What's new

Proper Football (y'know, with your foot and a ball) Thread

nealbie

CF Legend
OMG, I haven't really been as into my football the past 3 years but this season (especially in the Premier League) looks set to be a cracker!

Ferguson's **** OFF, meaning Man Utd should become a respectable team once again, Jose's back <3 and Arsenal look about ready to give it a go again finally after paying off the Emirates.

Just one more year before the World Cup (which isn't like the World Series and people from places that aren't America can play) and can anyone stop the bloody Germans?! :p

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Re: Proper Football (y'know, with your foot and a ball) Thre

Depends on who is signed in the transfer window but my onions as it stands right now:
Man U - with SAF still in the background i can't see them doing much worse than this year but it will be closer without a doubt, I don't think they'll win it this season. The Rooney situation will need to be sorted, lets see who replaces him.
Citeh - Got some awesome players but they were pretty poor this year considering last year they demolished teams. Pellegrini to come in so he may get them playing better again, will give Utd a good run i reckon.
Chelsea - I think they will challenge again, big time, Jose will want a couple of players in and they will be a big force, their front 4 is probably the best in the league.
Arsenal - Don't think they'll be so lucky this year, they were in title willing form (ppg) for the last 10 games of the season, but got a lot of dodgy decisions their way. If they don't strengthen they will have trouble getting in europe. Don't have a chance of winning it.
Spurs - If they keep Bale they will challenge for europe again, sell Bale and will struggle to get Europa League.

Villa - Probably will lose Benteke and will be relegation strugglers.
Hull - Relegation strugglers.
Palace - If they keep Zaha for a season more from Utd then they may have a chance but will be near the bottom of the table.

Could all change by 31st August though, am expecting it to be a lot tighter at the top, with no runaway leader with 10 games to go.

marc

CF Legend

For Spurs it all depends if we can keep Bale, plus who else we can sign. We need 2 new forwards badly.

I can see Chelsea winning the championship as I don't think Man U will hit the ground running.

kimahri

CF Legend

I find football to be utterly mind numbingly boring as ****.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

marc said:
For Spurs it all depends if we can keep Bale, plus who else we can sign. We need 2 new forwards badly.
I'm a spurs fan too.

Forward line needs drastic action, not convinced Ade or Defoe have what it takes to consistently perform in a top 4 team. I would however take 1 striker and a WF to challenge Lennon and be able to play a fluid 4-3-3.
I also think we need a intelligent passer of the ball in the middle of the park to go with Dembele and Sandro. We haven't created enough chances this season.

Keeping Bale is paramount though, but I think Levy will take the cash if anything over 60m is offered. And i'd only expect half of any cash for Bale to go on players(the other half towards the NDP), not even mentioning wage demands of any replacements.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

You left out on cruical fact that will make this coming season...

MARK HUGHES!

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Well, Stoke may actually play some better football this season under Hughes. Maybe he wants a couple of Spurs players we are looking to shift :p

But they are just as likely to get caught in the relegation scrap.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Lol no they won't, Hughes will still have them playing their thuggish brand of anti-football and the sooner both he and they sink without a trace the better.

Snoo

The Legend

kimahri said:

This. I prefer something actual entertaining and not full of pansies who flop when they get smiled at.

Btw Neal, I didn't know this was 'take pot shots at America day' for you. At least you started a thread by you in your typical way, being a huge cockbag.

Pierre

Strata Poster

Never understand posting in a topic you have no interest in... really, I don't?

I've been away camping for a week with piss-poor phone signal so had totally missed out that Stoke City had appointed Mark Hughes... can't see him doing much better than Pulis? His managerial record isn't the best, even when he had the millions at City - bizarre option.

Having said that, I went to Stoke V Villa last season (one of the random perks of the job) and got to witness Matty Lowton's incredible goal but... the atmosphere at the Britannia truly is amazing. Maybe it was because I'm used to 14,000 fans in a 35,000 capacity stadium but I was loving it. I also love that they blast out an instrumental version of Lose Yourself for a good couple of minutes before the players come out... like my colleague said at the time walking out to it "it feels like I'm ready for a fight!" - really gets you going that piece of music :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pBDbZuElLU[/youtube]

As for my team, if it would have been any other manager but Mowbray last season he would have been sacked. We picked up 12 points out of a possible 60 in the second half of the season, **** disgraceful. The man's a local hero but he needs results this season or that will soon change. Not convinced he will until I see his progress in the transfer window over Summer.

We just announced our new kits which I really like - Ramsdens finally dropped the green :D

971226_577742055580398_430358845_n.jpg

kimahri

CF Legend

Pierre said:

Rules of a forum.

Majority of people all saying Yay to the thread topic leading it to be a boring string of agreement. The grumps who have an equal understanding of the thread topic and dislike it, leads to arguments. Then there's the people who find the topic foreign and then everyone goes crazy.

Snoo

The Legend

Subtle jabs at the minority from a douchebag tool is fine but posting I don't like soccer isn't? Hey, the day I won't post in a soccer thread will be the same day I don't search the forum for American related items and see a half dozen people who don't care posting twatty remarks for no reason other then to be a huge ****.

On a positive note, I do follow Team USA soccer loosely along with Everton.. just because I signed with them in Fifa 12 and followed them ever since.

Pierre

Strata Poster

I'm not saying it doesn't happen both ways. I don't understand it when brits do the same to similar threads such as American football either.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Snoo said:
loosely along with Everton.. just because I signed with them in Fifa 12 and followed them ever since.
Any thoughts on how you think Everton will do with Moyes gone and (possibly) Martinez in at the helm?
My initial reaction is that they won't be as solid defensively but will continue to be interesting to watch up the other end of the pitch.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Snoo said:
kimahri said:

This. I prefer something actual entertaining and not full of pansies who flop when they get smiled at.

Or where they feel the need to be armoured to the eye balls because they can't take a bit a knock ;) :p

Rugby all the way then Snoo?

Snoo said:
Btw Neal, I didn't know this was 'take pot shots at America day' for you. At least you started a thread by you in your typical way, being a huge cockbag.

You're being a bit touchy I think there Snoo. It's a pretty common kind of "joke" and the kind of thing I'd be likely to say too. It's just a crap joke, not a massive racial slur.

[deliberately ironic post]
I've only come in here to belittle any form of football as being inferior to rugby, which in itself is now inferior to rugby since they changed things so you have to use skill rather than just beating each other to death like cage fighting with a ball - though I think Australian Rules is still pretty hardcore. ;)

I understand the skill required for the game, but for me it's like a mix of circus and hunting (all forms of team ball games). You have juggling and acrobatic skills, dexterity and fitness then the thrill of the chase and the "kill". I understand why people like it, but not to the degree they like it :lol:[/deliberately ironic post]

kimahri said:
Pierre said:

Rules of a forum.

Majority of people all saying Yay to the thread topic leading it to be a boring string of agreement. The grumps who have an equal understanding of the thread topic and dislike it, leads to arguments. Then there's the people who find the topic foreign and then everyone goes crazy.

However, football is a very divisive topic with each fan rooting not just for their own team, but also they have their favourite players, managers, there's interest in the different leagues and how different teams in their own favourite league compare with their own favourite team. So there are an absolute mass of different opinions, feelings and passions within the topic. Nobody needs a counterpoint to "football", when there is so much discussion available within the subject as it is.

So yeah, I agree with Pierre ;)

So carry on people and discuss the game, teams, managers, etc, etc ,etc :D

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

What happens if you're going to see a MLS game as well as more than likely buying a season ticket for Palace?

Pushing international bonds for the win ;)

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster

Things will really change this season at the Brit under hughes I reckon.

Currently hoping we get a straight swap, Crouch for Hoilett. He's been good for us but getting on a bit now, also gets rid of the laziest footballer in the PL: Kenywne bloody Jones. We need a fast striker who works for the ball like Jerome does and two actual wingers who can get past players unlike ethrington. I just want to see football actually being played at Stoke again, hopefully Hughes can bring that and we have a good Fa cup run.

nealbie

CF Legend

I worry for Stoke. Have somewhat of a soft spot for them and I feel that changing their playing style will either do wonders or get them relegated. Because 0-0 Stoke is what's kept them up so long!