Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Six Flags Magic Mountain Announces
LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

The World’s Tallest Vertical Drop Ride!

Another one for the history books, Six Flags Magic Mountain, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, announced today the world’s tallest vertical drop ride, LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom, will make its debut for the 2012 season. Named after one of DC Comics’ most dangerously intelligent super-villains and Superman’s greatest enemy,
LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom will be an engineering phenomenon, attached to both sides of the iconic SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. Soaring at a sky-scraping 400 feet,
LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is slated for a spring 2012 launch.

Fearless riders will be seated inside floorless gondolas on two vertical tracks flanking each side of the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton tower. Passengers on the gondolas will be pulled to the top of the tower, experience a brief pause before being released and dropped at speeds of up to 85 miles-per-hour. After five seconds of freefall, the gondola will be stopped by a sophisticated magnetic braking system just a few feet from the ground.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in delivering world-class thrills, and
Six Flags Magic Mountain is proud to be at the head of the pack, offering guests the biggest and the best,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain Park President. “We are excited to add another world record to our collection of record-breaking, first-on-the-planet attractions.”

Changing Magic Mountain’s legendary skyline, LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom will offer riders breathtaking panoramic views as they are lifted to the top of the tallest vertical drop ride ever built. Sitting eight abreast, riders will plummet 40 stories at an extreme speed before coming to a stop, all while the SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton cars are blasted to the top of the same structure.

“Six Flags Magic Mountain continues to deliver powerful thrills to our guests year after year,” said Jim Reid-Anderson, Chairman, President and CEO of Six Flags Entertainment Corporation.
“LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is a tremendous addition and brings a new dimension of excitement to the park’s already remarkable collection of thrill rides.”

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom is being manufactured exclusively for Six Flags Magic Mountain by Intamin AG of Switzerland.

DropOfDoom02_300dpi_8x10-485x387.jpg

DropOfDoom01_300dpi_8x10-485x387.jpg

D1993

Hyper Poster
Re: Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, 400ft drop tower for SFMM

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt this be the same height as the tower in Gold Coast?
I was under the impression that both towers were made identically in terms of how high they are and how fast they allowed the trains to go.

Oh never mind. I just did a few calculations and this ride beats the other one out by a couple metres. haha. I think this will be better anyways. Its at six flags lol.
Im happy that six flags havent obsessed over taking the title, and focused on putting in different sorts of rides. This will be absolutely fantastic, it will be really scary.

Plus, Couldnt they just switch one of the superman trains back to running forwards?
Then they'll have their 18th coaster there. esentially superman the escape and escape from krypton are two different experiences and I would definetly count it as two different roller coasters and credits.

Snoo

The Legend

^They are two different credits silly. I've only been on one tho. ;)

As for the drop.. epic. I really hope it can deliver.

Gazza

Giga Poster

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt this be the same height as the tower in Gold Coast?
I was under the impression that both towers were made identically in terms of how high they are and how fast they allowed the trains to go.
The two rides are exact clones in terms of track geometry, but because the vertical part of S:EFK is built off a hillside, the ground is further beneath you when you ride compared to TOT, making it "Taller". Though everyone knew that by now :S

Obviously LL:DoD will have its loading platform at ground level, so the higher total structural height has given them more distance to use for the drop ride.

D1993

Hyper Poster

^ Cool thanks! I just didnt understand before why this was taller.
I Really love giant drop its an absolutely fabulous ride, so this will definetly deliver!
poor GD no longer has the record. Oh well.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Jesus christ this will be terrifying. That's a HUGE height to drop from. The throughput will be dire though.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

If you look at the video on SFMM's website it looks like the lift up is going to be quite fast.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

My hatred for drop towers just grew even more, but seriously, THIS is what I wanted for a SFMM flat/drop tower. I always thought it would be epic, and well, it looks like it will be. If the lift is quick, I see capacity being moderately bad to bad, but it could be horrendous. Considering pushing back my visit over Christmas to the Spring, but, yeah, I will scream like a little girl the entire way down.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Well, there's one of the flats you've been asking for...

But it does have one of the worst names I've ever seen. Not only brand name abuse, but BRAND NAME ABUSE IN ALL CAPS!

Should ride well, though.

Inverse

Hyper Poster

Using the Superman supports should cut a fair bit of cost off the ride, clever thinking.

Drawin

Roller Poster

That look totally awesome and terrifying at the same time. O.O Lets all hope it will be as good as it looks. :)

Colossus

Giga Poster

That looks completely insane, almost perverted.

Martyn B

CF Legend

This looks crazy, I'm surprised they hadn't done already to be honest.

And I thought only coasters got stickied in here?

andrus

Giga Poster

Wow! That's immense!! I hope they sort out the capacity issue though, this sure is going to be a popular ride..

That looks absolutely insane.. I want to go to California anyway and this makes me want to go even more. I think I'd have an actual heart attack but it looks incredible.

marc

CF Legend

The only time you will ever get me close to that drop tower is when I am on the coaster :)

It does look great though.

kimahri

CF Legend

That does looks pretty intimidating, then again I don't really know what those drop towers are like compared to the Intamin ones and Det.

Another things is I used to Think The Kamikaze at Wet and Wild at the Royal Quays (yes there's a wet and wild in england and it's canny **** like) was intimidaing but it's not really that bad.