What's new

Rome, Italy | Cinecitta world | movie themed park

peep

CF Legend
Judging from the concept art it looks like it'll be generic themes with maybe the odd homage to particular films.

I get the feeling they could have an attraction which showcases a montage of films that the studio was used for.

There's a lot of interesting attractions in there though which excite me.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The elephants in the concept art are clearly a reference to the Babylon scene from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance. The actual set reportedly was still standing on the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard for a few years after the film came out, until it was torn down due to it becoming a fire hazard.

annex-griffith-d-w-intolerance_02.jpg

It's kind of iconic as one of the biggest and most expensive film sets ever built, and has sort of become a symbol of overblown Hollywood extravagance partly down to the fact it was basically just plonked in full view of the public for years.

The Hollywood and Highland Center has built a really tacky reproduction of part of it, so tourists to Hollywood today will still see the reference.

Hollywood&HighlandQuad-small.jpg

So yeah, it's quite fitting to reference it in an "homage to Hollywood".

peep

CF Legend
I think the fan site listed it as an Intamin drop tower so it would make sense that we would see one being built. Should be good, no idea how high it's meant to be though.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Did you know that they start building from the top and use hydraulic rams to lift it up and put the next section underneath. Saves on costly crane equipment.

;)

_koppen

Hyper Poster
lavori-torre2-Medium.jpg

from ThemeParksitalia.

based on how high up the magnets go, I would guess arounsd 70 meters high.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
It says on screamscape that the parks first phase will be ready by 2013. Does this mean some of these ride might not be open in 2013 or are these the main rides for the first phase.

peep

CF Legend
^There's a second park but details as to it's line-up etc haven't been leaked or anything. This is the first stage, I can't remember the order of the rest but there's hotels and some huge field thing. It's a long term plan though I think so don't go thinking about that just yet.

All the rides you've heard about so far will be in the first phase park.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
A little update here, the tower has reached about 50 meters of height already.

I think I'm gonna visit this park next summer!
Btw, Italy is shaping up to be a dirty, dirty Intamin country <3

142128d1353457716-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-torre3.jpg

142173d1353542211-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-backlot-medium.jpg

142178d1353542225-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-passaggio1-medium.jpg

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
And we have theming on the drop tower! :-D

As well as what looks like some tall footers for the 10-inverter. Hope that they aren't gonna be like those ugly ones on S:ROF.

145742d1356133953-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-torre0.jpg

145728d1356133825-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-cupolatorre.jpg

145729d1356133833-neu-2012-13-cinecitta-world-mainstreet1.jpg

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I think it looks pretty good. It's not how my own drop tower would look, if I were to ever build one, but still pretty good.

Bentleya

Mega Poster
Does anyone have any recent information or news on cinecitta world? I'm off to Rome in May, but it's not looking very likely this will be finished by then.

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out what the situation is with this park. I'm now assuming a 2014 opening because it still looks pretty much like the photos last posted. I'm not sure if this is just a lazy/slow construction site or there's something else to it.

The fact the website isn't even active as a hub for opening times and ticket prices etc rings bells as to a big delay being announced soon.