What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Finally had chance to watch all the videos of the area, and it looks excellent. Full of detail, atmosphere, and character.

There are a few minor things that could be improved, like the flat walls and the fake-looking windows.

But, on the whole, it's a theme park design masterpiece.

I am curious about the area's storyline. Does anyone know what the full story is?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I am curious about the area's storyline. Does anyone know what the full story is?
Lite spoilers of the interior ahead.
Other than the basic premise of you're in the Air Rail Company's Rookburgh central station to board a flight on "F.L.Y.", set up by the queueline preshow and the themed experience of going through check in and security - there's no further narrative you're forced into or have to understand to enjoy the ride itself.

Overall Rookburgh's existence as a themed world that belongs to the park's Berlin area has historical reasons. Phantasialand's Berlin is set in the 1920s when the Golden Age of Flight began. This period of great public interest and innovation in aviation was kickstarted by the famous transatlantic flight by Charles Lindbergh (hence the hotel name).

This being the land of fantasy though the aviation caze in Berlin's industrial district Rookburgh is steampunk inspired.

The Air Rail Company has invented this revolutionary new flying machine which aviators and explorers from around the world are coming to try; staying in the aeronaut flight cabins of Hotel CL.

Additional storytelling like interviews with residents and visitors to Rookburgh are in the Gazette newspapers (the 1st edition they released back in winter, 2nd and another Uhrwerk restaurant version are available to guests now). Phantasialand's Rookburgh website (German version only) also features audio recordings of these interviews too.

Also IMAscore confirmed their involvement (surprise!).

Last edited:

soco69

Roller Poster
Can someone tell me what to experience after leaving the station? What’s happening? I am not going to experience FLY until maybe late 2021 and I am curious to know.

A private message is fine, don’t post it here to spoil the experience for everyone.
Thanks!

soco69

Roller Poster
You leave the train on the unloading platform which isn't highly detailed but features a brick look. You pass through a small gate, walk through a hallway and arrive on the opposite side of the lockers where you have previously stored your loose items prior boarding.
There are two turn styles with a small desk in between. A staff member scans and collects your wristband for the locker and you exit using stairs. You arrive on the main level of the theme world, next to the sandwich shop "Zum Kohleschipper". The exit looks like a starting platform for a ballon with a halfway open roof. (The ballon is located above)

If you are interested in a small preview trailer of Rookburgh & F.L.Y.:
Rookburgh Cinematic Trailer
No I meant when the train is leaving the station :) sorry for the misunderstanding. As far as I am aware off there must be some kind of dark ride part?

If anyone's interested, here's my review of fly, and I don't think I use the word incredible once! (I do use the phrase "not incredibly fast" when referring to the launch, but I think that's the only usage!)

It's got plenty of off ride footage, a synced mapped run through of the layout, and descriptions of the dark ride section and station, so it of course contains spoilers.

Winjas007

Roller Poster
Be careful! Spoiler! Dont know how to mark this on mobile.

Hey, I was there today. So first the station. After you locked your luggage in the locker and went through the security check, you can queue up at 4 queues. On the leftmost queue it's probably to get a seat in the front row, in the right one to the back. In the middle of the four queues there is a big appartment with many displays and it is illuminated green. Behind it there are 4 containers in which water is bubbling. They are illuminated orange or blue, depending on the train in the station. From the four queues you can look through nice shaped grids into the station. The train stops there on a length of 30 meters. When the train enters the station, the lighting of the wall changes from blue to orange. After entering the station, the train quickly speed up. At first it goes through a U-turn to the right. It goes past a big machine. This is followed by an over 30 meter long straight track. On it there are several 3D holograms, which are created by fast turning sticks. These show fictitious advertisements from the stores in Rookburgh. After the straight track, you take a 90 degree turn to the right into the Lifthill. There it looks as if you are looking through a larger factory window to the outside. Behind the huge window there is a screen on which the outside world is shown. Several factory halls with robots, people and airships in the air. I was really surprised how big the whole thing is. I would not have thought that there is so much space in the lifthill. Also to create the illusion of deeps the sight turns in sync with the train movement. At the end you are brought into fly position and you are entering the first launch.

Gesendet von meinem FIG-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
If anyone's interested, here's my review of fly, and I don't think I use the word incredible once! (I do use the phrase "not incredibly fast" when referring to the launch, but I think that's the only usage!)

It's got plenty of off ride footage, a synced mapped run through of the layout, and descriptions of the dark ride section and station, so it of course contains spoilers.
Well done for the excellent video (and extended vocabulary ;)) - interesting to hear your thoughts re: comfort. My biggest bugbear with the B&M flyers is the awful ‘fly to lie’ sections - I think that’s what they are called but I like to refer to them as the “let’s fly in the one direction that you would never chose if you could actually fly”. It’s like pitching a tent on a hill (a literal tent!!), then lying on your back to sleep with your feet going up the hill. Whyyyy.

Looking forward to getting on this next year at some point.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Looks alright.
Dunno though, it's not what I was expecting. Not exactly sure what I was expecting to be honest, but this isn't quite it.
At the moment, I think it's all too bright and sunny. I kind of imagined an industrial, steampunk theme to be a bit darker (I don't mean thematically, I mean physically darker, ie less light), smokey, sooty, maybe even a bit grimy. But in a good way.
It all looks too new and shiny at the moment.
Think I'm gonna hang back for a while til we can get some proper night time action. Reckon Rookburgh gonna look amazeballs in the dark and, much like Taron, FLY is surely gonna be 10x better at night.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Looks alright.
Dunno though, it's not what I was expecting. Not exactly sure what I was expecting to be honest, but this isn't quite it.
At the moment, I think it's all too bright and sunny. I kind of imagined an industrial, steampunk theme to be a bit darker (I don't mean thematically, I mean physically darker, ie less light), smokey, sooty, maybe even a bit grimy. But in a good way.
It all looks too new and shiny at the moment.
Think I'm gonna hang back for a while til we can get some proper night time action. Reckon Rookburgh gonna look amazeballs in the dark and, much like Taron, FLY is surely gonna be 10x better at night.
Agreed. Some parts of it do look as grimy and sooty as I wanted, but as you said, a lot of it just doesn't feel right. Parts like where the Berlin mosaic is, with all the dirty brick surrounding it, look incredible in my opinion.

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Man it's been hard to ignore this thread for the past 5 days in order to not get spoiled. But today, I finally got to ride F.L.Y., and let me tell you, no picture comes close to doing justice to the real thing. You gotta see this with your own eyes. It's heckin amazing.

When did Rookburgh open that day, shortly after ten or much later? How busy was the park, that is, how long were the queues? Thanks!

Winjas007

Roller Poster
When did Rookburgh open that day, shortly after ten or much later? How busy was the park, that is, how long were the queues? Thanks!
Yesterday we entered the park direct after opening (Berlin entrance). We ran directly to the Rookburgh waiting area. But a kind park lady told us, that the area would open at 12 o clock. So we decide to do other stuff like Taron. We did most of the big other attractions and planed to go to fantasy. So we crossed Berlin and saw the big crowds which were standing here at 11 o clock. We completed the rides in fantasy. Decided to eat in Rutmors Taverne. Rookburgh opened at 12:30, the app informed us. We wanted to avoid the first big crowds. So we rode all rides in China and Mexico and then queued finally for Rookburgh at 13:40. The people are waiting in the hole Berlin area for Rookburgh. Seems long, but its not. 14 o clock and we are in Rookburgh! Flys queue line waiting time changes a lot. First time we had a waiting time of 30 minutes, then 40 (queue was shorter but they had technicle difficulties), 20 minutes.

Gesendet von meinem FIG-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Peter Immelmann

Mega Poster
Yesterday we entered the park direct after opening (Berlin entrance). We ran directly to the Rookburgh waiting area. But a kind park lady told us, that the area would open at 12 o clock. So we decide to do other stuff like Taron. We did most of the big other attractions and planed to go to fantasy. So we crossed Berlin and saw the big crowds which were standing here at 11 o clock. We completed the rides in fantasy. Decided to eat in Rutmors Taverne. Rookburgh opened at 12:30, the app informed us. We wanted to avoid the first big crowds. So we rode all rides in China and Mexico and then queued finally for Rookburgh at 13:40. The people are waiting in the hole Berlin area for Rookburgh. Seems long, but its not. 14 o clock and we are in Rookburgh! Flys queue line waiting time changes a lot. First time we had a waiting time of 30 minutes, then 40 (queue was shorter but they had technicle difficulties), 20 minutes.

Thanks a lot!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I think the fly to lie sections are there mostly to counter the g force, as it's more comfortable to experience g on your back. I'm pretty sure that's why the turn on air/Galactica is like that.
Really interesting - never thought of it like that!