What's new

RMC "ask me anything" on Facebook produced some answers

Re: RMC

An RMC at Alton would be very nice wouldn't it? I wonder what 'world beating' or 'world first' it'd have for Merlin to be able to launch their advertising for it? ;)

Jordanovichy said:
An RMC at Alton would be very nice wouldn't it? I wonder what 'world beating' or 'world first' it'd have for Merlin to be able to launch their advertising for it? ;)

World's first inverting wooden coaster at a Merlin Attraction?
World's first inverting wooden coaster with OTSRs?
World's shortest inverting wooden coaster?
World's highest number of colours used to paint the track?
World's first inverting coaster constructed using 10 inch bolts?

^Hmmmm, it's possible, but I think Merlin are going to go all out with this...if indeed it happens at all. But I reckon if they do it...they'll do it properly.

If it did happen, what year would it be? Because, as far as I know, there's been no changes to the 2016 on the LTDP?

Dont they have a Valley for potential use that allows for a sustained drop of pretty big height?

If the track doesnt level out at any given point before the bottom of the drop, wouldnt they be able to market the Longest drop on a wooden coaster?

^^ 2017 I've heard, whichever UK park it's going to. Might be completely wrong though!

^^^If I had to guess, I'd say 2017. I don't know where they'd put it but some clearing would have to happen...even if they put it on the site of an existing coaster.

^^That is possible. I'd like to see it there, but the valley does offer an area away from the noise for those who aren't necessarily theme park inclined (my father for example :lol ).

^If you look on Google Earth, the valley's huge though! I'm sure they'd be able to find a spot out of the way. :wink:

Didn't they have problems with using the valley? I'm sure one of the main reasons the planned cross-valley woodie was rejected was due to concerns over the valley's trees, or something.

Just saying, a RMC addition in 2017 would fit rather nicely into the Alton timeline of having a major investment year, a year after Thorpe. Here's to praying that it doesn't go to Flamingoland, it would outshine all the other creds and the operations would be dire.

Valley coaster won't happen at Alton due to planning regulations and noise pollution to the Alton village.
Would be nice though.
More likely I imagine on the log flume site.
Alton needs a bit of wood.

That won't happen. LWV do not have the money. It is looking like another dry year for them without anything new

Ian said:
Hi Daymo, welcome to CF. There's no such thing as a stupid question!

I reckon there are three reasons why Blackpool haven't RMCd a woodie or two. I'm speculating so don't take it at face value.
1. Money. There's not enough spare cash to invest in new rides with grants or sponsorship (like they did with Nick Land and Wallace.

Quick correction here, but BPB wouldn't be receiving "sponsorship" money/grants for Nickelodeon or Wallace.
Normally, for the use of characters theme parks would pay a licencing fee and a cut of merchandise sales to an IP holder.

For this money paid, the park typically gets exclusive use of these characters within a certain geographical radius, increased pulling power and recognition (As opposed to a generic kids area)

...And sometimes some degree of design/creative work done for the park (Which ensures the characters are depicted true to the style guides of the IP holder)
For example Nick has a division called Nickelodeon Experience Design which provides these services.

Nickelodeon Experience Design creates attractions, resorts, retail, live shows, exhibits and special events for Nickelodeon. The group develops Nickelodeon’s dynamic characters and programs into real world permanent and temporary environments globally.
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/12773671

Which handles creative work for their properties, plus for theme parks that have paid to have Nick in.

This all differs from an actual "Sponsorship" (For example Pepsi Max naming the big one, Six Flags putting chewing gum adverts on El Toro, Lights Motor Action in Orlando being "brought to you by Brawny" where a park basically accepts being an advertising billboard for rent.

Towers won't be able to build in the valley, otherwise we already would have a wooden coaster there...

Most likely location is the Air car park for any coaster (and yes, 2017 is the next big investment year)...

Gazza said:
Ian said:
Hi Daymo, welcome to CF. There's no such thing as a stupid question!

I reckon there are three reasons why Blackpool haven't RMCd a woodie or two. I'm speculating so don't take it at face value.
1. Money. There's not enough spare cash to invest in new rides with grants or sponsorship (like they did with Nick Land and Wallace.

Quick correction here, but BPB wouldn't be receiving "sponsorship" money/grants for Nickelodeon or Wallace.
Having met Amanda on several occasions, I do know they have partially relied on grants to fund their recent attractions. They did so with both Nick and W&G. This article on the new Red Arrows ride does back that up: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/527820 ... sure-beach

Back on topic, do not rule out Alton Towers. And judging by AT's innovative approach in the past, I'd expect something slightly different to the "standard" RMC.

^Keep up, I posted that on Saturday ;)

Jordanovichy said:

elephant58 said:
^Launched. Locked in.
If we're locking statements in, I'm launching a guess for Forbidden Valley at Alton Towers.

Of course, Flamingoland could throw a curve ball but that's educational guessing based on speculation. If speculation if rife, then the second part of The Ultimate at LWV is crying out for RMCing. Can't see that happening but I'd love to eat my words.