What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Maw (and what I've done)

reddude333 said:
A park filled almost exclusively with coasters haha. It's reminding me of some of the crazy RCT1 scenarios requiring upwards of 10+ coasters of a certain caliber.

There are some Flats. I am aware that the ratio of Coasters:Flats is unreasonable. It's just I find it hard to theme a flat so it doesn't look like it's just plonked there.

It's easy in the ancient civilisation zone because I can sink them and put up brick on the side of the cliffs.

Lets be honest, Coasters are more interesting to use. I am reaching my limit of coasters. I mean I did a Junior Wingrider ffs :p

scw55 said:
It's just I find it hard to theme a flat so it doesn't look like it's just plonked there.
Just another argument for CSOs ;-) Don't worry, no pressure...I understand some people's performance issues...I don't judge you.

Rocks are pretty performance safe and can bleed into things.
I'll just plonk lots of rockeries around the rides.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Test Flight

Test Flight is a Family Wingrider. It exists to offer everyone a low-intensity experience of a Wingrider coaster. It has no inversion. It also has a considerably low maximum height. However, it still offers what all Wingriders must posses; near-misses.

All the enjoyment of sitting beside the track with fear that your body will be brutally spliced by the near scenery in a nice small bundle.

I had built this little menace over a month ago (it may even appear on the 'What I've Done recap'). It was only tonight I knew which may to theme it. I discovered that my processing lag was caused only by the illuminated parts of the Space Works kit. This meant I could use the dull-pieces without fear. Thus opening up my options again for building design. As a result this Coaster got a station and an environment. As did Maw.
Damn it, I forgot to screenshot Maw's station. Oh well.

Here's a legion of screenshots as usual.

2013-02-03_00001_zpsa73a1241.jpg

Station.

2013-02-03_00002_zpsfa5e8f14.jpg

First drop.

2013-02-03_00003_zpsc5b30ca6.jpg

Near-misses for all!

2013-02-03_00004_zpsf44468a0.jpg

Almost near misses.

2013-02-03_00005_zpsd42acc62.jpg

Through the coincidental key-hole caused by supporting the lift-hill.

2013-02-03_00006_zps9441a4d1.jpg

Block break cage.

2013-02-03_00007_zps8454b447.jpg

The almost face-plant bit.

2013-02-03_00008_zps356a91d3.jpg

Terrifying banked turn.

2013-02-03_00009_zps55bf8bf7.jpg

Bunny hop for the finale.

Safe to say I've shook the world of Family Coasters.
Now to build that Vertical Drop Family Coaster I've been planning...

What a brilliant concept and layout! You've supported it very well too...are we ever going to see POV's?

If I can work out how XFire works, hopefully.
It's just I have better things in my life than waiting 40mins to record 1 PoV so that is why I haven't recorded any yet, even for short rides.

Expect mega marathon upload when I sort something out.

The lack of brake run concerns me but I like the concept and execution otherwise. Great use of near-miss elements!

There is a break run. It's undercover.
However I can see a section where a pre-break can be placed which will reduce the lateral force on the final bend.

But yeah. I like how I've managed to include some elements of the big-wingriders (not the inversions) on this Mini-Monster scale. Near-misses, Banked turns.

I have found if you're building a low-down coaster, intelligent use of Helai are very useful for giving a good duration without sacrificing really weird layout.

Also consider using a brake section on the last decline/drop. Not only will that make it more realistic but it will also allow for a more gradual deceleration.

I need help

I played Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 through Steam. I was told if I played it via XFire I could film footage and not suffer from the unreasonable FPS lag. However, when I loaded my saved file (from starting via XFire), all my modded content didn't exist in the park.

What do I do to resolve this issue?

^ Very helpful :roll:

First off, what do you mean my modded content? As in CS and downloaded content?

If so, I may have a guess as to what's going on. For me, depending on which particular way I open a game (not just RCT3) it will load differently with certain save files missing etc. My guess is that opening it through xfire/Steam is viewed as a different game by the computer...maybe it only accesses the autorun file?

So have you tried running the game again the normal way? If so, what happened?

^The only reason I said that was because I truly don't know - I don't play RCT3 through Steam, just insert the disc and play.

My only guess would be that you'd maybe have to stick with Steam and the 2 FPS recording speed, but in all honesty it's not that bad. Provides a much more quality product than what something recording at the speed of Fraps would give you.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; Crag's List

Resolved my problem.
Sadly I don't have enough hard drive space to store the videos.
And the videos are really choppy :p So it's 1GB for a each choppy video.

On the plus side, pictures of my completed flier :D

Shot0024_zps33dbab4e.jpg

Station.

Shot0025_zps44e063f7.jpg

Lifthill

Shot0026_zps0ac29883.jpg

First drop

Shot0027_zpsb9ed96e7.jpg

Pretzel Loop

Shot0028_zps06203420.jpg

Shot0029_zpsa2802da5.jpg

Mid-Block section

Shot0030_zps6a5a616e.jpg

Shot0031_zps6a39ae96.jpg

Shot0032_zpsae693d4d.jpg

Shot0033_zpsac9de29a.jpg

Shot0034_zps29747c98.jpg

applause.gif

Looks great, but just so long as there isn't any clipping and there's sufficient space, as human beings are morons that will try to mutilate themselves.

There is no clipping at all.
However I think one rock is a bit too close so I will have to obliterate that next play.

I'm really gutted that I can't share a PoV. Perhaps if I can secure time, I and give myself something to do when waiting by my laptop, I will record one with the in-game one.
-
I'm going to put my Space Theme Park on hold. It's too big and full of much lag. As a result XFire recordings are terrible. I enjoy working on the park, but I feel self conscious about blasting this thread with 10 images each update because I cannot provide a PoV.

I will record a PoV for the flier, but my next park will be more generally themed.

Fantasy is great and old, but it makes filling the gaps hard. The Plug Scenery just looks weird if used intensely. E.g default Sci-Fi trees. The theme for the next park will be British Countryside. However, it doesn't mean there won't be some regions with a bit of fantasy. I think I've learnt a lot, and so i think I will be able to pull off an aesthetically pleasing Generic Park.

Don't get me wrong, it won't be a steel and concrete hell. But there will be grass. Think my first contest entry but with my current skill. Does mean I need to hunt down some user friendly CSs.

Also, can you guys suggest two utterly different coasters? No reason at all.

Re: Scw55's Share Thread; 2 POV + Teaser

Here's two PoVs.

That Flier
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbI1rEbs-Y8[/youtube]
Set
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDWT4_3Wy-Q[/youtube]

and a Teaser for my new park:

2013-02-10_00001_zpsf74870f2.jpg

What's this? A Wingrider that isn't death or Sci-Fi themed?! What is this madness?
Yes, that is an In-line Twist over the station; like in The Swarm but from the other direction. I wanted to build a coaster where if you're in the station waiting, you occasionally feel like you may get killed by the other train on the track. The Zero G Roll over the Queue and Exit paths were just opportunities.

The name is Skylark. A British bird that "dances" in the Summer sky. Typically it's raining with that screen-shot.