What's new

"Now Showing"

Adventureland

Filmed at Kennywood (I didn't know until I watched it) and I saw the same lame shooting game I played while I was there and whatnot.. So that's automatic plus points. The movie itself was okay but I felt like they didn't develop the whole relationship thing between the guy and the girl.. Wasn't a hilarious movie, like, it had its moments but it wasn't a top tenner or anything. Still worth a watch though!

7/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Reading the_missus review of Sliver it reminded me that it was one of those films I wanted to watch when it came out but never got round to seeing. Anyway...

Slither:
It was a good film and the effects and make up were simply amazing. Although I never really felt anything for the characters which meant I didn't care if they were in a dangerous situation. It was funny although it wasn't funny enough to make me laugh out loud which was a shame as I was waiting for a moment that was going to. The gore was really good though. All looked very realistic and it had some pretty good scenes.
It's worth watching as I first thought it was going to be some crappy cheesy horror/comedy movie but it was actually pretty good.
8/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j-y6B7UpQM[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
^^I really want to see Adventureland, can't wait for it to come out over here (think we get it in September).

Recently got back from the cinema. So, plenty of new releases which I haven't seen yet, so what one did I go for? Yep, The Final Destination, in 3D of course.

I went in expecting pretty much the same as the first three films but with added sharp objects flying towards you. I was pretty much spot on, which in a way is a good thing. I'm a big fan of the first three films, I find them very enjoyable, sick and twisted. I found this film even more creative than the first three and I loved the twists towards the end. Another thing I loved was the subtle hints about the previous films (a news report on a TV in the background is about theme parks, bus has 108 on the top of it) and the whole title sequence pretty much dedicated to the first three films but done in such an amazingly cool way.

Basically if you loved the first three films, you will absolutely LOVE this one.

Rating: 4/5

Ollie

CF Legend
^Does the 3D on that make a difference? When I saw Bolt in 3D all it did was give it more depth like I was watching it on a stage. Is the 3D in the new FD film like that or does it come right out the screen at you like in Pirates 4D at Thorpe?

I need to know as the local only shows it in 2D but if it's the really cool 3D that comes right out in your face then I won't mind taking the bus and ferry to Portsmouth and paying a little bit extra for the ticket to see it in 3D.

peep

CF Legend
^Now you're starting the 3D argument again. I prefer films which don't go out of their way to go "OMG, look, this stick is like going to come out of the screen and into your face". I like the other type of 3D (e.g. Bolt), I love having more depth to the image rather than it being used as a pure gimmick as these films do not translate well once not in 3D (I don't care what they say the DVDs/Blu-ray releases are not in "3D").

However Ollie, you will love this in 3D as it is the "OMG, look, this stick is like going to come out of the screen and into your face". For this sort of film the gimmick works but people seeing it in 2D (and at home) will be bitterly disappointed compared to the people seeing it in 3D.

Ollie

CF Legend
Cool. How close up do things get?
Like in Pirates some of the objects got up inches from your face into your comfort zone and was great.
I like that gimmicky 3D. It makes scares better and gives you more involvement in the film. As long as the film is good on it's own I have no problem with it being in 3D. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Cool. Also another thing I don't get about 3D in cinemas is what the difference between 3D, Digital 3D, and Real D is.

Should be seeing TFD on Sunday with friends. Was going to see it tomorrow but moved it to Sunday now so we can go to the other cinema to see it in 3D and we can see an earlier screening.
I rewatched the 3rd FD the other night as well. Still pretty good. I love the way that some of the deaths are a chain reaction but I don't like the way they used "The photos give us clues" thing.

peep

CF Legend
^There is only Real D and Dolby Digital 3D. The latter is the one more commonly used. Real D is usually what Disney use and everyone else seems to use Dolby Digital 3D. There isn't much of a difference tbh, I think it's just different companies producing the 3D prints or something.

Ollie

CF Legend
Frontier(s):
This French film is like their version of Hostel. It started off slow and it didn't seem to know what sort of film it wanted to be but about half an hour in when they got to the place it kicked off. It's a decent film but it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. There is alot of blood and gore though and in some places it was a bit over the top with the use of it.
That said though it's not a bad film and worth seeing if you've got the chance or you want a gory evening movie to watch.
6/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_I3zv997qg[/youtube]

RCF

Strata Poster
The Haunting in Connecticut.

10/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBxwSeCNmOs[/youtube]

I thought this was a great movie. It was very startling at times, yet it had a story behind. Most people probably thought that this was just your typical haunting based on a true story where they get scared out of the house and never return, but it's not like that. I think it's possible that this stuff actually happened, but that's for another time or everyone else will jump on my back.

Snoo

The Legend
Valkyrie

6/10

Well.. yeah. The plot was dull at points and it lacked good flow throughout the film.

RCF, ten out of ten? It was a good movie but holy crap I didn't think it was that good :p . Main character was kinda cute though.

Marcus I heard that movie was pretty good, you're actually probably the only neutral/negative review I've heard so far.

Ollie

CF Legend
Decided to go all the way to Portsmouth in the end to see the film in 3D. The thing we forgot though is that there are less buses on Sundays so decided to walk to the ferry (about a 90 minute walk) as we didn't want to wait 20 minutes for the bus. :lol:
The film started at 3pm and we got there at about 3:15 but the woman said it was about to start (because of all the adverts beforehand). But by the time we got in we had missed about the first minute or so so it wasn't a massive loss and we got in in time to see the first accident and his premonition. Anyway please be aware that my review may contain slight spoilers. Nothing that ruins the film but I don't want Clammy moaning at me again. :p

The Final Destination 3D:

Really enjoyable film actually and one of the best Final Destination films of the series. Some said it was just in 3D for the gimmick effect but it actually worked really well and made the scenes and deaths much better and more gruesome. The deaths are still just as well thought out and clever and really entertaining (in a sick way).
You'd think having 4 films using the same formula it would of got old ages ago but this shows that you can still make a really enjoyable film by using different places that people feel safe in and making it into a death trap.
I really liked the way they used the cinema as a location as well and you realised that you were in the cinema watching a 3D film as well and that really made you feel like you were involved in the film as well as it felt like you were included in that scene as something was about to happen.
Most people think of films from the series as cheesy, crappy, gory movies and an excuse for blood and guts. But it's the way that the film doesn't take itself too seriously either that makes it so good and if you dismiss the fact it's so unrealistic then it's great fun to watch.
The film also makes it fun to watch for those used to how they work. It uses red herrings at some points where you think something is going to happen then something else goes off causing the death which is quite cool.
Even though this is probably the shortest of the films it doesn't really matter as it just gets to the deaths and doesn't try to drag it on with useless chat. The crash in the first film is brought up but only for about 30 seconds so it doesn't really play on it the whole way through like the third one did. There are also a few hidden things for people who have seen the other films like the bus numbers and the words in the newspapers.
So as always it's another well thought out and enjoyable FD film and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. :)
8/10

Also the opening credits were amazing :p

And then after the ferry back to Gosport we walked home again as the next bus wasn't for another hour. We got lost walking home bus soon found a road we recognised. :)

the_missus

Mega Poster
^It's an amazing film!! I'm not the hugest Tarantino fan but this film is immense!! Absolutely loved it! And it whole-heartedly deserves that 10/10 from the lovely Ben!!! :D

Also, The Final Destination is a great little film. I didn't go in there expecting an amazing storyline or very well-developed characters and I wasn't disappointed! The death scenes in it are cringe-worthy and funny at the same time! Just what you expect from a Final Destination film! The 3-D element, made it that little bit better than the others...well except the first!...cos that's just brilliant!

RCF

Strata Poster
The Fast and Furious(2009)

7.5/10

It was alright, a little bit confusing and some parts I did not understand at all. The plot line seemed very jumbled together, but some great scenes and a lot of action, which I like. :p