What's new

Six Flags America | Firebird | B&M Floorless Conversion (of Apocalypse)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ The front train piece is literally being mailed back to B&M as preservation in their office. ;)

Overall, glad they're floorless-ing the roller coaster. Definitely an important part of roller coaster history, and a fan of giving it new life.

Pear

Strata Poster
It wasn't even that bad as a standup. I quite enjoyed it!

I wonder when I'll try it out as I'm not exactly itching to get back to this ****hole in the next 10 years.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Agree with Pear here. Didn't find Apocalypse to be that bad. Sure, a little rattly and jolty here and there, but nothing horrendous. Actually glad the first ever B&M coaster stays.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
I'm another one glad it's staying, despite being bummed that another Stand Up is biting the dust. Old-school B&M designs aren't a thing that happens anymore, so I'd take it even with VR, on-board audio, minecraft/fort-night/whatever bull**** themed, and ads plastered on my face as I ride. Floorless will work just fine, though.

I've always thought B&M Stand Ups were among the most intense coasters around. Never had any issues riding them. I got to take a few spins on Apocalypse towards the end of August, and I was worried that, based on the hate it gets on coaster sites, it might have legitimately gotten rough since I last rode it at SFGAm.
Nope. Some people are just precious little vaginas. I even grabbed a last row ride- something I haven't tried in 10+ years (front row is the pure truth). Still fine.

I've really got to get out to Carowinds before they get any crazy ideas about Vortex.

Mitchell

Roller Poster
I feel like the company really wanted to call it Phoenix, knew they really shouldn't but deep down didn't want to let it go.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Oh yeah, this thing exists. Looks like a Reddit user was able to get a backstage tour or something and was able to provide an update in r/rollercoaster

0zc5uws4i1821.jpg

The nose and front car of Apocalypse's first train are going to B&M while the rest of train 1 and all of train 2 are being sent to Georgia for parts.

Firebird construction is underway, with electronics being installed and the new tire drives on site. Still waiting on parts for the new floor and the trains themselves, but the conversion of the station will be done by March, with the ride scheduled to open Memorial Day Weekend 2019.

https://www.reddit.com/r/path%3D%252Fr%252Frollercoasters%252Fcomments%252Fabv475%252F

kenny cook

Mega Poster
I'll be in the area around DC's spring break, and I was thinking of quickly getting through the park as fast as humanly possible. My goal is to: Enter, Superman (2x), Batwing (2x), Joker's Jinx (2x), Wild One (2x), Zydeco Zinger (1x), Ragin Cajun (1x) and get out as soon as possible so I can resume all the amazing things DC has to offer. The only thing variation I could possibly see is hitting any attraction that's strongly rumored/confirmed to be leaving, or if god forbid the government is still shut down and so I have time to ride each Mind Eraser, Great Chase, and Roar once. Quick Questions: How much time will be needed to do that? Would it be worth getting a Flash Pass? (I'd much rather have an extra hour or two in DC and use my Six Flags credit to get one) How crowded will it be? And is there anything else that I absolutely have to do? Thanks for your help!

Peet

Giga Poster
The only thing variation I could possibly see is hitting any attraction that's strongly rumored/confirmed to be leaving
I'd get yourself on Roar if I were you, it looks to me like there is a high chance that park's next big investment could be an RMC job on it (pure speculation).

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Would it be worth getting a Flash Pass?
over the last 20 years or so I've made one or two visits to the park, each year, and I've never seen the park with lines that would warrant getting a flash pass. Most of my visits have been between May and August. And while the water park might be jumping, the dry park is single train wait for the coasters. (I've had solo rides there on Joker, Superman, Batwing, and Roar!) Spin mouse might honestly be the longest line... Followed by Wild One. As far as noncoasters go, I'll almost always go on the drop tower. Even if it's only running two of the three cars it's normally a walk-on.... and the last two times I've gone I've gone on the Wonder Woman starflyer. Also just a single cycle wait.

Back a few years ago I did a credit run with a friend who had never been, got every coaster (with Superman twice) and left the park to head into DC via Largo Center, in under 2 hours. Got there at opening

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I went to SFA with Ye Olde Admin CP6 a few years back and i actually really enjoyed it.
First off i got an SF season pass there (i was visiting a few more SF that trip) and the staff I happened to deal with were excellent.

The coaster lineup is not that amazing but Superman is very good and Wild One is a solid ride as is Roar, I also unlike many others really like the Vekoma flyers so loved Batwing.
And to be honest like @Bathtub Gin I like old school B&M stand ups so i loved theirs.
Don't get me wrong its not an A Class park but considering the reviews i read before hand i was expecting to walk into a war zone. It is an OK park with a OK line up.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here is a pretty cool ACE presentation about Six Flags America, and shows us more details and renderings of Firebird:-
Firebird presentation starts at 7:03 in the video.

Video filmed by William Coldiron.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Looks fine. I'll be honest i'm glad i was able to ride this as a standup. Really wasn't that bad. thought it was the 2nd best coaster in the park (not a high bar I know). If this gives it a new lease on life i'm glad to see it around and kicking.

Lofty

CF Legend
I suppose it makes sense - match perfectly the colour of all coaster elements rather than trying to match different elements that were painted separately.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I know in Mantis/Rougarou’s case, there was also some gauging issue between the old and new braking hardware with the new trains; makes sense to get that sorted so you can test the coaster before worrying about track coloring. (Of course, CP started painting Mantis during the previous season, so you had this weird color clash of blue/black/yellow with orange/teal :p )

Matt N

CF Legend
Update: Six Flags America have apparently said that Firebird will open on or around 4th May 2019.