What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

HarmL98

Roller Poster
honestly can't believe Phantasialand just built one of the best themed areas ever and people are still complaining about a couple of blank walls in the queue
Not only in the queue:
20200917_231632.jpg

It seems to me that it is not quite finished yet. Especially the launch decoration. It doesn't feel quite right....
20200917_210536.jpg

But I am positively surprised by the area. It looks great and I can't wait to visit this area!

Frisbee

Roller Poster
Walls...

Chiapas is amazing. Klugheim is even more detailed and Rookburgh on a completly new level. So why are there walls with almost no theming? Well, I guess it's due to Corona. The waiting line must be 4 times longer than usual to keep the distance. Imagine the Taron queue of the first weeks x 4 ! This is something realy realy long.

The panning of Rookburgh has started 5-6 years ago. Long before Covid19, so they had to replan the queue this year. In a themed and tiny area like this, it's hard to change anything within the last months of the project. I'm sure, these "boring walls" are the result of Covid. They are temporarly till the situation is getting better. So no complaints please ;)

Phantasiastisch

Mega Poster
There will always be budget cuts in some parts of themed areas, as is the case with Rookburgh and Klugheim but that's mostly places you don't see from the perspective you should see it.

I am very happy with nearby parks such as Phantasialand and Europa-Park. You will not find this level anywhere else in Europe. Except Disneyland Paris but Disney isn't a family owned park, it's a gigantic company so that's a completely different story. And then again: even Disney or Universal have unfinished parts due to budget cuts.

But that is not surprising either. The more detailed the theming, the more the less themed parts stand out. Then you still really have to focus on it, in my opinion.

The only question I have for people who are lighting out the unfinished spots:

Can you still see all the beauty of these themed areas? Or do you focus every time on what has not been finished?

In that last case , it must be that you can no longer enjoy the beauty of projects such as Rookburgh? If you want to see an even better themed area, you can only go to Disneyland Paris here in Europe. For the rest you have to travel to the USA, China or Japan. Then I would rather be satisfied with what they put up close here and where I can go several times than that I travel further away once every so often.

No offense to them who focus on the unfinished spots, it's just sad that you look at things that way all the time. :)

Stanjensjens

Roller Poster
Can you still see all the beauty of these themed areas? Or do you focus every time on what has not been finished?

In that last case , it must be that you can no longer enjoy the beauty of projects such as Rookburgh? If you want to see an even better themed area, you can only go to Disneyland Paris here in Europe. For the rest you have to travel to the USA, China or Japan. Then I would rather be satisfied with what they put up close here and where I can go several times than that I travel further away once every so often.

No offense to them who focus on the unfinished spots, it's just sad that you look at things that way all the time. :)

You really don't get much further when the only thing people are saying is: 'Everything is amazing and perfect'. I think forums like these are meant to criticize and discuss.

I must say I'm positively surprised in general, especially with the layout of the area. But I get what people are saying with blank walls, however, I think its more the mix of weathered steel/wood and parts that look brand new. Feels kinda weird.

I think the music is terrible though, I cannot think of one positive point other than that it was probably cheap to produce and more money went into the area itself.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
This guy gets it. One question, though. Better, overall I mean, than Klugheim?
Its tough because feelings can obviously change over time as you get used to it and the opening hype (FLYPE) dies down. So I'm reculant to immediately proclaim it 'the best thing ever!' (as i'm sure some will)
Industry/steampunk just by its nature obviously hasn't got the same beauty as the natural (universal rocks) landscapes of Chiapas and Klugheim.
However I felt today it is certainly more consistently immersive - once in there you forget about the rest of the park, you see nothing but Rookburgh around you, total 360 degree experience. While Klugheim in places, through no fault of its own other than location and the compact nature of PHL, you can see neighbouring China and Mexico.
There's also more going on in terms of animated/moving theming and effects (grates in the paths is all I'm saying - if you've been you know what I mean) so it feels more alive. And I loved the boarding process for F.L.Y. leading up to the station - its so well thought out and incorporated into a thematic experience rather than just a nicely decorated queueline. And no cattlepen is always a plus.

sooooooooo thematic experience wise it certainly tops Klugheim. I do think they've out done themselves.
As for personal preference/enjoyment for now I'll still say Chiapas over all of them. ;)

Extra side note:
- there will be a single rider and front row line once corona f***s off

DocLa

Roller Poster
The panning of Rookburgh has started 5-6 years ago. Long before Covid19, so they had to replan the queue this year. In a themed and tiny area like this, it's hard to change anything within the last months of the project. I'm sure, these "boring walls" are the result of Covid. They are temporarly till the situation is getting better. So no complaints please ;)

When you spread out Taron‘s cattle pen you get a que that is equally long as FLY‘s. So I don’t think they are shortly planned or temporary...

cocoa

Mega Poster
Interesting that they still draw the facades as totally flat on the park map. Surely its worth it to distort it a little bit and draw them like full buildings to help sell the illusion? Like how you don't see disney's behind-the-scenes infrastructure on their maps.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Speaking of, at this point it's been years since Phantasialand started the construction of a new coaster. Wouldn't they be due for another one soon?

I'm joking, of course, but remember, this thread was started on September 1, 2016. Taron and Raik had opened only 62 days earlier, on June 30.

My money is on a complete China refurb.
  • A new River Quest entrance has already been prepared, and could be used once the old one would be blocked by a construction site
  • Hotel Ling Bao's experience will likely suffer with a huge construction site out front, hence why Phantasialand wanted a 3rd hotel before touching that area.
  • Geister Rikscha had some effects repaired and theming refurbished, which Phantasialand especially likes to do with rides in their last season operating
  • Crazy Bats is clearly here to stay for a couple more years, I would assume because PHL has real trouble making any plans for the Fanatsy area fly (lol) with the neighbors

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
My money is on a complete China refurb.
  • A new River Quest entrance has already been prepared, and could be used once the old one would be blocked by a construction site
  • Hotel Ling Bao's experience will likely suffer with a huge construction site out front, hence why Phantasialand wanted a 3rd hotel before touching that area.
  • Geister Rikscha had some effects repaired and theming refurbished, which Phantasialand especially likes to do with rides in their last season operating
  • Crazy Bats is clearly here to stay for a couple more years, I would assume because PHL has real trouble making any plans for the Fanatsy area fly (lol) with the neighbors
Also explains the sudden desire to get that Matamba entrance up and running... Was it really just Corona?