What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Pipeline makes sense to people who know surfing. I suspect most Sea World visitors will be a bit confused though.

Ride looks interesting, I would say the movement of the seats will have a big dampener on it so it should be quite smooth how it works. Probably barely noticable to the average person would be my guess!
I'll rather take Pipeline: The Surf Coaster than Surf: The Pipeline Coaster. Also known as Ultra Twisters, these Togo creations were ... well, they didn't have a very good reputation, to put it like that.

EDIT: or am I confusing Pipeline coasters with Heartline coasters? Anyway, there's also this janky thing, which notably was one of the few coasters out there to break the usual steel/wood duality by mainly being built out of plastic.

Ethan

Strata Poster
EDIT: or am I confusing Pipeline coasters with Heartline coasters? Anyway, there's also this janky thing, which notably was one of the few coasters out there to break the usual steel/wood duality by mainly being built out of plastic.
I always think of those Togo torture devices as Heartline coasters, but maybe I just played too much RCT as a child! When I think of the Pipeline coaster, I'm picturing the Arrow model that never came to be (Secret Weapon 2 and that stuff we all know)

I agree though, Pipeline- The Surf Coaster just sounds far better.

Peet

Giga Poster
Did you do a trip report?
No I sometimes do them if I get time but probably won't for this trip since all the parks I went to are very well known. Who knows, I might feel inspired sometime!

Baby report - park was super quiet, we had to leave at 2pm to get to the airport but in that time we did:
Manta x2
Kraken x3
Journey to Atlantis x1
Mako x5
Ice breaker x2
And the orca show.

So it was a great half-day!

Matt N

CF Legend
This first turnaround is giving me 'bluefire' vibes.
To be honest, this entire ride gives me Blue Fire vibes for some reason…

Perhaps it’s the fact that it’s just the one launch, perhaps it’s the fact that it feels like a bit of a “prototype” layout like Blue Fire was; I don’t really know.

But whatever it is, something about this project gives off Blue Fire vibes to me… I don’t know what, because they’re not even overly similar rides!

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it looks goofy, but in a sort of fun and cool kind of a way.

I mean - it looks like a surfboard. :p

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
Semi-long time lurker but rare post'r here. As someone who comes from a board sports background this whole surf coaster concept is super strange to me. The reason being is your stance on a surfboard isn't chest forward as you are in the riding position for this coaster. Ones' stance is either "regular footed" (left foot forward) or "goofy footed" (right foot forward) in board sports🧐. I'm kind of surprised no one had pointed that out yet. The nickname for this thing should be the Rick Kane coaster as a result but then again; "no one listens to Turtle." 😝 I am curious to see how the vertical seat movement is received though.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Semi-long time lurker but rare post'r here. As someone who comes from a board sports background this whole surf coaster concept is super strange to me. The reason being is your stance on a surfboard isn't chest forward as you are in the riding position for this coaster. Ones' stance is either "regular footed" (left foot forward) or "goofy footed" (right foot forward) in board sports🧐. I'm kind of surprised no one had pointed that out yet. The nickname for this thing should be the Rick Kane coaster as a result but then again; "no one listens to Turtle." 😝 I am curious to see how the vertical seat movement is received though.
This stance was genuinely considered but was eventually discounted due to the belief it would increase nausea unacceptably. Can't really say if it would or not because my experience of riding coasters sideways is like everyone else (sans people who rode Spin Bullet) very limited.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Must say, that does look like a cool inversion.

Also, the train reveal has made me realise… this is the first conventional ‘2 in a row’ B&M…? There’s already the ‘tiered seating’ hypers of course.

It’ll certainly be different… worth a whirl!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Must say, that does look like a cool inversion.

Also, the train reveal has made me realise… this is the first conventional ‘2 in a row’ B&M…? There’s already the ‘tiered seating’ hypers of course.

It’ll certainly be different… worth a whirl!
Their kiddie inverts are two across. Though they're very weird, so I feel like they almost don't count as B&Ms...

tbarnesarc

Roller Poster
This stance was genuinely considered but was eventually discounted due to the belief it would increase nausea unacceptably. Can't really say if it would or not because my experience of riding coasters sideways is like everyone else (sans people who rode Spin Bullet) very limited.
That makes sense but I still feel that's a big stretch to try and tie the coaster to actual surfing when the stance is completely inaccurate. That may just be semantics to some though. I did notice one of the inversions was called a "cork alley oop". I know what a cork (short for corkscrew ironically) is and what an alley oop is but never heard them combined before. Regardless that was a big missed opportunity IMHO because a "rodeo flip" (from snowboarding) that surfers also learned how to do is a way better name for an inversion. Skiers also use rodeo flip so it could totally work for this coaster.🤙