What's new

Predictions for your future number 1 coaster?

Hobbes

Mega Poster
CoasterGoddess said:
Steel: The only coasters that really scream this could be my #1 steel coaster is between Steel Dragon 2000 in Japan or Formula Rossa in Abu Dhabi.
Why Steel Dragon? I haven't ridden it myself, but it doesn't look particularly amazing. I've only ridden one Morgan hyper (Steel Force), and that wasn't incredible either. It was a solid ride, and enjoyable, but it wasn't anything that really made excited. SD2000 just looks like that on a larger scale, with a much bigger turnaround section. Why does it look so appealing to you?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ It's a lot better than the smaller Morgan coasters. I was really looking forward to Steel Force and Mamba as I figured that the ride experience would be similar to Steel Dragon; it's not.

I found the bunny hills on Steel Dragon to have tons of airtime, whereas I got nothing with the smaller versions.

The only letdown with Steel Dragon is that the layout is really unimaginative and the fact that it basically sits in the car park.

CoasterGoddess

Roller Poster
gavin said:
^ It's a lot better than the smaller Morgan coasters. I was really looking forward to Steel Force and Mamba as I figured that the ride experience would be similar to Steel Dragon; it's not.

I found the bunny hills on Steel Dragon to have tons of airtime, whereas I got nothing with the smaller versions.

The only letdown with Steel Dragon is that the layout is really unimaginative and the fact that it basically sits in the car park.

I could see on the POV that Steel Dragon would have air time on the bunny hills. It would be a nice long ride, the world's longest steel coaster, plus taller and faster (and in my opinion better) than Millennium Force.
I have never had a park have a rude attitude and then their management have that same rude attitude. Cedar Point really made it impossible for me to ever want to spend my money supporting their park ever again. It's the only park I won't go, and thankfully there are better parks. Six Flags Magic Mountain has the most coasters than any other USA Park. I also found most Cedar Point's coasters seemed old and stale, especially Mean Streak that felt like it nearly stopped part way down the hill. The only two coasters I really enjoyed were Magnum 200 and TT Dragster. Other parks now have mega coasters and Kingda Ka I rode is taller and faster, so the only coaster I would care to ride is Gatekeeper, but I'm planning a trip to Dollywood and I prefer riding through the woods so even though Gatekeeper looks a bit better, I may enjoy the scenery of Wild Eagle enough to like it best. I understand people who live near Cedar Point liking it best as their home park like cheering for your home NFL team, but Cedar Point looked old, junky, and many of their coasters didn't thrill me and when their #1 ride MF broke down just after opening I felt like I wasted my $$$$ going all the way there and they gave me no incentive to ever come back. So I won't.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Current favorite: Millennium Force
Possibles
-Cheetah Hunt (I like fast, floaty rides like Millennium and this seems like a smaller launched Millennium with theming, psyched to ride it in November)
-X2 (It looks nuts, hope I get to ride it someday, and if I get my mechanical engineering degree and end up working for S&S Arrow it would be very appropriate...)
-Iron Rattler (That drop just looks wrong...)
-Leviathan (that airtime looks BONKERS)

Hobbes

Mega Poster
2012Jarrett said:
-Cheetah Hunt (I like fast, floaty rides like Millennium and this seems like a smaller launched Millennium with theming, psyched to ride it in November)
I hate to spoil your excitement, but I didn't think Cheetah Hunt was all that great. There were only two real moments of airtime: one coming off that figure 8 thing, and great airtime off the hill after the final launch. Other than that, the coaster was kinda lame. The launches weren't particularly strong, and it just felt like the ride wasn't doing much. The heartline roll was pretty crap too. That canyon area was enjoyable too, but other than that and the couple bits of airtime, I didn't find it particularly good.

PepperCTID

Roller Poster
I have yet to make it to Hershey Park since SkyRush was added, so when I finally get back, I think it will top my list.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
When I manage to get back to the USA I will make it a mission to get on both boulder dash and el toro, they have a chance, possibly GeForce. Don't see much else topping Skyrush.

BBH

Giga Poster
Outlaw Run's gonna stay put for a while. ;)

I'm conjuring a big eastward sweep plan in a few years so here's what I may encounter:

- Diamondback, Kings Island - I love floater airtime and this seems to have a lot of it.
- Maverick, Cedar Point - Hey, ejector's cool, too.
- Skyrush, Hersheypark- Holy crap. See above x10.
- Phoenix, Knoebels - Classic woodies are some of the best, especially the ones with amazing airtime.
- El Toro, SFGAdv - Airtime, wood coaster, etc. Oh yeah, it's also an Intamin.
- Nitro, SFGAdv - See Diamondback.
- Bizarro, SFNE - See Skyrush, but I don't expect it to be as good.
- Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce - The expectations are high.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I honestly have no idea. They're many coasters like El Toro, Skyrush and Outlaw Run that may beat Black Mamba, but because BM is a different style of ride to those, it makes it harder to predict. Honestly, I don't think any coaster like Black Mamba that is currently open will be better than it for me, so I predict my future favourite will be more like the rest of my top 5 coasters.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Darren B said:
If I had to predict right now from the current breed of coasters I've seen there are only potentially 3 coasters that I feel may challenge the number 1 crown, these being Mountain Flyer, Bizarro SFNE and Millennium Force.

Now I've ridden a lot more coasters, including Bizarro & MF - EGF is still solidly number 1. Bizarro was good but didn't offer the amount of airtime EGF does, MF was good but nowhere near number 1 quality. I'm going back for EGF in September so it'll be interesting to see if it's still as good as I remember it. It may be a case of returning from Germany with Leviathan as my number 1.

Mountain Flyer still remains a possibly of being a future number 1 and now I've experienced a lot more coasters since I started this topic I'm a lot clearer on what type of ride does it for me, with the below now included;

Shambhala - I think Nitro and Leviathan are both fantastic, almost number 1 material so I wouldn't be surprised if Shambhala takes the crown, especially as it's apparently the best of the B&M Hypers.

Outlaw Run - Goliath at SFGAm is my number 1 woodie and POV's of Outlaw Run make it look even stronger than Goliath.

The Voyage - Looks AMAZING. Everything I look for in a coaster seems to be included with the Voyage.

Wildfire - The 2016 RMC looks like a dead cert to take the crown (not that I'm setting myself up for disappointment ;) ). A cross between Goliath, Outlaw Run and Boulder Dash just seems to good to be true.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
Hmmm, Florida is probably going to create a new number one at least, I love Air so one would assume one will love Manta, but the hype ATTACKHAMMER has given rides like Montu, Kraken and Kumba they might be number one-potential coasters...assuming I'm not disappointed.

I also love the look of Cheetah Hunt.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Jordanovichy said:
Hmmm, Florida is probably going to create a new number one at least, I love Air so one would assume one will love Manta, but the hype ATTACKHAMMER has given rides like Montu, Kraken and Kumba they might be number one-potential coasters...assuming I'm not disappointed.

I also love the look of Cheetah Hunt.
I personally found Kumba to be a bit of a letdown. I feel like it felt like your typical B&M without much special about it except for the unusual landscape and bridge through the cobra roll, but there was really nothing on it you can't get on another coaster.

Montu was amazing and it's one of the most aggressive B&Ms out there. I like Banshee better but Montu is a top 20 coaster for me.

Cheetah Hunt gets a lot of hate for being forceless but I personally found it to be really fun. The airtime in and out of the windcatcher is great, the illusion of speed throughout the whole ride is great, there's a nice little terrifying pop of hangtime on the barrel roll similar to Banshee's inline's (and as a bonus, it goes over a section of rapids), the canyon portion is great, that parabola out of launch three puts the ones on Maverick to shame, and the final transition into the brakes. It's just an all-around fun ride with a lot to offer and it felt like a longer YOLOcoaster with better capacity and theming. Only complaint I had is what everybody else says about it; it could have been more aggressive.

-x-

Building on my former post, Cheetah Hunt did go to my number one, X2 did not but still ended up pretty high on my list (it was too short and there was some bucking on the rack/pinion assembly during the transitions) and it made me want to ride another 4D coaster.

Let's see...

*The Voyage
*Skyrush
*Outlaw Run
*Iron Rattler
*Leviathan
*Boulder Dash

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I'm convinced number one will be held by *insert RMC here* for a long time. Be it Goliath, Outlaw Run, Steel Medusa, Wildfire (already planning a trip for 2016), or whatever they do to Colossus.

Other than that? Something with a lot of positive G's and a good layout. Expedition GeForce has always been a dream to ride, I look forward to Skyrush and Shambahala. It'll be interesting to see if my desired style changes with a new back though really.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Over this summer...let me see...
-Ispeed
-Katun
-Divertical might be a wild card.

If neither of these make my #1 and #2 spot respectively, I think I shall likely have a little internal cry to myself, at least with all the hype given to these two coasters. I'm expecting Katun to rival Nemesis' positives in a longer and more rapid layout, but Ispeed will probably take the crown since I've yet to experience 'proper' airtime as such.

As for long term plans...I can't see myself visiting America anytime soon, but I *might* be able to grab PortAdventura at some point.