What's new

Small News From The Theme Park Industry

The iconic Coney Island Cyclone was e-stopped on the lift hill Thursday due to a mechanical issue. Riders were evac'd without incident, but the coaster remains closed until repairs and inspections are completed. The park’s technical team told the city Department of Buildings, which gave Luna Park two violations for failing to maintain the ride and for failing to notify the agency about the incident, that operators found a crack on the chain sprocket in the ride's motor room.
The Cyclone reopened this weekend after undergoing repairs and maintenance that took a couple of weeks to complete.

Not the first time a Blue Fire has stalled in that position is it? Can't remember if it was Europa's or a clone, but this has definitely happened before in that exact location.

Presumably just an unfortunate mix of what wheels are used at the in the weather conditions, train weighting and power of the LSMs.

Not the first time a Blue Fire has stalled in that position is it? Can't remember if it was Europa's or a clone, but this has definitely happened before in that exact location.

Presumably just an unfortunate mix of what wheels are used at the in the weather conditions, train weighting and power of the LSMs.
It was a clone, In China I wanna say?

Go home, Maurer, you’re drunk

Something that kills me about the Spike is that it's a really cool angle on coaster design. It allows for all 3 axes of freedom at all times, you can accelerate and decelerate whenever you want, it completely ignores all physics limitations which means you can literally make the track do WHATEVER you want, it breaks conventions by being a powered thrill coaster (and being powered could allow for insane block zone programming too). The capacity of the coaster could realistically be "as fast as you can load a car/train".
But the thing is.
It's f**king Maurer. Which means they'll never get it right, it'll be plagued with problems and parks will be forever extremely skeptical on it because of how much of a disaster the two (park) prototypes have been.

They could be such an insanely cool coaster model if Maurer could just... get them to WORK. The insane flexibility of the track could be fantastic for parks with limited space as well. I kind of want to see this model built at least a little bit more, I am a bit of a "there's usually a reason why some coaster models aren't built as much as others no matter how interesting they may seem" but the Spike is something I'd like to see given another chance.