What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

Snoo

The Legend
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

Maverick used to be better.. but I've been saying that since I first rode it in 2007.. :)

Xpress

Strata Poster

tomahawk said:
this thing will have so much speed going into the second lift still.

Twisted-Colossus-Construction-32-1024x768.jpg

It has a brake section before the 2nd lift.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Did it have that in the original animation? Part of me wants to say it just kinda launched itself halfway up before it crawled up the rest of the way while waiting for the following train to get near it.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic

^ You are right. In the animation, it shows that the train banks before skyrocketing 2/3 up the lift, and going 2 mph the rest of the way.

I'm fairly confident the brake will somehow be a block, and the train will get released when another train is X feet from/up the lift.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

In the animation it showed the train not stopping and just running into that lift segment full speed and not even engaging the chain until the top. If I'm correct, they weren't even building the chain to reach all the way to the bottom. The only accurate possibility here is that it just barrels through that. The chain either has to reach all the way to the bottom and that train just creeps up the lift at a fixed pace or they just have it blow through that straight segment.

Xpress

Strata Poster

Some of the testing videos I've seen give an audible indication of braking.. So I am assuming it slows to a crawl or stops completely.

singforfood

Roller Poster

I couldn't help but notice how little coasting time there is on the ride. Each side clocks in at just about 30 seconds from disengaging the lift to hitting the brakes. I understand why they did what they did with the design, but I wish they could have extended it a bit more. TC is going to be 2.5 minutes of lift hill and 1 minute of coasting... not a great ratio.

ThomVD

Giga Poster

^ 1 minute of coastering is really decent to be honest. A lot of (good) coasters have less.

Xpress

Strata Poster

I think combined with the pre lift we're looking at roughly 1 minute 10 seconds of actual awesomeness- that's about on par with New Texas Giant and the lift hills on TC look to be relatively quick. Not many testing videos out there but it's not crawling to the top like Colossus originally did.

Rides like Outlaw Run (~35 seconds from lift to brakes) or Goliath (~40 seconds from lift to brakes) are even shorter than this!

singforfood

Roller Poster

ThomVD said:
^ 1 minute of coastering is really decent to be honest. A lot of (good) coasters have less.

It's not just the coasting time, it's the ratio of lift time to coast time (2.5:1). Most rides stick closer to 1:1 ratio (the better ones, 1:1.5)

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

singforfood said:
I couldn't help but notice how little coasting time there is on the ride. Each side clocks in at just about 30 seconds from disengaging the lift to hitting the brakes. I understand why they did what they did with the design, but I wish they could have extended it a bit more. TC is going to be 2.5 minutes of lift hill and 1 minute of coasting... not a great ratio.

ThomVD said:

This is very true.
I remember quite a few people commenting, "Well Outlaw run does look pretty short" and clearly no one cares now.

One thing you have to keep in mind, singforfood, is what is done in said coastering time. 30 seconds of "real" time on each side but look what happens during that time! Lots of airtime hills, flicks and the corkscrews and we have now seen it does move with good speed through there. I think it's a bit inaccurate to look just at ride time. There can be longer rides that are boring as sin, quality of ride, not quantity :--D

I think there is plenty of "ride" to make up for the lifting time and it won't feel like "all life, little ride"
This is just our usual needing to kill time before it opens, inevitably most everyone will end up loving this once they ride it no matter what was said before :lol:

John Knotts

Mega Poster

I also like the idea of meeting up with two different sets of riders on the lift hills. To me that will add to the ride, not subtract from it

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

I think a breather on the lift in the middle of a ride of this intensity actually makes a lot of sense

Dar

Hyper Poster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgKjv6L3Ag[/youtube]

This one shows the brakes before the second lift in action! :)

singforfood

Roller Poster

I wasn't totally sold on this ride for a long time, but now I seriously can't wait. The pacing is just unreal. Also, it shouldn't be long now before they start multi train testing!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Dat double down doh.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

There's forces in every direction on this thing. Love the looks of it.