What's new

SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, 400ft drop tower for SFMM

I honestly cant wait for this. Im a fan of drop towers, and this will honestly be one I really look forward to the most out of the Six Flags new rides.

Dont get me wrong, Im plenty excited for X-Flight, Superman and Apocalypse, but The Swarm, Skyrush and Dollywood are more excitement for me. Since this is the ONLY flat ride I know I would enjoy, Im most excited for this :3

Switching between the hideouts'...

andrus

Giga Poster

kimahri said:
That does looks pretty intimidating, then again I don't really know what those drop towers are like compared to the Intamin ones and Det.

This is made by Intamin:
Six Flags said:
LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is being manufactured exclusively for Six Flags Magic Mountain by Intamin AG of Switzerland.

Lofty

CF Legend

I SO want this. The highest drop I've been on is Huracan and that's immense.

The only problem is, I wonder if it's going to have that rattling effect like Huracan?

Ben

CF Legend

I just hope it doesn't have the boring as **** effect that Hurakan does...

It's weird, Hurakan is rubbish, and yet Drop Zone at KD is sick, but there's not that much in it... Don't get it...

I'm so dubious with massive drop towers, but, HOPEFULLY it'll be more of a Drop Zone/Scream fabiola than a Hurakan piece of crap.

Either way, this is the PERFECT addition to SFMM. Fantastic for them. Best park in the World <3

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY&ob=av3n[/youtube]

My thoughts exactly. This thing is orgasmic (Huge droptower fan)

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

omg that looks unreal :)
So cool how they use the superman tower to support his villain's ride

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Who makes the drop towers where the seats tilt to face down when you are at the top? I can't remember but if it is Intamin, and they throw that in there, well, I will have to wear a poop sack because I will **** my pants. Every drop tower I go on I get nervous (only rides I really get nervous on anymore) and if the seats tilted, I would probably die. This makes this, what, the second fastest attraction at the park besides for Superman and tied with Goliath?

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^what, like Apocalypse at DM? That's Intamin.

Venom2053 said:
omg that looks unreal :)
So cool how they use the superman tower to support his villain's ride

A complete copy of dreamworld's giant drop on the side of the tower of terror...though just a bit higher!

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster

Just like everyone else I think it looks great. But.....................

No capacity. With 2 towers of 8 riders each, its capacity is 16. Power Tower at Cedar Point has 4 towers of 12 riders each, making it capacity 48. The ride looks great, but........no capacity.

Gazza

Giga Poster

^I kind of wish they had either

-Double decked the drop car, like the one that was at the Trocadero in London (Which was Intamin) to hold 16.

-If possible, just made the car wider than 8 seats, a bit like what Zamperla did with that drop ride at Adventure Island, which is 18 seats wide.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ I think the biggest problem GD at Australia has is that it sits at the top for so long. (a good 30 seconds)
But its so much apart of the ride, the waiting at the top its really quite terrifying, but yes it doesnt have the best capacity. I wonder if this ride will be the same or only stay at the top for a little bit?
Operations are just going to have to be really fast, overall the ride isnt very long.

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

For comparison sake, the ride will have a similar hourly capacity to the recently removed Freefall. Question is will it be as popular? In the beginning I'm sure, but 400ft will be pretty intimidating for some folks.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Disagree. It's no different to KK/TTD being 400 ft and being massivley popular.

Or the fact Giant Drop at DW is very popular with guests and can get massive queues (And We're talking a park that only gets 1.3 Million per year)

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Giant Drop does always have one of the longest lines.
And it can move quite slowly at times.

I think there will be huge lines and waits for this ride. Hopefully ride ops on this do an amazing job, and maybe Intamin has better technology to get the gondola to the top quicker.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Even if it does travel quickly, the capacity will still be poor.

Newtrek5

Mega Poster

It's a trade off. You'll just have to wait longer for a ride you really can't quite get anywhere else in the US. If I'm Intamin or SFMM, there's no way I'm passing this ride up just because of capacity issues.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Now I'm no expert on stuff like this, but how expensive is such a tall tower built from the base up? Because if somebody nearby builds a full-fledged 32-seat drop tower about the same height, this will lose all marketing value it has ever had. Is that feasible for any nearby or otherwise comparable park?

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, 400ft drop tower for SFMM

The only near by parks would be kbf, dlr, and stretch of sea world. Disney won't touch it, sea world has strict height limits and kbf has supreme scream, so not really possible, unless Vegas but that's still 4 hours away

Sent from my throne