What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
A few from the last couple of days:

Eternals

Not bad. Obviously overlong, very formulaic with atrocious dialogue and a "subtle" message to beat the audience around the head with at frequent intervals. The first half an hour is spent on the eternals yelling each others' names so that the presumably brain-dead audience can learn who these new characters are.

Antlers

I quite liked this one. The trailer made it seem like a typical "monster in the woods" kind of thing, but it was more gory body horror. It's filmed very well with decent performances, but it's incredibly bleak. It's not quite as artsy as it thinks it is though.

Last Night in Soho

Yeah, this was great. I was worried at first that it was going to try too hard to be cool - and there's an element of that - but it manages to strike a balance I think.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
The two "modern" leads are simpering, wet and annoying...
To quote a critical line I've seen you use before, she was perhaps a bit too 'Will-friendly'. Having said that, the main reason I wanted to see that film was I'd seen a lot of people use the term 'Argento-esque' and Eloise certainly had a little Suzy Bannion about her.

I love a good psychological thriller, so this really did tick all the boxes for me - and I know when a film's got inside my head when I can't wait to get out of the cinema and check that the real world still exists afterwards! I think that may also have been the first time I've audibly gone 'Oh, **** no!' in the middle of a quiet cinema. I didn't have the issue that I saw the ending coming - as usual, I had a theory that turned out entirely wrong :D

If I have any criticism, it's that I felt it died off a little around the halfway mark and felt like you were just waiting twenty minutes or so for the rather intense conclusion to kick in. I'm also not certain how re-watchable it would prove.

Oh - and please tell me having Matt Smith burst out of a phonebox was deliberate :D

James F

Hyper Poster
Just got back from seeing Last Night In Soho.

As expected from Edger Wright the attention to detail in this film is stunning, from the production design, the cinematography, sound deign & mixing, everything is meticulously placed to immerse you into this world, from the warm nostalgic vibrancy of 60s London, to the sleazy clubs and dark alleyways, Wright is a master at this kind of thing and in those technical aspects he excels himself.

Without spoiling anything this film deals with some dark and upsetting subject matter and creative way it blends in seamlessly with the horror and supernatural elements make for the highlights of this film.

My main critic is the writing. Characters such as the bitchy bullies feel like they are from an after school special and the romantic relationship doesn't really seem necessary. I wasn't a fan of the big reveal either
Sandie had no need to tell Ellie about her being the murderer as she never suspected her, plus how could she dispose hundreds of dead bodies on her own without being caught. I know it's the 60s, but c'mon.
The whole reveal just felt like a game of Cluedo, to me it was tonally inconsistent with the rest of the story.

I did enjoy the film overall and I would recommend it to those who are interested in seeing it, while it seems I have more negative things to say, the positives mostly out way the negatives. 7/10

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Agreed on the bullies and relationship, to be fair, they did little more than establish Ellie's character whilst not really having any of their own.

With the other point, my interpretation was
The bodies ended up in walls/floorboards etc. - which needs a certain suspension of disbelief, but also remember the comments made early on about the smells in Summer and that you'd quickly smell nothing but garlic inside the house

peep

CF Legend
Eternals in IMAX was very meh. There's some really cool aspects in this film, like the way the speedster was filmed was really effective. I think maybe the film was trying to do too many things and that resulted in everything just being a little under baked. I felt like Dune was able to capture the sheer scale of things perfectly and this was clearly trying to do the same thing and in some cases failing. A lot of the humour felt unnatural to the characters or the moment but the scene on the film set was fun. The biggest feeling I had by the end was that it felt like a DC movie in all the wrong ways. I just felt like I was having no connection to the majority of the characters or the story. The editing was also terrible, some things had so much time to breathe and other moments felt cut off.

Last Night in Soho in Dolby was great. For a start it's always fun when you know the locations like the back of your hand (I didn't realise they filmed a fair bit up in Fitzrovia where I worked). The way it was filmed was really clever (the cafe de Paris sequence!) and the audio design and mix were absolutely superb. The audio was so loud I nearly had a heart attack with several of the jump scares (pretty sure I saw the couple near me physically jump at one of them).

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
If you haven’t stumbled across them yet, the new Mickey Mouse short cartoons are incredible.

I have no hesitation in saying that this easily the weirdest and most off-beat stuff that Disney has ever put out (that I've seen at least). I mean... look at this! This is what Disney is putting out officially as ‘Mickey Mouse’.

9LNRaAh.jpg

Icqj9NC.jpg

ylQi6dq.jpg

NVKRV0C.jpg

V1PbuH1.jpg

mgaFE86.gif

It's the best. Bravo.

Two episodes to whet you appetite:

That “obsessed” line in the second video - oh my god 😂

nadroJ

CF Legend
Rewatched Moulin Rouge for the millionth time this evening because I’m in a weird chaotic/lovesick kind of mood that only Baz Luhrmann can see to and I’ve decided it’s a hatecrime that we don’t have a 1900s Montmartre themed land somewhere in the world.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Ghostbusters Afterlife

I should've watched some trailers. Didn't realise the main characters were annoying kids. It was ok, but I was hoping for more. There are a few cute nods to the original, but, without sounding pretentious, it just didn't have the essence of those earlier films. The end was a total schmaltz fest which many will gush over, but I found to be too obviously overly-sentimental and out of place.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Watched two movies from my list today (I've got COVID so decided I'm going to try and smash a load off my watch list whilst I'm self-isolating)

Margaret
I love a good social realist/coming of age angsty movie and this is stocked full of that. It feels really real and frustrating, really captures that thing where you take your feelings out on those you love when you can't find the proper way to express yourself. It was a touch too long for my liking (it's a 2.5 hr run time...) but it's really raw and real and emotional. I dug it.

Minding the Gap
An actually-real social realism documentary that pretends to be about skateboarding but is really about the kids doing the skateboarding and their individual lives. Set against a backdrop of what is called America's 'rust-belt', the film explores the ramifications of a post-2008 financial crisis mid-America, and the impact on the youth affected by these issues. Again, it's bleak but got a lot of heart. We cover everything from depression, alcoholism, domestic abuse, racism, homophobia, the whole shebang. And yet somehow it's incredibly wholesome. It's streaming on iPlayer, I'd recommend it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ghostbusters Afterlife

I should've watched some trailers. Didn't realise the main characters were annoying kids. It was ok, but I was hoping for more. There are a few cute nods to the original, but, without sounding pretentious, it just didn't have the essence of those earlier films. The end was a total schmaltz fest which many will gush over, but I found to be too obviously overly-sentimental and out of place.
Yeah, pretty much this. I was entertained, but it was just nothing special. I think, as almost always these days, the problem is that there isn't much contention or strife in making a film. It's just a machine, and "everything can be done". So things are all just feeling the same. I'm sure it was absolutely the same with films before, there have always been the mainstream films that are just filmmaking by numbers - but films like Ghostbusters were "breakout" films that made it big. It's capturing lightning a bottle that doesn't happen now, because there doesn't seem to be any risk to attempt it.

Anyway, it was okay. It wasn't the worst Ghostbusters film.......

peep

CF Legend
Ghostbusters Afterlife - It was ok, I certainly had fun while watching it. To me it felt like it had more of a Goonies vibe mixed in with Ghosterbusters, just the kids essentially exploring to find things complete with a score that feels straight out of the 80s. I agree with Gavin that it gets a bit too sentimental at the end. The mid and post credit scenes felt a bit weird and out of place.

Mothering Sunday - I didn't really know anything about this film when going in and it was fine, not my cup of tea. Just a slow story about a girl finding the spark that drives her to become a writer. It jumps around between 3 different periods in her life which can put me off a film but I think it mostly worked here.

King Richard - I really liked this film, very strong performances by the cast and a fantastic story. The Williams family is very inspirational even if the Father's methods are a bit questionable at times.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
House of Gucci

I mostly enjoyed it, but it's quite inconsistent and I don't think it was particularly well-written. It jumps between camp and comical to serious melodrama when it needed to probably choose one angle and go with it.

The performances are mostly very good, and it's the kind of film that has acting Oscars written all over it. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lady Gaga and Adam Driver get "main role" nominations. Al Pacino probably deserves a nod for supporting actor. Jared Leto, however, does not, but he will.

The hair and make-up department will be responsible for his supporting actor nod, but I found him to be a bit s**t. He's created this bizarre comedy cartoon character that doesn't fit with the film at all. It just comes across as very self-absorbed and that he doesn't know, or care, what film he's actually in.

peep

CF Legend
The hair and make-up department will be responsible for his supporting actor nod, but I found him to be a bit s**t. He's created this bizarre comedy cartoon character that doesn't fit with the film at all. It just comes across as very self-absorbed and that he doesn't know, or care, what film he's actually in.

I was watching Mark Kermode and he basically said the same thing. I really liked House of Gucci and agreed the acting all round was great. I did enjoy Leto though, sure he's a little OTT but I thought it gave some scenes a bit of needed humour. I had a good time with it though even if it is a little uneven and probably could done with some trimming.

I also saw Encanto which is extremely bright and colourful. The songs are pretty good, standard Lin Manuel-Miranda fare. The animation was beautiful and there were some fun camera moves in there. It's certainly a little flawed though, I think it might be an issue of too many characters even if they do joke about this fact in the opening number. It's also feels like the story loses some of its energy in the middle like it doesn't know where to take it next. Despite its flaws it is a fun time and the short film before it is really nice.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Spiderman - No Way Home

No spoilers here - By far the best Spiderman film and certainly up there with some of the best MCU films.
If you're a Spiderman fan, you'll love it. If you're not, you'll still enjoy the film. Funny, sad, exciting and definitely the film of 2021.

James F

Hyper Poster
Spider-Man: No Way Home
Great fun! I had a blast with this, I felt the nostalgia of the Rami films with the scope and spectacle of the MCU. One of my main issues of the MCU is a lack of a compelling villain and a lack of consequence for the hero, I am glad to say this film is one of the exceptions within the cannon. 8/10

The Power of The Dog

I wasn't expecting much, but this film had me floored by how gripping it was. I can hear the Oscar bee buzzing for Benedict Cumberbatch and director Jane Campion who are working at the peek of their respective crafts. I am going to sound like a film snob here, but honestly EVERY SINGLE SHOT seems poetic and gives you so much detail about the characters and the world they live in. I empathised with Phil Burbank (Benedict Cumberbatch) despite his anger and his treatment of people around him. While it has a steady moving plot, Jane Campion is a master at creating tension, I was at the edge of my seat just watching Cumberbatch plait rawhide into a lasso. My only minor critique is that I felt Kristian Dunst's character could of been explored a bit more. 8/10

Donnie Darko

After filling in @furie list of top 250 films, this was the most obvious and popular film that I missed. I had a great time with this, so many quotable moments such as "F**k***" and "Every Living Creature On This Earth Dies Alone." It's a harrowing film and one that seems just as relevant as ever. It's a real shame these kind of films just aren't made anymore. 9/10

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
So, I forget when or why, but @nadroJ was badgering me to watch a couple of musical films. I assumed I was being wound up as I remembered her recommendations generally being gorefests, but I have a lot of free time on my hands, so I went along with it.

Moulin Rouge is lively and exciting - it has immediately likeable (dareIsay relatable) if a little larger-than-life characters and it also helps that the musical numbers are mostly variations of well-loved classics. It's loud and almost demands your attention. I laughed a lot, cried a bit and then did the same all over again when I listened to half the soundtrack in the car the following day. I'll let it slide that surely the entire cast should have contracted TB...

La La Land by contrast, just feels like musical theatre by numbers. The start is promising and around 90 minutes in, you feel it's finally going somewhere, but here we have only two-dimensional, one-note characters, a not particularly engaging storyline and an ending that I shouted 'PREDICTABLE' at and at which I'd have thrown my socks if I hadn't been barefoot. I did like A Lovely Night and obviously The Fools Who Dream though. Also Ryan Gosling annoys me, though like my overall view on the film, I think that might be because I'm male.

I'm glad I only paid for the former :p I still have Romeo and Juliet on top of the cabinet for when I'm next feeling ludicrous...

Last edited:

nadroJ

CF Legend
So, I forget when or why, but @nadroJ was badgering me to watch a couple of musical films. I assumed I was being wound up as I remembered her recommendations generally being gorefests, but I have a lot of free time on my hands, so I went along with it.

Moulin Rouge is lively and exciting - it has immediately likeable (dareIsay relatable) if a little larger-than-life characters and it also helps that the musical numbers are mostly variations of well-loved classics. It's loud and almost demands your attention. I laughed a lot, cried a bit and then did the same all over again when I listened to half the soundtrack in the car the following day. I'll let it slide that surely the entire cast should have contracted TB...

La La Land by contrast, just feels like musical theatre by numbers. The start is promising and around 90 minutes in, you feel it's finally going somewhere, but here we have only two-dimensional, one-note characters, a not particularly engaging storyline and an ending that I shouted 'PREDICTABLE' at and at which I'd have thrown my socks if I hadn't been barefoot. I did like A Lovely Night and obviously The Fools Who Dream though. Also Ryan Gosling annoys me, though like my overall view on the film, I think that might be because I'm male.

I'm glad I only paid for the former :p I still have Romeo and Juliet on top of the cabinet for when I'm next feeling ludicrous...

Now watch A Star Is Born. I'll save you The Greatest Showman though if you didn't like La La Land as the songs were done by the same people. And I'd largely agree, La La Land IS very basic when it comes to storytelling and characters, I just really like the ending , and unfortunately for you to get there and for it to have any sort of resonance whatsoever you DO have to sit through the rest of the film 😂

Will

Strata Poster
^
Can't I just watch A Star is Burns*?

I used to work with a guy who was unfortunate enough to have an exaggerated version of many of my neuroses and last night I finally understood why he used to say he 'threw his socks' at films. The 'forget me, live your dreams blabla' ending was just too obvious and cloying for me, especially when they'd already made a couple of nods to Casablanca (which incidentally, I love). Like I say, I'll definitely end up watching Moulin Rouge again if I'm in one of those annoying moods I go into from time to time.

I complained about it on FB and got a reply from a recovering CFer on the lines of 'I don't know who you're trying to impress by putting yourself through that, Will, but I admire your dedication' which cracked me up :D

*Actually - might be too soon for Pukahontas

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Over the past few weeks I’ve made my way through the Harry Pottz films. I remember watching them all on release (as an overzealous hateful fanboy) and now, quite detached from the books (as an overzealous hateful man), I find myself having quite different views.

As a youngster, I resented (quite heavily) any side-stepped / curtailed plot, as if the films were somehow ‘missing out’ or suffering from the absence of granular detail. Now, I recognise that what works in a book doesn’t necessarily work in a film. Actually, the absence of such laborious storytelling can make a tale more demanding of attention.

Overall, Radcliffe, Grint and Watson are brilliant - they could not be better cast. Grint simply IS Ron.

Also, Alannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn….. (10 second pause) Rick-mannnnnnnnnnnn, is sensationally hilarious, especially in the first few films. I’m particularly fond of his “………… up to something!” tirade in the first. Brill.

***spoilers***

Philosopher’s Stone - Surprisingly one of the better films, by far the most charming and ‘magical’. A lack of budget on some scenes, notably the wizard’s chess section, is rather unfortunate, but overall better than I remembered. Good Dumbledoor is ace, shame he got replaced with crap Dumbledoor later on. Oh, anyone else notice that this is the only film/book with a flying lesson? 7/10

Chamber of Secrets - The longest film of the whole set. Somewhat mixed as it contains some jarring ‘dark’ moments with twee nonsense (such as the flying car). Notable for having Mr. Malfoy about to bust out the killing curse on Harry in Hogwarts before being stopped by Dobby - salty! Dobby can do one though, annoying as. 6/10

Prisoner of Azkaban - One of the more satisfying books, but one of the most nobishly directed films. Yes, there is a ****ing bridge. I have seen the bridge. I know it’s there! Stop showing me the ****ing bridge!! And yes, there’s also swinging pendulum. I get it. Also, the whomping willow. I ****ing get it! Stop it! Plus it’s bookended with the stupidest start (lumos in the bed - expel that ****) and ending (Harry farts during a broomstick freeze frame). Frustrating, but the stronger plot carries it. 7/10

Goblet of Fire - Probably the most well balanced? Starts getting saucy with the hormones. Oooo to be young! New Dumbledoor goes full on ****-mode at one point pushing Pottz around like nob. Moaning Myrtle, horribly cast, makes another terrible appearance, this time perving on Pottz’s wand and not even hiding it, wtf. Sirius appears in the fire with mad face effects. Death eaters should have got the Vic rub ready for when Volders comes back, he is super congested. 7.5/10

Order of the Phoenix - Most people have mixed feelings on the book because it’s needlessly long and poorly paced. The film adaptation is rather good. Umbridge is super menacing. The pen scenes are super creepy. Cho Chang scenes are mad awkward. Sirius appears in the fire again but looks like ****, what happened there? I’m sad with the lack of brain jellyfish (from the book) but all things considered…… I think maybe the best ‘film’? Certainly improves on the meandering book. During a ‘nightmare’-sequence towards the end, Volders makes a really funny ‘MEP!’ sound and I lol-ed. 7.5/10

Half Blood Prince - Mixed thoughts on this because I really like the potions book / Snape plot developments, but even at the time of reading I found myself deeply annoyed with the ‘out of nowhere cupboard reveal’. In the film, that is heavily hinted at upfront and throughout and that actually makes it a tad better. Lake scene cool. Not all that bad. Potions class scene is great. Slughorn can chomp a ***** though. Glad to see ‘crap Dumbledoor’ finally get the Kadavra treatment - Hurrrghn!!! 6.75/10

Deathly Hallows Part 1 - lol Hedgwick, take that ya ****ing owl!!! I mean, Hedgwick was just mean. Man, my face when reading the book, it was like ******** **** for the first time - the child in you just dies. Good amount of teenage mooding in this one. I swear Pottz is making moves on Hermione in the tent. Not surprised, I’m in love with Hermione at this point. 7/10

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Meh, ‘battle fatigue’ kicks in. Just too long, overwrought. Die already. 6/10

I’ll end with this majestic description of Order of the Phoenix on Now TV: “The boy wizard and his homies expected their fifth spell at Hogwarts to be tough... but this is riddikulus!”

👏

Last edited: