What's new

"Now Showing"

Snoo

The Legend
The Ringer

Well.. older movie about Johnny Knoxville being trying to rig the Special Olympics. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would have been.. being that I am a bit sensitive to mentally handicapped stereotypes with my brother being 'slow' if you can say that.. but they didn't portray anyone in a horrible light. Otherwise, I thought it was ok.. but not great.

7/10

kimahri

CF Legend
You know.

I though Cloverfield wouldent be as good on DVD/Bluray than the Cinema.

How wrong was I.

I love Cloverfield. Defo in my top 10.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Max Manus

I bet most of haven't heard of this movie. Olenik2 certainly has, perhaps loefet too, but I doubt that many CF-ers ever will see it. It's a Norwegian film about the resistance movement during WWII, the most expensive film ever made in Norway.

(I don't know whether to put a spoiler warning here, as all the content is year 9 curriculum in Norway, and it won't bother the rest of the world)
It follows the story of Max Manus, from Oslo, and his friends who formed the Oslo Gang, a resistance group. The entire films starts on April 9, 1940, the day of the German Invasion, where Max and his friends agrees to form the Oslo Gang. Max is later arrested for making illegal newspapers, gets injuried when he tries to escape, escapes again from hospital, and gets to Scotland to get military training. Later follows three famous sabotage raids, and the film ends on June 7, 1945, when the king returns to Norway.

I liked this film. The filmmakers have done a great job recreating Oslo anno 1940, and the actors played well. The first and third sabotage scenes were very exciting, and really made me sit on the edge of my seat. The second raid was somewhat short, and in broad daylight, as it was in real life. There was also a lot of American movie-ish shooting scenes, some of them really touching, as the heroes die one by one (which causes Max a lot of emotional trouble).

All in all, a monument in Norwegian Film history, and the best Norwegian film since Flåklypa Grand Prix.
10/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pan is a Greek god who looks like the Roman mythical creatures - fauns. I don't know why the title was changed, as we know of fauns as well as Pan over here. Perhaps the marketeers over here decided we needed to elevate the status of the faun to a God, to make the end less depressing?

Kim, the ending... It's up to you to decide. Either way, Ofelia is happy, so it's not a sad ending at all :)

I've watched lots over Christmas. It was all rubbish :p

A

Anonymous

Pokemaniac said:
Max Manus
perhaps loefet too,
Nope never hard of it, but it sounds pretty interesting though.
Pokemaniac said:
Flåklypa Grand Prix.
Everyone keeps telling me that it's awesome, but I have never seen it. Might be time to do it though...

Watched Ivanhoe on the TV yesterday as it's somewhat like a Swedish new year tradition. Have seen it for several years now, and it's a pretty nice way to spend a few hours of the new year.
The film itself is a bit cheesy as most other early 80's films are, but still entertaining.

Oh, and by the way he clearly made the wrong choice in the end...

thx

Mega Poster
Burn After Reading- It was hilarious, had some small twists, decent plot, great characters and quite a bit of nice critizism of today's society/trends (which too few people actually 'get'), overall it was a good Coen film.
as a small downside they might've slightly overused the f-word, judging from before I guess it's their humour, it was funny, but it's fading, I'm a bit disappointed if they continue the style in a next movie
8.5/10

Body of Lies- Got free tickets all of a sudden for one day, so went to watch the 'next' interesting movie that started.
It was interesting, although admittedly I was quite confused of what really was going on for the first about 25mins (it is just over 2hrs long). The shots were well done, it all felt and looked quite authentic, had some funny bits and the story was good, also as it sort of showed both sides opinion of some politics with CIA and its partners in the middle east. You could see that it was a Ridley Scott movie, most of it in a good way, but then also some too predicateble solutions. Good watch 8.3/10

Phase IV: A scifi about lethal ants from 1974. The movie was pretty cheap, although visually it was really beautiful (with great closeups of real ants, believe me it's better than it sounds :lol:) with some strange psychedlic influences at a few times, as well with the storytelling way, reminded me a bit of the fantastic 2001:A Space Odyssey. Also the plot was really predictable and the acting was a bit weak. Oh and the music was nice. Overall, it was worth the watch however. 6.5/10

The Godfather: Part II- Not much need to be said about this. I liked the first one more, but this is probably the best "sequel" ever (at least from the movies I've seen). 9/10.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I watched Speed last night, starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper.

It's actually amazing. So entertaining and thrilling.

Even the lift scene at the beginning was really intense, and that wasn't even the main event! When the bus ride actually begins, so many twists and turns happen and you just think, "no way".

9/10.

I don't plan on seeing Speed 2. I've seen the ending, and I hear that's the only good part of it. Besides, being on a cruise ship doesn't sound thrilling at all.

I thought I'd also mention that this film looks simply amazing. David Fincher is just awesome, as I've seen with Fight Club and Se7en, I just can't wait for this.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFtTEALMV30[/youtube]
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0421715/

Error

Strata Poster
Went it saw Yes man

Very funny movie, with moments were I nearly fell out of my seat. The storyline was pretty straight-forward and not hard to follow at all. And, there is a moral to it all, which makes it better.

Overall, good movie, and great for a laugh.

9/10

Johnny, Benjamin Button is getting very mixed reviews, but I think it looks pretty good actually. I was a bit iffy at first, but I kinda wanna go see it now! According to IMDb it's decent, so I'll have to check it out myself.

I bought the Pianist today for six bucks so I'll probably watch that soonish.

I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall again last night and it somehow got better than the first time I watched it, so like 8.5/10 is my new rating for it.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
We watched Eagle Eye earlier today. It looked interesting, so I was kind of curious to see it. It wasn't bad at all... had a lot of intrigue and was decently believable. All in all pretty good, I enjoyed it. 8.5/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Mamma Mia:

It was OK. The casting was average and they relied on big names to make the film. As a result the acting was poor. Pierce Brosnan couldn't sing at all and ruined the whole film.
I don't get why this movie was so hyped up. Most of the dances were random and the pace was quite slow. Still it was enjoyable to watch it ONCE . But anymore than that and it would probably start to get on my nerves.
Once you take away the 100 odd songs the plot is EXTREMELY thin 'Girl invites 3 guys to wedding to find her dad'.
The only people I can see this appealing to is teenage girls and their mothers/aunts who were alive when the ABBA music was coming out.
About halfway through the film I was getting impatient and just want it to speed the pace up a little.
The stage show is sooo much better. The only advantage this has is that the sets are better.
And I don't hate ABBA music. I actually like it and find I quite catchy and cheerful. But this film as a whole I thought was rubbish.

5/10

AeRo

Hyper Poster
I watched the first 15 minutes of Mama Mia ... then switched it off.

You are generous giving it a 5 Ollie.

3/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
You gave it 15 minutes of your life AeRo? I'm disappointed you didn't spot such dirge from 200 miles!!! :p

Erm, Airplane - was on New Years Eve and recorded it. Still fantastic, such a shame I've seen it so many times. Brilliant anyway and a film everyone must watch! 10/10 :)

Oh come on, Mamma Mia wasn't THAT bad. Like, I anticipated it to be kinda crappy, but I found that it wasn't overly long, and therefore didn't drag on or get boring. I like the girl who plays in it, and although her mom annoys me, I didn't think the cast was horrible by any means. I also like some of the ABBA songs, mainly Dancing Queen, but yeah, my whole point is I don't think it's as bad as I thought, and in my opinion is not as dire as people on here are making it out to be.

Erm, Airplane - was on New Years Eve and recorded it. Still fantastic, such a shame I've seen it so many times. Brilliant anyway and a film everyone must watch! 10/10

Everytime I hear of the movie Airplane I crack up just thinking of the scene with the girl in the hospital bed :p .

AeRo

Hyper Poster
furie said:
You gave it 15 minutes of your life AeRo? I'm disappointed you didn't spot such dirge from 200 miles!!! :p

I too was disappointed, but was kinda taken in by the hype of seeing a massive display unit in Tesco at Christmas and the speed at which they seem to have been sold. Thank god I chose not to buy. :shock:

I watched loads of other movies over christmas, the best one was Slum dog Millionaire, a sort of love story about a group of kids from the ghettos of Mumbai. One of the kids goes on to the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire to try and win the girl from his childhood. It is based on a true story, and is really excellent.

8/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
I watched mamma mia on the airplane coming back from the uk.. because i only had 3 choices.. and i'd watched "ghost town" on the way to england.. and i sure as hell wasnt watching the 3rd choice!

Mamma Mia.. Absolute tosh.. 1/10.. BUT I did enjoy the songs being camp at heart.. so erm.. 4 out of 10.

... Now back to reality....

Tonight I watched "NOISE" Quite a nice premise for a movie.. I really enjoyed it.. all about a bloke who gets fed up with car alarms and takes matters into his own hands... Enjoyable.. but predictable.. totally unecessary 3some sex scene in the middle of it - which was completely out of context of the movie and was just the writer/director feeling horny (or something).. so great idea - let down by execution - seen it all before.. but was watchable...

7/10

Incredible Hulk (the new one).... I thought I'd HATE this I was soooo let down by the Ang Lee monstoristy that i thought this film would suck the sweat off a dead mans balls (thanks robin!). But it wasnt that bad... the whole way it started was very "batman begins" (i.e. how would this actually work in the REAL world).. And that worked quite well..

I was enjoying the movie significantly up until the first special computer generated effect of the hulk... which TOTALLY didnt work for me.. They made the hulk look like a boy band member!

So ok.. hulk.. It was alreet.. the plot was good.. I felt for the characters.. nothing particularly bad about the thing... Very predictable (but you expect that from a movie like this!).. But I didnt like the hulk CG.

So 7/10

Oh and i also Watched HANDJOB (sorry cock) The other day.. REALLY fun enjoyable movie.. but will smith as an unlikeable alcoholic bum just didnt work for me (they shouldve cast me!). So the film itself was great! But the lead actor they chose for the job was ****e...

6/10