What's new

RMC "ask me anything" on Facebook produced some answers

Re: RMC

marc said:
Nemesis Inferno said:
marc said:
Well just thinking out loud that Thorpe are meant to be getting a new coaster for 2016 and let's be honest if any uk park was to get one it would be them.

But they're getting a dark ride instead, so that's not happening...

Is the dark ride for 2015?

2016, it's pretty much a replacement for the coaster investment...

Won't see another large investment at Thorpe until 2020 with the way Merlin are approaching it...

I don't know how many times I have to say it but since Merlin went public, their budget has been restructured. There is a 20% reduction in budget. Parks get several hundred thousand Pound budget year 1-4 then a multi-million Pound budget in year five.

Going back to the topic, RMC's European projects. We know there is Wildfire.

When I met Fred Grubb at SFGAm last year, I asked him outright if there is going to be a RMC in the UK. His body language and eyes said "yes" even though he "cannot comment". I'd be very surprised if the UK didn't get a RMC, but it's case of who. Thorpe's multi-million pound budget for 2016 has gone on the dark ride. It wouldn't suit Lego or Chessington.

Other UK parks? Flamingo are always looking for a new coaster and a few years ago Nick Buckley did say he was desperate for wood. RMCs are affordable, so who knows? Flamingo could go for it. What other "big" UK parks are left? Blackpool - Nah, no space or money. Medium sized parks such as Lightwater, Pleasurewood Hills, Oakwood, the Crealy's and Pleasure Island, M&Ds are unlikely to go for a big name like RMC on their current budgets.

Deduction leaves Alton Towers and Drayton Manor. Drayton are back in the black and were looking at new coaster for the "big boys" a few years ago. I think it's a toss up between the two.

This is speculation. I honestly have no idea and I might be **** at reading body language.

Ian, do you think Drayton Could squeeze an RMC in without the removal of Shockwave? Just had a quick peak on google maps and i cant work out a site boundary for the park and it looks pretty cramped. Was just thinking as i would say Shockwave is a good selling point of the park and is arguably the parks headline coaster. Do you think they could/would remove it?

Yes, they have the big camping ground on the left as you drive towards the car parks and the field next to the Buffalo coaster (they could even remove the Buffalo). They did have plans for a coaster in the field near the Buffalo a few years ago...and it went over the lake. There's no reason why an RMC couldn't slot in there. Although I doubt they have the capital to build over a lake. They won't remove Shockwave.

A RMC needs to be brought to the asses in Europe. The only three countries where it would receive top attention, in my opinion, are Germany, Holland and the UK. Seeing as Vekoma are RMC's suppliers in Europe, the Netherlands could be a safe bet.

A Robin Hood RMC conversion <3 <3 <3 <3

Because let's face it, there won't be an RMC in Efteling or Toverland, and the smaller parks can't afford it.

I think the whole "Thorpe are getting a dark ride in '15 so they won't get the coaster for '16" thing isn't necessarily fact. Things change. I keep saying and I'll say it again - there's probably a time when 99% of rumours are true. By the time they widdle down to us from those developing the plans, they've been tossed out or edited beyond recognition or delayed.

That said, yeah it's unlikely with the dark ride eating up budget, but consecutive years of high investment DO happen and will happen if the company thinks that is is worthwhile for some obscure reason. They will go outside their "planned budgets" if need be, and dock budgets from elsewhere to make it happen. Look at how Smiler DESTROYED Zufari's budget! You have to remember that this dark ride will leave a huge gap between large thrill ride investment at Thorpe. A larger gap than they've ever had. I bet there are plenty of people in the company with skeptical, worried glares.

I'd love to see a valley coaster for Alton, and maybe they've considered these for it. But you could list off a bunch of really exciting ride types that I bet they've considered for that. It's finding the right one and the right way to approach the planning. They definitely want it to happen because it's such a great location - and several of Wardley's interviews imply they've tried numerous times outside what we know about.

Who says RMC needs to convert a coaster to make an I-Box coaster?

Ever since Iron Rattler was announced, I've been wondering if RMC could build an I-Box coaster from scratch. Knowing that only a few wooden coasters exist in Europe, I'd think that a custom I-Box coaster is most likely. Also, didn't RMC say that 2 projects will utilize the I-Box track? ;-)

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

I just want to clear up the assumption that RMC coasters aren't that expensive. Sure, New Texas Giant's Iron Horse conversion and Outlaw Run were only about $10 million apiece, but those were special deals that Fred made to get the ball rolling (so to say). The price has risen significantly with each new build and it will likely take an investment of double that for a new RMC or a major I-Box conversion (especially in Europe).
I would love to see Robin Hood (or Bandit) get an RMC once over, but would Walibi Holland spend that amount on their woodie over adding a new attraction? (And Movie Park Germany just had Bandit re-tracked a year ago.)
That being said, I would think that they can build something smaller or convert a small woodie for less. Alan Schilke did hint that an additional project could pop up over the next year or two when we spoke on camera at IAAPA.

Not last year. It was more like 16 months ago and it was closed when I visited the park, so I didn't get to ride it and can't comment on if it is significantly better now.

ECG said:
I would love to see Robin Hood (or Bandit) get an RMC once over, but would Walibi Holland spend that amount on their woodie

Not while warehouses of cheap paint and crappy cartoon character makeovers still exist.

Okay stupid question (& my 1st on this site!), so please feel free to jump on me, but is there any reason why one of the old classic Wooden rides at BPB hasn't been considered as a possible candidate for an RMC overhaul? I know they're not a big hitter as regards finances, but it's still as popular as ever & it's been an age since they had a Major new ride (I know the Red Arrows flat is in the pipe, but I wouldn't call that a MAJOR investment, although I'm still looking forward to it!), Surely it's not inconceivable for them to splash out a bit for once & give AT a rocket up their Arse. :D

Hi Daymo, welcome to CF. There's no such thing as a stupid question!

I reckon there are three reasons why Blackpool haven't RMCd a woodie or two. I'm speculating so don't take it at face value.
1. Money. There's not enough spare cash to invest in new rides with grants or sponsorship (like they did with Nick Land and Wallace.
2. Sentimental Brits - Can you imagine the uproar from traditional few who hate change if they decided to alter a "classic" woodie? The publicity would be very negative.
3. Amanda and Nick Thompson haven't ridden one. Contrary to popular belief, she likes and rides coasters. As far as I'm aware, she has not experienced a RMC, so she can't make a decision.

I don't think any of the BPB woodies are big enough for a good conversion and they're pretty much all deeply interwoven with each other so there's not much scope for remodelling IMO. BPB prides itself in being quite traditional so I'm not sure it fits their image. Having said that they might need to reshuffle things soon as they're running out of space for anything large.

I wish Merlin would just hurry up and get a woodie or RMC! I feel like they probably want one but just can't commit to it as it's a bit of a risk! Hopefully it's just a question of when not if! We can all dream!

SilverArrow said:
I wish Merlin would just hurry up and get a woodie or RMC!

For the RMC part they can't just hurry up an get one, there's a huge line for it.
Only the ones who where early adopters are gonna be getting one within the next years.

^Not only "early adopters" are getting one. There is one (or maybe two) that had a "late" request and is getting one.

_koppen said:
SilverArrow said:

For the RMC part they can't just hurry up an get one, there's a huge line for it.
Only the ones who where early adopters are gonna be getting one within the next years.
Yeah, stand by for 2017.

_koppen said:
SilverArrow said:

I meant more in terms of make a decision on it- but obviously they're never going to tell us until it's all sorted! We'll just have to sit tight and see!

Pierre said:
ECG said:
^ :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Rude. As well as the others mocking with sarcastic posts along similar lines after.

At least constructively post your reasons why what Owenrita said was so ridiculous in your opinion?

This is why I barely read the N&R forum - everyone knows everything and if you step out of line, you're a mug.

This. =D>

Think it's between Flamingo Land, Drayton and Alton and I think the latter is the least likely tbh. Racking my head to try and remember if there's any space at FL to put it, where Corkscrew used to be maybe?