What's new

RCT 3 Competition - Time Machine

metalhead7

Mega Poster
Just testing the waters here, I'd like to run some beginner friendly RCT3 comps, so heres my idea.

RCT3 Comp #1 - Time Machine

For this comp we are going back in time almost 100 years now to the 1920's the first golden age of roller coasters. You are the owner of a small resort and looking to increase tourism wish to build a small amusement park on your grounds.

Requirements
- Must build at least 1 roller coaster from list below
- Must build at least 2 flat rides or transportation rides
- Must include at least one food and drink stall as well as restrooms

Rules
- You may only use rides available before 1930
- There are no height or park size restrictions, that being said this should be a fairly small park
- Peeps must be able to ride all rides in park
- Custom scenery is allowed but not required

Submission
- Submit anywhere from 2-5 pictures or videos of your park
- One picture must be an overhead view of the entire park
- Submissions must be sent to me via private message I want to try to keep the creator's identity annonymous
- If you would like you can include a message to be posted with your park in the voting round (ride backstories, park reviews, ect.) Nothing that includes your username or is derogatory to others
- All pitches will be posted anonymously in a second thread for a vote
- Subissions due by September 25th

Scoring (out of 105 possible points)

50-pts. Riders Choice
15-pts. Scenery/Terrain
15-pts. Realism
15-pts. Originality
5-pts. - Automatically given to whoever votes in the rider's choice
5-pts. - Bonus: Build a park using one of the roller coasters from the list below that is in italics

Acceptable Roller Coasters
Wooden Roller Coaster
Side Friction Roller Coaster
Reverser Roller Coaster
Flying Turns
Virginia Reel
Wooden Wild Mouse
Wooden Wild Mine

All rides are allowed, but if you use something ridiculous like the robot arm you will lose realism points.

Once again submissions are due by September 25th

Any questions, concerns, advice or input is much appreciated.

scw55

Hyper Poster
I was very interested in this contest initially. I like the restrictions of pre-1930s.

But I can't find the idea of pitching exciting at all. It won't be an aspect of the contest that I can get into at all.
I think it's because it takes an activity that I get enjoyment and satisfaction out of doing (Park building/designing), and turns it into a job. A job that is unwaged. My personal situation causes the pitching aspect to not be motivating.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
^^ Thanks for the input. I can definitely do away with the pitch idea if you and others don't like it. I wasn't really sure how to best handle submissions. Would just sending in screen shots with the option of adding a little blurb about your park be a better way to go about it?

scw55

Hyper Poster
I think it might be a better idea to wait for more feedback from potential participants.
You shouldn't have to tweak a contest's criteria around my own personal preferences.

I think it's a very interesting concept for a competition.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
I kinda like the idea. I like to make speeches and pitches and such, so it would be very interesting! Ive always wanted to make a theme park speech of some sort at school, so I welcome this new take on a regular competition. :)

BBH

Giga Poster
I don't like the pitch idea, I think it's kind of restrictive, but I do have some tips for those who wish to incorporate video.

1. Try to use an old-style sepia color overlay and maybe some film spots on the video.

2. All of the background music you'll ever need for this kind of project is right here: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-fr ... rch=Search

metalhead7

Mega Poster
The masses have spoken!!

I have edited the rules so that a pitch is not required, but if you would like to add text to sell your park to the voters you are more than welcome to.

Also just a note, back in the 1920s rider safety was't as important as it was today, so if you chose to build a regular wooden coaster don't worry about keeping it tame.

scw55

Hyper Poster
metalhead7 said:
Also just a note, back in the 1920s rider safety was't as important as it was today, so if you chose to build a regular wooden coaster don't worry about keeping it tame.

I'm curious how this affects the "realism" aspect to the scoring.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
scw55 said:
metalhead7 said:

I'm curious how this affects the "realism" aspect to the scoring.

Rides don't have to be dangerous, but if your ride has tight turns and quick drops you won't lose points.

metalhead7

Mega Poster
JammyBand said:
Are Ghost Trains allowed?

Yes but they don't count as roller coasters since they are not powered by gravity. Most of the time a quick google search will give you an idea of wether the ride was around in that time period.

BBH

Giga Poster
I'm going to try this if I'm able to load RCT3 on my desktop computer. It should be interesting.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
I've got a fantastic idea, and my park is already approx 50% done! I'm very happy with it so far, and I will happily present it to you guys once it's finished. This is a great idea for a competition, may I just say, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the challenge it presents. :)

scw55

Hyper Poster
I will try to take part.
I am enthusiastic about this contest.

Just my (new) college course has started today. Since I've sent the last 2 years seeking for paid jobs with no success, going back into full-time education is a huge culture shock. It makes me really tired.
I find RCT3 eats a lot of my mental energy (despite the enjoyment it gives).

So, if I have the time and energy I will set to work.

Can I ask why some of the coasters in the Coaster list is italics?

BBH

Giga Poster
2 questions -

1. If we wanted to do just one video encompassing the entire park, would that be acceptable?

2. Will the bonus points for the italicized coasters be multiplied? Ie. Flying turns + Side Friction = 10 extra points, etc.?

metalhead7

Mega Poster
1. Sure as long as you've got the overhead shot in there.

2. No sorry, you can make as many as you want but you will only get 5 pts.

BBH

Giga Poster
Unfortunately that may not even happen as my laptop has died and the RCT3 disc is stuck inside the disc drive.

Bollocks.

JammyBand

Roller Poster
scw55 said:
Why are some in italics?

Its because if you use one of those ride types, you automatically get 5 extra points.

metalhead7 said:
Scoring (out of 105 possible points)

50-pts. Riders Choice
15-pts. Scenery/Terrain
15-pts. Realism
15-pts. Originality
5-pts. - Automatically given to whoever votes in the rider's choice
5-pts. - Bonus: Build a park using one of the roller coasters from the list below that is in italics