What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron Horse

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | Twisted Colossus | RMC Iron H

That will be a constant sight....one train.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

It's wonderful when people are positive and hopeful about everything, keep it up tomahawk.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

When you've been to the park as much as I have, and have seen how they run attractions, it's a safe argument. Tatsu ran it's third train for a matter of weeks, X2 has three, only has ever run 2, Riddlers had a train shipped to Jersey and typically runs one. History repeats itself, expecting this to operate any differently is just foolish.

davidm

Strata Poster

Mysterious Sue said:
When's the expected opening for this then? Sorry to be lazy and not trawl through the topic (and it's not on RCDB). Later than Memorial Day then?

Asking cos I'm thinking of visiting end of June.
@Sue - looking good for you :)

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SFMagicMountain/status/593262305003098112[/tweet]

EDIT : sorry thats the same vine link that was posted above :oops:

Intricks

Strata Poster

So a couple Facebook pages have shared a video of Twisted Colossus testing.

Hoe. Lee. ****. This thing is FLYING for the initial test runs. This will be ejector filled at several parts and has actually given me lots of hope for the ride.

I would try to post it, but I am mobile and cba to deal with that right before bed. Umm, look up Thrill Capital Insider on Facebook.

singforfood

Roller Poster

Intricks said:
So a couple Facebook pages have shared a video of Twisted Colossus testing.

Hoe. Lee. ****. This thing is FLYING for the initial test runs. This will be ejector filled at several parts and has actually given me lots of hope for the ride.

I would try to post it, but I am mobile and cba to deal with that right before bed. Umm, look up Thrill Capital Insider on Facebook.

It looks INSANE. I really REALLY hope that's the actual speed of the ride and they don't trim it. Cuz like... wow.

Hutch

Strata Poster

Oh my god you're right this thing is relentless. :shock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWVcWrHNsvM[/youtube]

And apparently it's been announced to open May 23!

singforfood

Roller Poster

tomahawk said:
When you've been to the park as much as I have, and have seen how they run attractions, it's a safe argument. Tatsu ran it's third train for a matter of weeks, X2 has three, only has ever run 2, Riddlers had a train shipped to Jersey and typically runs one. History repeats itself, expecting this to operate any differently is just foolish.

I think the length of the ride is going to force them to run at least 2 trains for the foreseeable future to have anything even remotely resembling capacity. One train operation on a 4 minute long ride would mean hour-long (or more) wait times on even slow days.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Never stopped them with X and one train, 7 minute dispatch times were clommom. Tatsu two train stacks since they stopped using both sides of the station.

Holy hell that looks beautiful though. RMC is just amazeballs.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Holy crap, the ride looks amazing and the trains are beautiful. Any talks of it "looking slow" should be put to rest, it was really moving through there fast!
And unless I'm wrong, each ride goes through the circuit twice correct? One on each side? That alone is awesome.

Can't wait to get out here, and compare to WC :--D

mouse

Giga Poster

What kind of restraints do these things have?

Intricks

Strata Poster

^^ Yep, it goes through blue forst, then hits up green before returning to the station.

^ Seat belts and lap restraints.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I just realized a possible problem. Thurs thing is short as hell. Yes you do it twice but that list may kill all momentum. I hope I'm wrong though.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Just think of it as a mine train. A very crazy mine train.

The official ride time is 3:40. If SFMM is forced to go 2 train operation because of stacking with 3 trains... then god help us.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Intricks said:
^^ Yep, it goes through blue forst, then hits up green before returning to the station.

I thought so.
So that alone is pretty awesome, we can't gripe about it being short!

I'm a big fan of momentum, (and really hate rides that kill it or have terrible pacing) so this may seem crazy: I don't think the second lift is gunna be an issue. If you think about it, kind of like a hard MCBR in a way, except this one will have another lap of crazy s**t after it, so I don't think it'll be a momentum killer.

And again, it seems to be moving at a great speed. Not sure why this ride had so much worry, (while Outaw Run for example was awaited as the second coming) I think TC will be a top ride, even if it's one of the lesser RMCs...that is better than most! :--D

My only concern is the one echoed above, with a racing coaster and on a mobius track, and stuff needs to line up and operate smoothly....I don't trust Six Flags to do it right :lol: I fully expect the "racing" element will go away quick as they'll flub it up and yeah, SFMM is famous for its stacking issues, this one could become a disaster in that regard.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I too am not worried about the pause in the middle of the ride. Beast, Maverick, and every single Arrow Mine Train seem to get along with the mid launch/lift hill.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

The problem may be is what extent they will take at the beginning to sync the trains. Are they going to make the train wait on the lift for the horrible operations to get that next train out? Or are they going to just say **** it and have it go. I have more faith in ISIS no longer beheading people than this coaster being ran efficiently.

It took me until seeing the test runs to realize how much of the original ride they took away. The second turn is essentially gone, including all the next run. Yeah, you essentially have it replaced with the green part, but this thing will have so much speed going into the second lift still.

All those concerns voiced, this looks absolutely amazing, but I'm not confident they will run it to the best it can.

singforfood

Roller Poster

tomahawk said:
All those concerns voiced, this looks absolutely amazing, but I'm not confident they will run it to the best it can.

There will probably be some hiccups during the first week or two as the ROs get to know the ride, but I think the fact that it's the big new ride will attract the best employees.

Now guests on the other hand.... you can always count on them to destroy cycle timing on a new ride, especially on a busy day.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

If MM was smart, they'd load a train, and then wait until the first one came around to send it on its way. Ride would flow better if they make sure to stop only the train on the first side on the lift, to ensure the second one continues rolling.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster

Hyde said:
I too am not worried about the pause in the middle of the ride. Beast, Maverick, and every single Arrow Mine Train seem to get along with the mid launch/lift hill.

Precisely. Though ironically Maverick's pause is one that irks me a tiny bit :lol: