What's new

SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Tower

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Re: SF Magic Mountain |"Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom"| Drop Towe

This is one of the craziest drop towers i've ever seen. I love how it's built into the side of superman. It is very unique for that reason and it's height both make it a one of a kind drop tower. It would be one of my top non coaster rides to go on. I wish I could get out to Magic Mountain :/

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Not quite one of a kind. The idea's been around for 14 years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giant_Drop

This looks great though, especially with those open restraints. It looks amazing when it's all synced together with Superman, though whether that will happen in "real life" as opposed to the advertising videos, we'll have to see I guess.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Yes, it's the same ride as Superman at Magic Mountain, only with a single tower.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Oh okay thats where I had mistaken I thought it was just the tower but it is still much taller! :--D

Josh73

Giga Poster

This looks amazing! I want to go on it so bad!

Intricks

Strata Poster

Oh god....the girls face at 3:20 on the front page video.

Looks like she enjoyed the ride FAR too much :3

Gazza

Giga Poster

CoastingChris50 said:
Does the Giant Drop have a coaster built into it?
If you'd read the wiki link, or looked up the ride on google images, you would have clearly seen that the Giant Drop is built on the side of the Tower of Terror.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Wow. It's massive!

I love the synchronisation with Superman, I really hope they try and keep that up. :p

I'd have to really psych myself up for riding it though... :lol:

Brett7710

Mega Poster

Hixee said:
I love the synchronisation with Superman, I really hope they try and keep that up. :p
+1

I don't think they will TBH, it'll just be for the advertising and such but it does look cool. Although it won't add anything to the onride experience because you wont be able to see the other ride from either one.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ Although you can feel the tower shake as Superman comes up, so that would add to the tension.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Gazza said:
CoastingChris50 said:
Does the Giant Drop have a coaster built into it?
If you'd read the wiki link, or looked up the ride on google images, you would have clearly seen that the Giant Drop is built on the side of the Tower of Terror.

I didn't look it up on images and I just skimmed the article. Gavin already told me about it.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

This ride......
oh_sweet_jesus_thats_good_rage_face_meme_flyer-p244791156140405028b73co_400.jpg

Nic

Strata Poster

Hello, I'm here to answer some of these questions and stuff. First of all, go and read my PTR if you haven't already. Lex opening was Day 3 of my trip, but why scroll through when you can read the whole thing? ;) viewtopic.php?f=31&t=34557

Let's start with the biggie. I'd meant to put this in my PTR but just realised that I forgot. So, yeah... RESTRAINTS! The restraints do feel very open, and don't really come over your shoulders. However, as they give you something to hold on to at chest height, they're not half as terrifying as lap bars, so I would class them more as OTSRs. Even if you chose not to hold on to them, knowing they're there makes a huge difference, even subconsciously. I can't begin to imagine how much more mental this would be if those bars weren't there. So, yeah, that clears that up.

As for the syncing, sorry to spoil it, but I never once saw that happen IRL - not in testing, media day, or opening day. In fact, for the best part of an hour on opening day, I was convinced that they'd synced them to NOT go together (ie, the coaster would only launch when the drop tower was in the station loading and vice versa). It was only after a while when they started to be on the tower at the same time (although nowhere near synced together). I've never seen the two sides of the coaster run side by side like that either, although they did open both sides on opening day, but I didn't see them synced. I don't know if the two sides of the drop tower can be run independently, because I only ever saw them going up and down together at the same time.

The main shock for me was the throughput. They were eating through the queue at the ridiculous rate. However, the 2 ride ops were obviously working flat out to make it run as quickly and smoothly as possible, so how long they can keep that up for, I don't know.

As I said in my PTR, the ride is awesome. The climb up there is phenomenal, it feels like it just goes on forever! The drop is not as intense a feeling as on Apocalypse or Detonator, but miles better than Hurakan Condor. I really really enjoyed it.

Not that anyone's going to read this now it's been unstickied <///3

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

The electrical demand of launching both sides simultaneously and repeatedly would have to be insane. Lex would be nothing in comparison.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

When Tatsu opened, they brought all the best ride ops from across the park there for the first few weeks. a 5 hour wait was cut down to about 2 hours, the queue reached all the way past where jet stream crosses over the path. Then they stopped having said crew there, went to 2 train op, and it now has the horrible throughput that it has now.

So this will see the same fate I assume.

Martyn B

CF Legend

As I said in my PTR, the ride is awesome. The climb up there is phenomenal, it feels like it just goes on forever! The drop is not as intense a feeling as on Apocalypse or Detonator, but miles better than Hurakan Condor. I really really enjoyed it.

Thats how I was expecting it to be. Most people say that the bigger drop towers aren't as good as the smaller ones.

Nic

Strata Poster

^Hmmm, yes, most people do say that, for good reason, but it doesn't necessarily apply in this case. I enjoyed it as much, so would say it was equally as good as the smaller ones, but for different reasons. Hurakan Condor, however, is just ****.