What's new

Scw55's Thread. Planet Coaster Calls (18-11-17)

Re: Scw55's RCT3 Thread. Desert Spoiler 2/7/13

Given the only Snake theming I can find is:
Lighting Torches which have a skin model.
Theme structures and trains: Looping Steel. Virginia Whirl Cars. Amphibian House. Snakerskelter.
Inventive use of CS objects that allow clipping:- The station is themed to be a rocky cave whose mouth looks very much like a snake's head.

I basically have shoe-horned in serpentined skinned rides and named them snakey-things (like Rapture, Slither, Sidewinder and Looping Coaster 1).

So there's an emphasis on desert theming because it's the only option. Makes a nice contrast from the Egyptian Zone (where the contest entry is) which will be in-your-face EGYPT BIATCHES. (I might have an insectoid area since the default scenery has the Safari tab with lovely mega insects and termite mounds.)

A problem I must decide upon is if I should add more vegetation or not. I am using the Western dried shrubbery because it fits more aesthetically.

The advantage of have dedicate-themed areas is that you're forced to place flat-rides to fill the area. My problem I have suffered from is that my last park-projects have drowned in Rollercoasters (except for the Snowy Arabic park).

I'm considering making this park a nocturnal park. Reason being is that the 'atmosphere' that's created at night time with a desert theming feels 'magical' to me. Something about the barren land and wide-open sky filled with stars that makes me feel good. As well as the interesting lighting effects of torches against rocky-sand and boulders.

(PS does anyone have a suggestion of what Support CS to use for supporting the "Looping Steel Coaster"? For the record, it takes the form of an LIM Coaster. I hate using supports that are ill-suited for the coaster type because it's frustrating to use, and then the final appearance looks awful)

Lots of cool ideas here ! The terrain textures mix is very fascinating. The coaster plays greatly with the landscape. One of your better work for sure ;)

I completely agree Port.

With a snakerskelter PoV mode you can have a 'sentry camera mode'. The skelter looks over the Wingrider's
interlocking corkscrews
and Zero-G (literal) hill. And, I could spend hours just watching it.
I'm in love with my coaster. I haven't had this response to anything I built before in RCT3. I've had feelings of "Wow! I built that!". But this is the first time I have been "This is so beautiful, I want to stare at this forever".

I have always wanted to emulate Nemesis in RCT3 in abstract. I think I have achieved it.

Re: Scw55's RCT3 Thread. Ssspoilerssss 2/7/13

Here's some more screenshots:

2013-07-06_00001_zps77de05dc.jpg

Cobra themed LIM Launch coaster. With two interlocking Cobra rolls.

2013-07-06_00006_zps7409ed7f.jpg

Snake-themed Virginia Swirlything.

2013-07-06_00004_zps04db7224.jpg

2013-07-06_00005_zpsb2a427cc.jpg

Wingrider's station.

2013-07-06_00002_zps5ca44ed3.jpg

Wingrider's first drop.

I have essentially completed the rides in this region. I now need to make sure that there's no clipping with newly-added vegetation to the wing-rider and then spend 3 hrs recording PoVs :D

Re: Scw55's RCT3 Thread. Another Dueller 22/7/13

That Moment When You've Almost Finished Two Duelling Coasters And You Realise One Of Them Had Low Friction All This Time
Horrified-Man.png

I am currently building two Coasters that Duel. They are a B&M Floorless and a B&M Flying Coaster (originally Verkoma Sitdown and Suspended, but complications). Had been going well. They were synchronising well with some unconventional duelling elements, and traditional. (The inverting nature of the Flier added as nice flavour with some elements).

I built a finale where the Floorless was below and the Flier above, and both were doing a few 'bunny hops'. I was confused that the Floorless was rocketing ahead. I checked the friction, and yeah... the Flier had it disabled... I enabled it, and now the Flier rockets ahead.

I need to work out a resolution to this. I dread how much track revision I need to do... I just hope the floorless can cope without friction. It's easier to deal with too little speed as opposed to too much.

I'll update this post later today.
-
I have to redo the majority of the coaster... Oh well. I just hope the strategies of tackling some of those great elements are still in my brain.
-
I've redone the coaster. In a annoying way I benefitted from this problem. The layout is better as a result.
Now I need to do some terrain work. Then the supports. Then the themeing. And then remember things I have forgotten.
Now, teaser screenshots of a few interactions:

2013-07-22_00001_zps7f2b644d.jpg

2013-07-22_00002_zpsf63d0d21.jpg

The finale. Brown is wanting some interlocking corkscrew action too.

Small update:

I've been quite busy recently due to stress at reality.
As a result I hadn't had a chance to play RCT3 in till yesterday.

What I achieved yesterday was supporting the Flier (in the duelling coasters) and some terraforming.

I must admit the theming for this ride isn't exciting. I've already produced two desert themed coasters. This is the problem I have with my RCT3 parks is that I am limited by the scenery at my disposal (and the majority of CS is not what I want, or is not user-friendly). Therefore my enthusiasm for this duelling coaster is quite low. I've already done the exciting bit, all I have left is the boring time-consuming bits. If I was excited about the theming then it wouldn't be too bad.

I now need to think what I will do 'next'. So I can get excited about doing that, and therefore making support work less boring.

I've been toying with the idea that in the future I can revisit some of my old project-park and edit them/add to them and essential utilise my new-found experience. The concepts of my old projects were pretty good; Frozen Horror land (as an example). Arabic Desert.

I think however Winter-Arab land will stay how it is. I essentially cannot do anything more with it.

My RCT3 keeps crashing. After about an hour of gameplay.

As a result, after submitting my entry to Metalhead's contest, I'll be taking a hiatus from RCT3.
I will however will take screenshots and a PoV video of that snakey-area of my desert park.

It is frustrating that I will be taking a break due to technical problems, but at least on the plus-side I can produce hand-drawn ideas. So, if in the future I am able to play RCT3 for good periods of time, I have a wealth of ideas I can draw on.
Basically I either need to get a better computer or work out what's causing my crashes.
(It started to crash after doing that park for Metalhead's contest, so it could be isolated to that park-only. But I have not been able to work out *why*. I haven't done anything I don't usually do.)

That's sad to hear. Perhaps you need to delete a few files in order to clear some space?
To be honest, I've been playing a diminishing amount of rct3 due to your neat phrase "stress in reality" and didn't play a single moment over the summer.

All I can recommend is to maintain perseverance and save incessantly....think yourself lucky the game still works and hasn't thrown a tantrum and had a complete memory wipe instead :--D

I play RCT3 when I have a good period of free time (and I am in the mood).
Which means crashes after each hour, one after another is tireing.

I did delete a few files. I suspected that a custom flatride was the problem (first and only CFR I downloaded) as it crashes when I 'select it'.

But no. I also thought it was because I had
two peep generator points
but that wasn't it.

There could be another reason, but it would reveal an aspect of my entry to the contest (thus therefore ruin the point of the enigma). But I haven't had this crashing problem before when I used this aspect. Then again, last time, this aspect was not using CS.

Space isn't an issue as I have 3GB free.

Last time it crashed I pressed fast-forwards and moved the camera...

Re: Scw55's Thread. Sidewinder POV (L+R) 4/11/13

Here is the POV of the long-awaited Sidewinder. A B&M Terrain-Hugging Wingrider.
It seems Wingriders have been my most successfully received coaster designs so far. Which is odd given how horrid they are at clipping. My game didn't crash when recording these, so perhaps my game error was tied to that specific saved file.

Enjoy the dusty devil and thoroughly filled snake-themed area.

This is my first POV recording of a Wingrider. I endured the boredom of waiting for the recording (40mins each) by raising my Pokemon in Pokemon Y.

POVS!

Right Side
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z6dUgrXeWM[/youtube]

Left Side
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzdo_csE5Eg[/youtube]

The theme is of the great Desert snake called a Sidewinder. If I explained its name more than that it would ruin all the uninetional puns that came from the name.

Thank you^^

My game didn't crash when when I was recording this ride, which makes me think it was tied to my contest park.

I'll return to RCT3 when I get a good idea.

I might try to make another winter-park since I always loved the change in gradient from snow to rock. Gives me a chance to try out the Crystal CS.

Good job scw ! I find the layout exciting and the interactions work very well - that's how Wing Riders should be in terms of headchoppers. The pace of your coaster is mastered and the mix of inversions is fantastic. Your terraforming efforts are good but I believe you can still improve. Mixing shades of sand, dark and light, might make your landscape even prettier. Here's examples taken from Matt9537's Art of Textures :

GhostTown.jpg

Shot0492.jpg

In both pictures, I love how Matt blends random texture variations between light and darker sand for the flat terrain, with distinctive mixtures of rock/sand texture to mark the sharper changes in elevations such as cliffs or mountains. If you do not already know it, his website is a prime source of inspiration when it comes to terraforming ! Link

I know what you mean Port.

But I find the sudden shift in colour tone quite jarring. Matt seems to be conveying a Fantasy terrain (texture-wise).

Simply, the game lacks the tools to convey my intent for the landscape in a nicer way.

oman_desert_landscape_arabian_desert.jpg

If there are any shifts in colour, the gradient is a lot more subtle. That is what I wanted to convey.

Re: Scw55's Thread. Teaser (1/2/14)

New year, new park.

I feel like I did as much as I can on my Desert themed park, so I started a new park.

Again, I decided to visit a theme I have already done before: snow. This time I want to execute my improve skills. I have always felt that my most succesful park was the Winter Island (despite the troublesome Impulse Coaster).

Here is a teaser:
2014-02-01_00001_zps365da1d9.jpg

A combination of things happened which caused me to return to RCT3.
I found a way to record video which doesn't take forever.
I resolved an issue I had with a set piece I had for my park. And it's going to look amazing.

I'm still on my course, so that will drain my time and enthusiasm. But on days like this, I can dedicate a whole day to effectively start a Coaster from scratch and almost finish it.

I think within one more session it will be finished.

Re: Scw55's Thread. Cryo (4/2/14)

Cryo

Type: Maurer Söhne X-Train.

Story: They said in the days that came, that the wind bit at your skin. The cold of the wilds seeped into the very fabric of creation itself. It was the dead of winter, the shortest days. They had never experienced a winter like this in living memory.

Some say it came from the lone pool that sat just out of the village. The pool has always been a curiosity of these parts. Despite how cold it got, the smooth silvery surface never solidified. Its lustrous waters would freeze all that would enter it, but freeze, itself would not.

What ever happened, no one survived. The village itself was petrified or suffocated. The wooden beams were glazed with such black ice. Anything else was buried beneath a bed of snow.

No one dares to come to these parts anymore. Not now. The only thing you can seek here is your own demise. Cryo rules this desolate kingdom.

POV: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv5X4hpeLX4&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Pictures

2014-02-03_00007_zps5687b9fa.jpg

2014-02-03_00003_zpsd30fe1c5.jpg

The station. Themed based on a Chapel.

2014-02-03_00004_zps7110eb64.jpg

2014-02-03_00005_zps4caedc62.jpg

2014-02-03_00006_zpsc6e0c1ba.jpg

2014-02-03_00008_zps8d743080.jpg

I'm quite pleased how it turned out. I made this for a contest on another RCT3 forums, but I felt it was so good, I wanted to share it on my thread here too. Yes, the first third is heavily using Reddude's Theme it! contest Coaster track, but that's because I think that sequence of things worked very well. I also painted myself into a corner of where I placed the station.
I made an error with the first drop before the lift hill, as I remembered it wrong. But I salvaged it.

I recorded the PoV using Fraps, so expect perhaps more interesting videos from now on, or PoVs of coasters I wasn't able to record before (maybe that Duelling Wingrider?)

^ Thank you.

I found a slight issue with designing coasters in Rural Settings. Theming is difficult since there is only so much you can do with plants and rocks. You also don't want to drown the area with structures.
So there's a challenge of making the area interesting whilst using very little.

(I'm not fond of the industrial-looking coaster projects in RCT3 which tries to emulate an Amusement Park)

Nice work! Great layout and your usage of CS really contributes to the overall experience - I'd love to see you expand the park!
However, I'm not certain the 90 degree turn or the inversion are typical of a hyper though..but I suppose rct3 is not so much centred on realism! Also, I would have loved to see a rock-work tunnel perhaps?

Oh this coaster type doesn't invert?
Does the 2x across train Mauher invert then?

I'm currently contributing to the Towerstimes RCT3 contest thread, and they hold a contest weekly. Due to my limited time, I can only add more to this park if it fits the theme.
I have a set piece I am working on which I hope will look epic.

I didn't do a rock tunnel because I've made them before and they look... crude sometimes. I wanted a very open ride, but the criteria called for at least 2 near misses.

I currently have this ice park and a new sci-fi park on the go.