What's new

New coaster concepts that you think would be cool

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
I'd like to see an extreme powered coaster using lsm-technology all along the track. You'd always experience the exact forces the designer wants you to, it could have multiple ride programs and it would allow for unseen layouts.

hi all btw.✌️

Have wanted this myself for a while. Could make for a great racing themed coaster, possibly alongside a real racetrack going at race speeds. Ring Racer Reborn....

Can imagine the energy usage would be huge though to maintain the required speeds

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I seem to remember an interview from one John Wardley where he suggested that an original plan for SW7 (eventually Smiler) was a "choose your own seating configuration" type coaster. The idea was that before boarding, you could choose one of a variety of different ways for your seat (sit down, stand up, etc), and then your corresponding seat would match your choice. It all sounded very much like a blue sky idea, and even now I'm not sure if this interview even exists, whether it was said as a joke, or what.

But yeah, the concept at its purest sounds interesting and novel. I'm sure overly complicated to near-on impossible. And I'm sure such a ride wouldn't be particularly enjoyable. But still, would look nice.

I agree with MattN about the idea of a multi route coaster would be really cool. Sort of like Symbolica meets a coaster maybe, where a car follows the same core circuit, but every first car takes 'Route 1', every second 'Route 2', every third 'Route 3'. There would be minor difference, but as an indoor coaster, there's potential for something really cool.

On a similar (maybe more realistic) note, what about a duelling coaster where the trains share the same station? So after the station, there's two switch tracks; each train rolls onto one, and they switch to different tracks.
See my beautiful PowerPoint mock up with Comic Sans et al....
1636988968434.png

Could be a pretty cool visual if nothing else. But I I imagine still a technical nightmare.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
I agree with MattN about the idea of a multi route coaster would be really cool. Sort of like Symbolica meets a coaster maybe, where a car follows the same core circuit, but every first car takes 'Route 1', every second 'Route 2', every third 'Route 3'. There would be minor difference, but as an indoor coaster, there's potential for something really cool.

I think it was previously mentioned that Gianvanilla were planning on creating this concept, but no parks wanted in on it due to the costs of essentially paying for 2 lots of rollercoaster track for 1 attraction.

First time I rode Winjas, after the bit that tips you on the side, I thought 'how cool would this be if you didn't know which way you were gonna tilt, and each bit had a slightly different path' - could relink just before the final trick track. Very small portion of a ride - one way might just have the standard helix & bunny hop hill, and the other may have some sort of drop track, and would add a fun element to it. The dynamic attractions dark ride coaster concept could probably achieve something similar with its turntable element too. I think after a while the novelty of it may wear off, but would be an amusing conversation to ask people what they thought of 'that bit', and they have absolutely no idea what you're on about..

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Worth checking out this: https://rcdb.com/4245.htm

It's a neat idea, and I can see what they were going for, but as a coaster it's ****ing turd.
And wasn't there a German coaster along some kinda race track? That like, launched really fast? :p

Honestly I feel like my wild and zany ideas from being a kid playing RCT have already been weirdly realized:

• Sit-Down/Inverted Roller coaster running parallel? Check.
  • Launch lifts? Check.
  • Convert Stand-up Coasters to Floorless? Check.
  • 200 ft. all the things? Check.
So, to keep laying on and agreeing with other great ideas thrown down here, I humbly submit:
  • More splashdowns - Not the mega drencher kind, but fun interweaving of water to both use as water brake and fun feature add - think Matterhorn Bobsleds.
  • Giga all the things - 10-15 years ago, 200 ft. felt like such an accomplishment for a coaster, and now it's a footnote. I feel a continued push to more coaster types breaking Giga status would add in variety and excitement for virtually all coaster types.
  • THE CANTILEVERED COASTER! While a borderline meme in the early 2000s (see link), themed coasters are continuing to hit ever more of a stride. The concept of Cantilevered Coaster designs stands, and adds a literal additional axis to play with for themed rides. Let's make the magic happen.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I dont see why you couldnt do a multi track coaster.
OK maybe the Giovanola approach was a bit costly for the reason that yes you are building 2 full layouts.

But really, I think you could do something more eurofighter or wild mouse sized where perhaps its the last quarter of the track that changes, one side gets a loop and helix, the other side gets a corkscrew and hill or something along those lines.
If it was a turntable, one route could be fowards the other could be backwards.

It's still a cost premium for the gimmick, but its an easy worlds first.

So my idea is taking something like the new Vekoma flying coaster and crossing it with the rotation control of the omni coaster (guardians of the galaxy) and doing more with it along the lines of a dark ride.
Theoretically you could have scenes facing downwards, facing the roof, travelling sideways. You could stop in front of a screen and have a flying theatre sequence with subtle rotation of the seat. If you bank the track you can tilt the seats forwards and back like on the harry potter ride, but without the need for robotic arms.

But the grand finale would be vertical track with the seats rotated so you freefall.

Attachments

• budget harry potter 19.jpg
    budget harry potter 19.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 39
  • budget harry potter 3.jpg
    budget harry potter 3.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 37
  • budget harry potter 11.jpg
    budget harry potter 11.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 36

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I dont see why you couldnt do a multi track coaster.
OK maybe the Giovanola approach was a bit costly for the reason that yes you are building 2 full layouts.

But really, I think you could do something more eurofighter or wild mouse sized where perhaps its the last quarter of the track that changes, one side gets a loop and helix, the other side gets a corkscrew and hill or something along those lines.
If it was a turntable, one route could be fowards the other could be backwards.

It's still a cost premium for the gimmick, but its an easy worlds first.
I guess to a cerrain extent this has been done just not in such an obvious way.

RUssian Tornado2.png

This old Russian ride called Tornado had a track switch that allowed the ride to either have a loop or not have a loop. However I suspect as this was way back 1970s the switch would have to be changed at the start of the day and stay that way so its not quite what you mean, but at a precursor to the concept perhaps.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
So my idea is taking something like the new Vekoma flying coaster and crossing it with the rotation control of the omni coaster (guardians of the galaxy) and doing more with it along the lines of a dark ride.
Theoretically you could have scenes facing downwards, facing the roof, travelling sideways. You could stop in front of a screen and have a flying theatre sequence with subtle rotation of the seat. If you bank the track you can tilt the seats forwards and back like on the harry potter ride, but without the need for robotic arms.

But the grand finale would be vertical track with the seats rotated so you freefall.

I absolutely love this idea! Did you come up with it?
I've thought about incorporating a drop tower experience into a coaster (or the other way around) for a long time in various different ways, but this is the coolest solution yet!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I guess to a cerrain extent this has been done just not in such an obvious way.

View attachment 14631

This old Russian ride called Tornado had a track switch that allowed the ride to either have a loop or not have a loop. However I suspect as this was way back 1970s the switch would have to be changed at the start of the day and stay that way so its not quite what you mean, but at a precursor to the concept perhaps.
Am I imagining things, or where there some pictures of this somewhere?