What's new

Oddest Coaster You've Ridden

I've got Leap the Dips now! Woop. :D

Edit: yeah just realised this says oddest, not oldest. Herp a derp.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hmm, I couldn't think of one, but three and it would be these:

Queen Bee @ Bottons Skegness
Tyrolean Tubtwist @ Joyland
The Ultimate @ Lightwater Valley

Youngster Joey said:
^^^^^Technically its a family coaster.

Technically, there's no single, official way to categorize "family" and "kiddy" coasters.

But with a 38" height requirement and reaching a whopping 23 mph... there's still no definition.

That's slower than a school zone, though and a three year old can ride without an adult.

Sounds like a kiddie ride to me. You're just embarrassed that it's so much fun. :p

I'm not going to go for the obvious one-of-a-kind coasters, like Gravity Max or Atlantis Adventure, because even though they're unique, I wouldn't use the word "odd" to describe them.

It's probably Zola 7. It starts off as a shooting dark ride, but then the guns lock into place and it ends as a coaster.

Honorable mentions to:

Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain
Bullfight Roller Coaster Matador
Galaxy Express 999
Vliegende Hollander

rollermonkey said:
Youngster Joey said:
^^^^^Technically its a family coaster.

Technically, there's no single, official way to categorize "family" and "kiddy" coasters.

But with a 38" height requirement and reaching a whopping 23 mph... there's still no definition.

That's slower than a school zone, though and a three year old can ride without an adult.

Sounds like a kiddie ride to me. You're just embarrassed that it's so much fun. :p

:?

Not embarrassed at all. Just considering there's a legit kiddie cred at the other end of the park i'd call bobsleds a family coaster. either way this isn't really worth arguing over. yes i did start it, but i've now ended it as well.

oh haha i thought this said oldest. well in case anyone was wondering...oldest ive ridden is the cyclone. as for the oddest? the oddest name was the tickler, also at coney island. as for the oddest coaster, probably soarin eagle. ALSO at coney island. lets face it. luna park has some pretty weird and unique stuff.

Pepsi Orange Streak at Nick Universe (Mall of America) is pretty weird. So is the Santa Monica West Coaster at the Santa Monica Pier, just so short and slow but high above the boardwalk.

This bloody thing:
bkqc6cu001b3d9f5le838i.jpg

Apparently there was also a version for a year or two at Wiener Prater.

It's...
9j4j7o00ap3abpdbi0q4l1.jpg

The UK's only travelling (static in a field) Black Hole coaster which doesn't go upside down for one year in 2006. It's a title Alton Towers would be proud of :p

The oddest thing was the trains. They really were just Tesco shopping trolleys with a lid and upstop wheels and some fake leather padding:
971cu001b4t9f5lea38io6.jpg

I don't remember much about the ride other than "this isn't the way I wanted to die". Then it was over and I felt aggrieved about paying two quid for it ;)

Black Diamond and Blazing Fury are both odd little things, sort of riding around inside for a while with a decided lack of coasterness. Also, when Diamond hits the chain lift in a couple spots it's deafening, easily the loudest things I've ever heard on a ride. Twister at Knoebels has that switchback lift and it might be just me, but I find it incredibly, pointlessly odd. Also, it looks ridiculous.

Yeah Blazing Fury was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. I'd even say parts of it were creepy.

Black Hole - Strange German indoor coaster, but not a bad ride. Not really special as a coaster model, but a weird experience.

Rodelbaan - de Waarbeek, second oldest steel coaster still operating. Felt like it was gonna fall apart.

Winjas at Phantasialand is rather odd; because concept-wise it sounds great on paper, but none of the things that make it different are executed well enough to be exciting on ride. These two indoor Maurer spinners contain many weird little trick tracks up their shared (but disappointingly not dualing) sleeve. I don't understand why Phantasialand bought two coasters to form one ride experience, then barely intertwined the tracks together for a start.
Then we have the tilting elevator lift hill - an element that is fun on a Mack Wild Mouse, but problematic and irritating on a Maurer. The amount of times my car got stuck half way, or repeatedly raised then lowered before connecting to the rest of the track was ridiculous.
A rather 'meh' layout or hairpin turns, and swoopy turns and erm, sharp turns, follows. Then you get the brake run trick track, which stops the car and tilts it either forwards like a see-saw, or sideways, before connecting again to the track. It's weird and feels a bit pointless. Just when you're thinking that's all of Winjas quirky tricks, there's a little track drop at the end - which was probably a huge technological advance at the time of building Winjas, but is barely noticeable on the ride.

Radaxian said:
I don't understand why Phantasialand bought two coasters to form one ride experience, then barely intertwined the tracks together for a start.

Probably because they wanted a higher capacity and the tracks are different (Fear is a bit better). I agree with you in that it is quite an odd ride, but very good IMO.

For me it would be Green Lantern: First Flight. The ride was not fun and hurts a lot. Soarin' Eagle at Luna is also odd in just how the lift and mechanics of the ride works.