What's new

RCT 3 Competition - Time Machine

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Very interesting contest idea in my opinion ! College resumes only in October for me so I'll have some time available for RCT3 for sure. I'll try doing something.

scw55

Hyper Poster
So far, I've written notes about what I want to do in a notebook... I might get round to doing something in-game this Tuesday.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
scw55 said:
So far, I've written notes about what I want to do in a notebook... I might get round to doing something in-game this Tuesday.
I should do that. I think about doing that sometimes, but then I always forget and just make something.
However, I am proud of mine, and its getting on very nicely. I think I'm very proud of it because I learnt something new in RCT3.

scw55

Hyper Poster
JammyBand said:
scw55 said:
I should do that. I think about doing that sometimes, but then I always forget and just make something.
However, I am proud of mine, and its getting on very nicely. I think I'm very proud of it because I learnt something new in RCT3.

Only because I haven't had the enthusiasm to play RCT3 when I get home, but had 'free time' in College (waiting for class).

I did a bit of 'note making' for a coaster (Sidewinder) (drawing a valley) and it helped a lot.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
Omg. I have news, and its not good. Well, it appears my laptop has pretty much died because I overloaded the RCT3 file a bit too much. Basically, its got lots of water, and I custom supported a wooden roller coaster for the first time, meaning lots of little parts and reflections, and now my laptop flickers and the pixels all break, and the computer sort of freezes when I load the file. And it doesnt even get past the loading screen! I have to force shut down the laptop. Hmmm. I've got 3 save files of this, but they all have the same thumbnail, because after a certain point of making the park, the thumbnail didnt change when I saved it, so I think the same will happen with all of them. I will have to see if any of them work. Darn it!

(Isn't it strange how something always goes wrong in these competitions!?)

scw55

Hyper Poster
^I get file corruptions when I have water which 'goes over the park's boundaries'. It's like my computer doesn't like rendering water that "goes off into the sunset".
It's why with my Desert Park V2 the 'sea' has a subtle edge all the way round.

I'm just wondering if that's related to your problem.

(I also save before I add any water *just in case* my theory isn't entirely correct. But yeah, water's given me grief. I think I sussed out the problem)

JammyBand

Roller Poster
Well, that is definately related to my problem, but I don't know if I saved the files before the water attack of doom! I will see if I can get them going now.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
Hey guys, it's story time! I'll you exactly what happened. First, I loaded up one of the earlier save files, and it came on successfully. I quickly removed all of the water and started raising the groud around the edge of the map so the water didnt spill over the perimeter of the park. Then I put the water back in and a little spilled out in the corner. No problem, or so I thought. Once again, the pixels all broke, showing a mix of the game and rows of bright and flashing colours. My laptop pretty much froze and I couldnt press the windows button or CTRL+ALT+DEL. I had to force shut down the laptop. Now, whenever I turn it on, the pixels are still broken and it does the 'recovering from unexpected shutdown... 55%' etc. Then it says to either choose startup repair or to start windows normally. If I choose startup repair, it does stuff for a while, before saying that it couldn't fix it and to restart my computer. If I choose start windows normally, it goes to the loading windows page, but it never gets past it. It just sort of stops and automatically shuts down, and then the process repeats, with the choice between startup repair lalalala whatever. All ths time, on both options, the pixels are broken. Basically, my laptop will not come on at all. Ive been trying at it all day but it wont come on. Im writing this on a mobile device. RCT3 broke my whole computer lol. My laptop had been very dodgy recently, often freezing randomly and not coming on properly. However, with that issue, it had always come on within a few goes. I have been planning to get a new computer for a while as this laptop has been stupid for a while now.
Well, I dont know what to do anmore. If this laptop wont come on, then Im definately out of the competition. I had a really good park as well!!! My park was awesome. If this wont come on in the next week or something, Ill explain to you what my park was and stuff.

BBH

Giga Poster
I got the disc out of my laptop! Yay!

My desktop runs like a slug with RCT3 installed on it! S**te...

scw55

Hyper Poster
JammyBand said:
Hey guys, it's story time! I'll you exactly what happened. First, I loaded up one of the earlier save files, and it came on successfully. I quickly removed all of the water and started raising the groud around the edge of the map so the water didnt spill over the perimeter of the park. Then I put the water back in and a little spilled out in the corner. No problem, or so I thought. Once again, the pixels all broke, showing a mix of the game and rows of bright and flashing colours. My laptop pretty much froze and I couldnt press the windows button or CTRL+ALT+DEL. I had to force shut down the laptop. Now, whenever I turn it on, the pixels are still broken and it does the 'recovering from unexpected shutdown... 55%' etc. Then it says to either choose startup repair or to start windows normally. If I choose startup repair, it does stuff for a while, before saying that it couldn't fix it and to restart my computer. If I choose start windows normally, it goes to the loading windows page, but it never gets past it. It just sort of stops and automatically shuts down, and then the process repeats, with the choice between startup repair lalalala whatever. All ths time, on both options, the pixels are broken. Basically, my laptop will not come on at all. Ive been trying at it all day but it wont come on. Im writing this on a mobile device. RCT3 broke my whole computer lol. My laptop had been very dodgy recently, often freezing randomly and not coming on properly. However, with that issue, it had always come on within a few goes. I have been planning to get a new computer for a while as this laptop has been stupid for a while now.
Well, I dont know what to do anmore. If this laptop wont come on, then Im definately out of the competition. I had a really good park as well!!! My park was awesome. If this wont come on in the next week or something, Ill explain to you what my park was and stuff.

Sounds like it could be graphics-card related. Graphics cards can destroy themselves sometimes.
However, with a laptop, it's not exactly easy to maintain. Especially since merely 'opening one up' instantly invalidates any insurance.
-
My RCT3 occasionally crashes. No real harm has happened yet. It just means progress is slow, and I need to force myself to save more often.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've got an old project that suits this perfectly which I may pull out for this competition. Just need to finish that awkward coaster I never got around to doing... Hmmmm....

metalhead7

Mega Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
I was waiting for an RCT3 comp, just to have an excuse to play. Of course I am out of town this weekend..

You still got 2 more weeks so you still have plenty of time.

I'm very excited about all the response this got! Just a reminder submit your pictures, video, or text to me via private message, not on this thread. If you do I won't disqualify you, but I do want to try to keep the voting round anonymous.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I'm glad I still have time left.
I haven't done as much as I would have liked to. And I need to decided how much I should be doing.

If I do a lot, I will have a lot of content to show.
However if I don't do much, I can spend the rest of the time refining what I have done.

I will be able to deliver a good-quality entry one way or another. (Videos might be a challenge to do regardless of what approach I'll be taking)

<This is where I say what I need to do, but might risk giving a hint about whose entry is likely to be mine. But to be honest, the entry which has inventive use of default wall-scenery is probably going to be mine>

I'm enjoying this contest so far (despite the crashes). It's giving me a fresh challenge (not because of the restricted attraction use. But because of the 'tone' I've gone with for my park) and I am able to use what I have already learnt with similar park-projects in the past.
-
*update* every crash I enjoy the contest less :p Lets hope I can finish before I uninstall RCT3.
-
*update 2* I crash every hour. It's enough to do things. But, I need to keep remembering to save. The anonymity of this contest is slightly annoying. I want to give teasers or say more about what I am doing :p

JammyBand

Roller Poster
Well, my laptop is now broken, so I cannot work on it any more. Can I describe what I made, or is that not allowed as it may give other people ideas?

BBH

Giga Poster
I'll be getting a new laptop around Christmastime so I will post the park in my Dev thread when I'm done with it then. Good luck to the entrants!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
JammyBand said:
Well, my laptop is now broken, so I cannot work on it any more. Can I describe what I made, or is that not allowed as it may give other people ideas?

Have a word with Metalhead7. It's all being done using PMs, so that nobody knows whose is whose work. So you can't really influence anyone as nobody will see the details until the entries are in.

I do suspect a description wouldn't really cut it though :lol:

Hopefully will get to work on mine today. I managed a couple of hours last week though and it's bloody hard trying to get to competition level work when you've not even loaded RCT3 up for 18 months :(

scw55

Hyper Poster
I've realised I have 4 days to finish it, with a game that crashes after every hour.

I'm going to have to think of a way to 'tie it off'.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to need more than five images, is that an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4