Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Pro-choice?

Votes: 19 82.6%

• Total voters

Intricks

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
Intricks said:
Pro-life people tend to annoy me, as when they are met with the question of "Would you be willing to adopt the kid?", they back down faster than a fatass rolling after a box of burgers. If they arent willing to adopt the kid and try to raise it as their own, then they need to shut up and go back to their corner with the dunce cap on as their arguments are invalid. Now, not to say ALL pro-life people house that stance, but those that I've run into, do.

I'm not saying that I will, or will not... But in the great state of California it takes quite a lengthy screening process for someone to legally be allowed to adopt a child, and it's rather expensive.

Now, let me flip the question on you. Would you adopt a child, instead of let it be aborted?

Right now? On the border. If you would have asked me a few years back, the answer would have been a strong no; however, circumstances have changed. Becoming an uncle (with a 2nd nephew due in April) and being with someone who enjoys being fatherly to his nephews has changed my opinion and view on being a father.

Bradyn (nephew) has brought out my highly dormant fatherly instincts, and I'm certain Austyn (the one on the way) will just reinforce those and make them stronger.

Does this mean I've changed my stance on abortion? No, I'm going to be pro-choice for life (as my sister and I technically shouldnt have been born, and my moms body found my fetus as nothing short of a disease (moms O-, sister and I are O+. Lyz is older so moms body built up the 'antibodies' against O+ bloodtype)), but I would be more willing to adopt the kid if I were financially stable enough to raise one now.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Xpress

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
A triple post Xpress... bloody hell! :p

Oh that's nothing compared to what I've done before :p

Intricks said:
I would be more willing to adopt the kid if I were financially stable enough to raise one now.

Probably one of the biggest reasons people don't want to/can't adopt a new-born. The economy over here is crap, my family is just skimming the surface of financial stability now, and that's after I got a job.

Intricks

Strata Poster
^ Thats half the reason. Most of the pro-lifers just dont want to take on the responsibility of taking care of someone else. They fight for the cause, but dont become a part of the cause.

Honestly, this is comparable to adopting a pet (analogy wise). People will fight for the stopping of euthanising of animals in shelters, but they wont physically go out and adopt one because it is too mich of a hassle for them to do so. I want to adopt a pet, but cant due to moving soon-ish and I wouldnt put any dog through that stress of having to get used to a new environment.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Xpress

Strata Poster
So I guess UC has returned for the time being...

Intricks said:
Honestly, this is comparable to adopting a pet (analogy wise). People will fight for the stopping of euthanising of animals in shelters, but they wont physically go out and adopt one because it is too mich of a hassle for them to do so. I want to adopt a pet, but cant due to moving soon-ish and I wouldnt put any dog through that stress of having to get used to a new environment.

Except dogs are considered animals... Not humans, if you want to bring up the technicalities..

Regardless, I have no issues going down to an animal shelter and adopting another dog. I have 2 of them, my mom has one (recent addition). The problem comes in is that we already have 5 pets (3 dogs, 2 ferrets) and they all eat like crazy. Upkeep is pretty high already.

FWIW a dog can acclimate oneself to environment changes very well (similar to humans). My dogs were comfortable in our new home in just a couple of days, but then again their history was with loving owners. An abused pet is a different story- he/she may not even adapt to the new environment at all.

However, then you get cases like Taylor, where her beliefs are set to the point where it's irrelevant who or what the situation involves - she feels abortion is wrong. That's completely fine - but you can't expect her to, say, agree with someone who feels that abortion can be based on circumstance. Each side can make as brilliant an argument as they want, but at the end of it all, you're going to walk away with different viewpoints.

My beliefs aren't really set because I'm an open minded person. Like I said, if your life is really in jeopardy because of some underlying medical condition or pregnancy complications, I can fully see reason in getting an abortion, but as far as "not being ready" or "not wanting it" or "it was an accident," then I completely disagree. I said I don't judge people for having them, but I don't think it's right especially if they're having one annually or bi-annually like some people I know do. If you're getting knocked up that much and being THAT irresponsible, I have zero respect for you and think you need to invest in condoms or birth control pills.

What I mean is it would be easy for me to say now one way or the other - but how would I feel if I were in the situation? That's the trump card here - Taylor, can you honestly tell me, for an absolute fact, that you would feel the same way if you were put in the situation of having to truly decide whether or not to have an abortion? Could those so staunchly pro-choice feel the same if, say, their significant other terminated the pregnancy because she didn't want it, yet you were excited for it?

If I were in a situation, I would not be getting an abortion. Assuming I were able to get pregnant as easily as most of the general population, I'm old enough to know it was my conscious decision to have sex with someone, and therefore the "consequence" was a child that is now my responsibility. If I had gotten pregnant by means of rape (God forbid) or anything like that, it's probably an awful situation, and though it wouldn't be my responsibility, I know the mental consequences of me having an abortion would be too much to handle because my conscious is too good.

Considering significant others is a hard thing. It's a topic that has come up in both relationships I've been in, with both boyfriends saying they'd either force me to have an abortion or push me down the stairs. I don't think it's fair to say "I'd dump you if you didn't get an abortion," but if it came down to that I think I'd probably leave the relationship especially if they were that unwilling to compromise. In a case like that I'd consider adoption, but the best case scenario is raising it yourself. Just because you have school and other responsibilities, I think a child should come first. Not saying people should quit school, but make concessions and either drop down to part time or get a babysitter.

^ No, because that makes you pretty much infertile for good, whereas condoms and birth control pills are for use until you're ready to have kids. So, your post was retarded.

Snoo

The Legend
UC said:
Considering significant others is a hard thing.

Herein lies the meat of my post.

I truly feel this is one of those things that isn't always as controversial as it seems, but is merely the product of a bunch of people who aren't in a situation commenting on things they don't understand.

Anyone I've ever spoken to that has been in a position to make a personal choice about abortion (or consider their beliefs about it, as in the case of loved ones), seem to come up with legitimate reasons on their own.

I suppose what I'm saying is that there is no "set" answer to something like this, it can go either way. As I said, I personally hope I never have to form an opinion on it.

Post of the thread ladies and gents.

I see a lot of people getting in a big fuss about what they 'would' do.. but when it comes down to it.. 95% of the time what you would and will do are completely different.

I didn't want a child for the longest time and when my time came.. I was split on the matter. Myself and my significant other got to talking for a long while and we ended up obviously keeping her. Had I been 18.. things might have been different. But, I wasn't. Seeing her smiling face is something I consider a blessing each and every day and knowing her like I do now I would have regretted making the other decision.

^ Yah, and the fact that kids are a blessing is all the more reason why people shouldn't be having an abortion. Everyone I know who contemplated abortion and ended up keeping it considered the child the best thing that has ever happened to them, whether they financially stable, poor, "ready," or not.

Also, I know I say "all the people I know who contemplated abortion," and people probably think I don't know very many, but the pregnancy rate for people between 18-20 here is absolutely staggering and I think about 5 or 6 of my cousin's friends all went through it, so I know quite a bit of people who have gone through that "I don't want it" phase and then realized it was the best thing ever.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Conversely, I know of people who also think that the abortion was the absolute best choice ever and would have lived in regret having a child at the time ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The point is, if they had gone through with the abortion, they may have thought it the greatest decision ever. Likewise if the people I knew hadn't, they may have had great joy with their kids and never regretted going through with the pregnancy. We'll never know either way and it's completely irrelevant to anything.

^ I guess.. But I'm saying in the case of abortion you've experienced life with and without a kid, and most people think that life with a kid, though more hectic, is "God's gift." Not saying some people don't think that having an abortion was a good choice by any means, I'm just saying that personally I wouldn't give up the amazing feeling that seems to come with having a child.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I likewise know some people who think having a child was a big mistake and actively dislike their kids and wish they'd not had them. I also know people who have had abortions and then gone on to have kids later - they love their kids but still believe that the abortion was the right thing.

What people feel about things isn't really relevant at all to the discussion. You can always find examples of people to back up one point or another.

Snoo

The Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Yah, and the fact that kids are a blessing is all the more reason why people shouldn't be having an abortion. Everyone I know who contemplated abortion and ended up keeping it considered the child the best thing that has ever happened to them, whether they financially stable, poor, "ready," or not.

Also, I know I say "all the people I know who contemplated abortion," and people probably think I don't know very many, but the pregnancy rate for people between 18-20 here is absolutely staggering and I think about 5 or 6 of my cousin's friends all went through it, so I know quite a bit of people who have gone through that "I don't want it" phase and then realized it was the best thing ever.

What Phil said. Again, from my perspective, yes it wouldn't have been the right choice but had my circumstances had been different.. things would have happened the opposite way. It really is a mutual thing to decide upon and having had scares which the obvious decision would have been no.. I can kinda see more along both lines.

But again.. unless you've done both.. you really can't say on both perspectives.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Hence why the pro-choice stand seems like the right one? Meaning, it's a choice to be made by those who find themselves in the situation.

Where the pro-life argument falls down most is in politics. Pro-choicers are basically saying leave it up to the individual, let them decide, whereas a pro-life law would take that choice away, which in my opinion can only lead to bad things.