park felt getting new trains or having them rebuilt wasn't worth it if the track in the government's eyes has 5 more years left.

cookie

Giga Poster
Bellewaerde will be open for the winter this year, between December 9th and January 7th, with closures on Christmas and New Year's Day. This was originally planned to be introduced back in 2020, but the pandemic scuffled those plans.

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
According to someone who posted about it on Reddit, the Chinese government has B&M coasters lifetime at 20 years, and the trains themselves are around 15 years lifespan, which taking out COVID closure, lines up. Guess the park felt getting new trains or having them rebuilt wasn't worth it if the track in the government's eyes has 5 more years left.
This actually makes a good bit of sense. I can't really speak to the train life, but 20 years is a very common design life for steel coasters. In every other situation, it doesn't mean the ride needs to be closed. It usually just means that the ride is required to undergo more thorough inspections at more frequent intervals. As long as no issues are found, the ride continues normal operation. However, CSEI, the government authority for amusement rides in China, has some unique rules and regulations. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if steel coasters must be replaced after 20 years. We've already seen what appears to be a few other cases of this coming into play. Happy Valley Shenzen tore out their Vekoma mine train after 20 years and replaced it with a Jinma. Additionally, their Vekoma SLC closed last summer after 20 years and has been SBNO since.

Ries

Mega Poster
This looks epic i really hope they not removing the amazing tunnel of mist at the start of the ride that the best bit .

According to the blog. That one will be the same after refurbishment.
It is the scene after that one. With the water projection. The water curtain was causing a lot of problems yearly.
Here is the full size concept art: click here.

Oh. And I really love the change. Judging by the concept art. This is a major upgrade to the attraction.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You've seen mountain slides, mountain coasters and even those strange Chinese mountain water slides. But how about mountain go karts (arbeit ones that are unpowered)

This strange attraction can be found at OMG Heartbeat Paradise (yes the OMG is in the name) near Hangzhou, China.
View attachment 22995View attachment 22996View attachment 22997View attachment 22998
Reminds me of the epic Queenstown Luge:
0968a0c730f5e20282477375e198ae5f.jpg

(and one in Rotorua too, I think)

davidm

Strata Poster
I totally wiped out on the Rotorua one ; got some air (which the luge is not really designed to cope with as I immediately found out) and went over. Great fun tho' I did laugh at my incompetance.

That (and the pic above) are all tracks on a hillside though - that China one is all on stilts! Absolutely bonkers :)

cookie

Giga Poster
Puy Du Fou is looking to expand into the UK. The operator has instructed the real estate company Savills to look for a 400-acre site preferably within 40 miles of Oxford. The operator has also expressed interest in expanding to the US and China in the past.

STMOE

Roller Poster
Legoland Billund
Polarland's penguin area will be closing. The approximately 20 penguins have just left their facility in Legoland. The Kattegat center and a Belgian zoo have welcomed the animals, which have been a popular attraction in Legoland for 10 years, but now Legoland wants something new with the area. However, it will not be completed by the start of the season. No hints to what it could be.

STMOE

Roller Poster
Djurs sommerland
1. DS has released some pics from their phase 2 of Dinosaurland.
An ariel overview of the progress

Screenshot_20230204-135729.png

2. In addition
The plans for a hotel and campsite has gone through revision and been approved (after a complaint).
With the local plan in place, Djurs Sommerland is now working together with a Dutch company to draw up a plan for what needs to be built. A few things are fixed, among other things, that protective planting must be made around the future holiday park. The new local plan allows for up to 33,000 floor square meters, 450 hotel units and 300 camping units. However, it is only the framework, and it is not certain that the final project will go to the edge of the local plan, emphasizes director Henrik B. Nielsen. - We keep the options open. We look at the demand for spending the night next to the park and how it will be optimal for Djurs Sommerland to approach it. - We are certainly not going to build all of this at once - it would be neither possible nor appropriate. It will happen in several phases, he says. Henrik B. Nielsen cannot yet say when they expect to have the first part of the project finished.
IMG_20230204_145549.png

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
The old Miragica site in Italy has finally been bought at a price of 1.774 million euros, with the transaction set to be completed by July. No details yet on who purchased it or what they intend to do with the site, however.

STMOE

Roller Poster
Fårup sommerland announced their 2023 news.
This year's novelty will be a brand new large carousel - on two floors! The carousel will be themed in true Fårup style, and at the top of the carousel there will be room for parts of Fårup's history.
It moves in next to Motorbøllen, and the entire area around gets a huge overhaul with a new sandbox, new sensory area, new soft surface, and the areas ice cream shop is getting a huge makeover and will double in size and a new terasse.