What's new

New coaster concepts that you think would be cool

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. There are many different types of coasters out there, and there are still new innovations being unveiled even now; for instance, I’d argue that S&S’ recently Axis model was a pretty radical invention! But the question stands; what next? What isn’t currently on a coaster anywhere in the world that you think would be really cool? Is there any particular idea or thing that you’d love for a coaster to do some day?

In terms of my idea; I read a really cool idea in the comments section of a Thirteen POV that I really liked, and that is a multi-route coaster. By this, I’m referring to a ride that could potentially take 2 or more different routes throughout its course, utilising switch track technology in order to make it possible. If you had multiple switch tracks throughout, you could get many different potential ride combinations, and the ride would be different every time! While I’ll admit I personally like consistency in a ride as opposed to the unknown of “what experience am I going to get?”, I do think this idea could be cool to explore (if money was no object, at least…)! With their recent investment in switch track technology, I reckon Intamin could pull this off…

But what thing would you like to see done on a coaster that hasn’t been done yet?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I believe Giovanola sorta suggested a multi-route coaster along with their (obviously) unproduced Tilt Coaster.

giovanola tilt.jpg

As you can see, Giovanola's shown model shows the tilt mechanism also turning the train 90°. The idea, not shown here, was to also offer a second route in the opposite direction.

Sounds very very prone to unreliability imo, but cool idea in paper at least. The main issue would be cost-for-track length. The client would pay almost twice as much for a regular coaster, for some track length that wouldn't be used optimally. But then again, maybe coaster engineers can come up with a solution that would creatively fix that...

Not necessarily a revolutionary idea, but I'd love to see Intamin apply their fast-switch set up to their pre-fab woodies. A semi-shuttle wooden coaster à la Switchtrack could mitigate the prohibitive upfront price of the Intamin wooden coaster with a fairly long ride experience but using less track length. Intamin seems quite keen on compact, budget-friendly design these days, so perhaps this approach could also ressurect their wooden product.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Vertical launch
There's actually already some of these! Wicked at Lagoon and the upcoming Storm in Dubai Hills Mall particularly come to mind.

Personally, I'm not the most creative sort when it comes to new ideas, but I've always wanted to see a story-driven, Intamin Multi-Dimensional Coaster (Th13teen, Movie Park Studios, etc.) mixed with an Intamin Motorbike (Hagrids) - featuring elements like a turntable, drop track, spike, launches and a lift hill, all in the same ride. I know it sounds similar to a Dynamic Attractions SFX Coaster, but it'd be fantastic to see a layout with longer 'raw coaster' sections than an SFX Coaster.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Duelling Bobkarts. Imagine Toverland's Blitz Bahn but with 2, 3 or more racing or duelling tracks.
Gavin or HeartlineCoaster will probably chip in any moment with numerous Chinese examples of exactly that, but as far as I'm aware no such thing exists in the Western world.
Be cool though.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Erm so you know those things that spin people on multiple axis... often called Aerotrims, multi axis trainer or human gyroscopes...

These...

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeh.... Strap a few of them to a coaster...

...Of course, you wouldn't be able to do much with the layout, as the amount of g's required to kill somebody would depend which way they're facing... But it sure would be one hell of a gimmick!

Back in the real world, where rollercoasters don't try to kill you, nash excepted, I'd like to see what Hipster posted explored... Maybe not with a tilt track.... but lots of transfer tracks at various points along multiple routes set to act randomly (or at least appearing so, safety first) so that you have many many layout possibilities, and the rider never knows what he/she will get.... Sounds cool.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
-SBF spinner with self-rotating seats on the end similar to Lightning 360. Concept Art
-Tilt track that tilts to face you upwards, then sends you backwards. Great opportunity for a fake-out. Concept Art
Your first one would have to be a very mellow layout, like the one I posted, because you cannot push high positives anywhere, if there's a chance the rider will be orientated the other way / upside down....

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Duelling Bobkarts. Imagine Toverland's Blitz Bahn but with 2, 3 or more racing or duelling tracks.
Gavin or HeartlineCoaster will probably chip in any moment with numerous Chinese examples of exactly that, but as far as I'm aware no such thing exists in the Western world.
Be cool though.
Nagashima Spa Land has this. It sucks.

I agree though, could be awesome if done right.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Erm so you know those things that spin people on multiple axis... often called Aerotrims, multi axis trainer or human gyroscopes...

These...

View attachment 14486

Yeh.... Strap a few of them to a coaster...

...Of course, you wouldn't be able to do much with the layout, as the amount of g's required to kill somebody would depend which way they're facing... But it sure would be one hell of a gimmick!

Back in the real world, where rollercoasters don't try to kill you, nash excepted, I'd like to see what Hipster posted explored... Maybe not with a tilt track.... but lots of transfer tracks at various points along multiple routes set to act randomly (or at least appearing so, safety first) so that you have many many layout possibilities, and the rider never knows what he/she will get.... Sounds cool.
They had them on the prom in Blackpool back in the early seventies, Gyro spinners if I recall correctly.
I had a full spin in all three directions for three minutes.
Couldn't walk straight for about an hour after.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
They had them on the prom in Blackpool back in the early seventies, Gyro spinners if I recall correctly.
I had a full spin in all three directions for three minutes.
Couldn't walk straight for about an hour after.

They still had one on the pier in the early 2000's. Yeah, gross, had to sit down for about 15mins afterwards.
Borrill's idea of sticking one on a coaster track is pure madness!

rob666

Hyper Poster
You could always bolt out any single plane of rotation to return a seat to a "regular" coaster...
"How would you like your spinning coaster today sir?"

Sandman

Giga Poster
Since there is such thing as a drop track, how about a shot track.

Perhaps the track itself would not be launched up, instead there could be a way in which individual coaster cars engage to a 'shot tower' so to speak.

Probably a technical nightmare which is why Intamin would love it. In my weird imagination where budget and feasibility don't exist, I'd incorporate this design into a heavily themed indoor coaster. The shot tower section would come in at the end and would be a seamless transition so as to not ruin the pace.

Matt N

CF Legend
Since there is such thing as a drop track, how about a shot track.

Perhaps the track itself would not be launched up, instead there could be a way in which individual coaster cars engage to a 'shot tower' so to speak.

Probably a technical nightmare which is why Intamin would love it. In my weird imagination where budget and feasibility don't exist, I'd incorporate this design into a heavily themed indoor coaster. The shot tower section would come in at the end and would be a seamless transition so as to not ruin the pace.
In a sense, I guess what you’re describing is kind of like an elevator lift, but very fast, so it might not be as much of a nightmare as you expect!

Matt N

CF Legend
I'd like to see an extreme powered coaster using lsm-technology all along the track. You'd always experience the exact forces the designer wants you to, it could have multiple ride programs and it would allow for unseen layouts.

hi all btw.✌️
Welcome to the forums @NiklasP; hope you enjoy yourself here!

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
This whole thing actually reminds me of a theme park I imagined in my head when I was around 11-12, called "RockLand". All of the flats and coasters had two modes: the standard mode, and what pre-teen me called 'The Modify'.

The Modify was essentially a small poke at the ride system to make your seat provide a more intense experience. Admittedly I wasn't creative with my Modifys: for example on the top spin in the imaginary park, the Modify was a retractable floor so your feet were dangling. Another ride's Modify was replacing the OTSR with a lap bar.

This whole thing is a horribly unrealistic technical apocalypse along with the whole rest of the imaginary park but at the time I didn't care.

In a way I still think it's cool; perhaps more parks could take on the "SBF Hamster Wheel" way of things where half the seats of a ride or coaster provide a wildly different experience.

hyde666

Roller Poster
Not sure if this would be considered a new concept or not, but I have had this dream a couple of times of a giga wooden coaster with small trains- like 6 or 8 people per train; at most 12. Three lift hills (150ft drop, 300ft drop, and 100ft drop in that order), over a mile(or two?) of track length, many airtime hills, and a massive zero-g stall after the first drop. I am trying to make this coaster in PlanCo at the moment- I just wish it was real. (Oh! And there is a long, dark tunnel after the 300ft drop. You don't know it's 300ft from a distance because it goes under the surface.) I think my inner head's coaster is a mix of a bunch of coaster elements I seem to like. (and wooden, because I like El Toro way too much haha)