Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sit with arms on lap?

• Mixture?

• Total voters

Blaze

Hyper Poster
When riding, do you put your hands above your heads, do you hold the restraints, or just sit there showing less emotion that The Stig?

I tend to mix between the three, depending on the ride, how I feel and just random selection in my subconciousness. Sometimes I will change during the ride, which nearly killed me on Rita QOS, I put my arms in the air sometime after the first hill. Somehow this caused me to be pulled forward, nearly cracking my skull on the seat in front. My hand were back on the restraints before the third hill.

Rob

Mega Poster
Hands up, with the only exception being Colossus, I keep them up until the second corkscrew where I always get scared I'm gonna whack the supports on the turn around. Then on the inlines I try to touch the catch nets, then one the last inline I cower for fear of touching the ground.

Colossus also has the only time I've ever hit a tree whilst on a coaster credit :p

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Depends on the coaster.

Rita spikes in G's to much to be able to keep arms up. (Stealth has that problem too), And if you dont put your arms up you get battered. I can't win with that one.

Nemesis...Mix.

Inferno...Mix.

Colossus....Up. No choice on this one.

Mavvy...Up.

RF2... Mix as some corners are rather violent.

Mean streak...Down on lap/bar.

Vekoma...Down on lap/bar.

And the list goes on....

Rob

Mega Poster
Rita spikes in G's to much to be able to keep arms up.

Your such a woman :p . I never have any trouble with rita, arms up all the way, except when I' trying to push against my harness tightening on me so I can actually get some nice ejector.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Depends. If it's my first time...then hands up...if I have been in it umpteen times in one day, then hands down. But on all Intamin Accelerators, I put my hands up :D

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Rob said:
Rita spikes in G's to much to be able to keep arms up.

Your such a woman :p . I never have any trouble with rita, arms up all the way, except when I' trying to push against my harness tightening on me so I can actually get some nice ejector.

I dunno why, but I can tell when a ride hits 5 G's (or somethin higher) as my back give's way and thats painful :D So I put my arms down to loose the pain. Then get battered :--D

Rob

Mega Poster
^^ Oohh yeah those turns are nasty. I guess it might just be a matter of how you sit, or rather what angle you put your arms 'up' at, as on accelerators I tend to put them more forwards, rather than straight up. Hmmm....

nealbie

CF Legend
Very rarely do I put my hands up in the air on a coaster (it happens but only if I'm in the mood, and this generally seems to happen as a sort of mock/taking the piss thing on **** rides :lol: )

Conversely I don't hold on to the restraints like a wimp

Most of the time I find that I'm sitting there enjoying the coaster and giving the Stig a run for his money in the external emotions (lack of) competition.

However, there are some coasters on which I have rituals that have to be fulfilled. Such as counting the inversions on Colossus as they are taken (my brother and I may have been heard doing this at GFV), shouting "BORING!" on No Way Out at the numerous stops during the ride, shouting faster on accelerators and booing when there isn't a roll back! :--D

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
SchumacherFerrari said:
However, there are some coasters on which I have rituals that have to be fulfilled. Such as counting the inversions on Colossus as they are taken (my brother and I may have been heard doing this at GFV), shouting "BORING!" on No Way Out at the numerous stops during the ride, shouting faster on accelerators and booing when there isn't a roll back! :--D

:lol: I commentate on Nemesis :p

Ollie

CF Legend
Depends on the ride. If I know it's going to try and crack my skull open (i.e Corkscrew coasters) then I hold on to try and reduce head banging. But on all other big rides I have my hands up. :)

But not on indoor dark coasters like XNWO as there's no telling how close the supports are and I don't want to risk loosing my arms. :p

nealbie

CF Legend
Ollie said:
But not on indoor dark coasters like XNWO as there's no telling how close the supports are and I don't want to risk loosing my arms. :p

They have to be a certain distance away (can't be bothered to look it up) due to EU H&S regulations etc. But still, I wouldn't put my hands up either :lol:

Error

Strata Poster
I have a theory on way people do it, and why should people do it.

People (general public) do it because they've seen it done in the media and think that's how you ride certain rides. When I was operating Calypso, people had put their hands up, even when they were being killed by the fat guy next to them. It made no sense, as it obviously hurt and people still did it.

On certain rides, however, it's needed. If anyone's seen me ride Raptor/Iron Dragon/Corkscrew/Anything with a shoulder-harness, I never put my hands up (exception Maverick). It's normally do to the fact that's there's no airtime what-so-ever. However, rides like Millennium Force, Magnum XL 200, Ravine Flyer 2, Gemini, and the like, have airtime in a small bit. Therefore, to experience more airtime and lift, you put your hands up, to give it a full effect.

There you go :p

Martyn H

Hyper Poster
I put my hands up... when I can be arsed to do it. But otherwise I sit back and let my arms relax on my lap. And ciallkennett whoever you are, you only commentate on Corkscrew, silly, I've never heard you do it on Nemesis.

nealbie

CF Legend
^Well obviously he can't do that anymore so he must have decided that he's gonna do it on Nemesis now :wink: