What's new

New attractions at Paultons Park

As someone who’s never visited Paulton’s I can’t really visualize a Power Loop there, so we’ll have to see. Isn’t really wide appeal, even among thrill coasters.

In terms of one theoretically emerging for 2026 there’s a few contenders out there. Everything seems to indicate that Freizeitpark Plohn will receive a Mack water coaster of some kind, although given the product and leaked pitch I think we’d be hard-pressed to see the Power Loop happen. There also exists the incredibly valid possibility that Cedar Point will receive a Mack water coaster in 2026, given that corporate has been proven to have had extensive conversations about it and signed off on something for the park. Snake River Falls is gone for future expansion now but again I personally don’t think it’s more likely than a proper water coaster layout.

Then again Paultons could to have been considering one, given that the planning doc awhile ago used an Intamin water coaster in the cover. I wouldn’t be surprised if Paultons did something similar, but a Power Loop at a family park (even an ambitious one at that) is quite frankly ludicrous.

Here's a thought I've had about the Vikings Attraction that is stupid in some ways (I don't even like the ride type), but also weirdly makes sense in some ways so I thought I'd share it:
Could the new coaster be a Power Loop?
+ would fill two big gaps in the current lineup (launch coaster and major water ride)
+ Paultons seems to be happy with Mack, ordering the second mack product in a span of 5 years with ghostly manor
+ they should have the space for it (?)
+ could fit the vikings theme quite well
+ fits the vikings announcement clip pretty well (taking an existing thing and inverting it)
+ even sort of fits that Lawrence Mancey tweet (RMC makes existing coasters more extreme and adds inversions, the same would be done with a water coaster) (I do realize that tweet ist most likely completely meaningless)
(+ i've heard a rumor that Mack has sold the first Power Loop for the 2026 season, wasn't from any sort of credible source though, so not be be given any importance)
Surely it would be too similar to Edge?

I'm pretty sure that any potential New for 2026 rollercoaster would be considered as the park's most popular rollercoaster so they'd likely need something where capacity is similar to Storm Chaser if not higher.

I don't think a shuttle coaster with one train is doable even with a turntable station.

It'll be a different matter if it's a 2nd coaster but I think we're more likely to see a regular Water Coaster or a SuperSplash than a PowerLoop or a PowerSplash if the park went for a Water Coaster.

I can see a water coaster fitting in very well at Paultons but I wouldn't put any stock into the image that was used on the planning material - Lawrence Mancey said in the recent interview he did with lift hills and thrills on youtube that it was literally just a stock image that an external planning agency used for their document.

I don't know the dimensions of a Power Loop, but my instinct is it's too tall for the park. I must admit though, there's no reason that Mack couldn't design a smaller version of the Power Splash for them. It would be a coaster and water ride in one, and personally, I do think it would be high-capacity enough with a turntable.

However, I hope it's not. If Paultons gets a water ride, I would hope it has a lot more adventure to it, with tunnels and dark ride scenes.

Pulsar has a theoretical capacity of 950pph. That would be the second highest on park for major rides. In that sense, it's more than suitable.

Whether that's the route they'd go down I'm unsure, and it would also be a very expensive ride to run, but it would very easily be a ride that could handle the crowds.

However, I hope it's not. If Paultons gets a water ride, I would hope it has a lot more adventure to it, with tunnels and dark ride scenes.
I would completely agree with this, I think Paultons would smash it if they did a water ride that is well themed.

Something like Chiapas would be one of the most popular rides there. I'd say similar if they did the rapids with a splashdown like Infinity Falls.

Pulsar has a theoretical capacity of 950pph. That would be the second highest on park for major rides. In that sense, it's more than suitable.

Whether that's the route they'd go down I'm unsure, and it would also be a very expensive ride to run, but it would very easily be a ride that could handle the crowds.
It could be work if it has the turntable and two trains. I'm thinking if it happens, it won't be the main coaster but more of a supporting coaster.

I'm not really sure it'd be the right coaster to go for as the headliner if the park are looking for their first extreme coaster and potentially their signature ride for years to come.

I'm thinking their main coaster would be something with a higher capacity (1200 pph plus) and I don't think a shuttle coaster as their main signature coaster would be quite right (Chessington did and they had concerns about capacity initially which resulted in a virtual queue during it's first session).

I'm thinking their main coaster would be something with a higher capacity (1200 pph plus) and I don't think a shuttle coaster as their main signature coaster would be quite right (Chessington did and they had concerns about capacity initially which resulted in a virtual queue during it's first session).

1200pph plus?

I just don't see the need for something with that throughput at Paulton's?
Even at the height of summer, do any of their bigger rides get a queue above an hour, for example? And most of those have theoretical throughputs around 600pph. A big, headline coaster needs a higher throughput than that, yes, but I think 1200 is just unnecessary. Look through the Top 20 most visited parks in Europe, according to TEA. How many of those have major rides with theoretical throughputs of 1200pph+? Not that many. And frankly, Paultons aren't at that level of attendance, and likely won't be any time soon.

For avoidance of doubt: I'm not saying the park shouldn't get a ride with 1200pph throughput. I'm just saying it's not a necessary requirement.

It could be work if it has the turntable and two trains. I'm thinking if it happens, it won't be the main coaster but more of a supporting coaster.
I think this is just unrealistic thinking, frankly.

Pulsar had a slated investment cost of 8.5 million euros, back in 2016. With inflation and the general cost of manufacturing increasing, a price for a similar ride will probably cost similar. Spending that much on a supporting coaster for a new area, when there would also be another new coaster, is just not realistic for Paultons. They spent like £12 million on the whole of Tornado Springs.

Honestly, I don't know whether they'd go down that route for an investment anyway. I'd be surprised if they did. But if they do, it would be the big thing

1200pph plus?

I just don't see the need for something with that throughput at Paulton's?
Even at the height of summer, do any of their bigger rides get a queue above an hour, for example? And most of those have theoretical throughputs around 600pph. A big, headline coaster needs a higher throughput than that, yes, but I think 1200 is just unnecessary. Look through the Top 20 most visited parks in Europe, according to TEA. How many of those have major rides with theoretical throughputs of 1200pph+? Not that many. And frankly, Paultons aren't at that level of attendance, and likely won't be any time soon.

For avoidance of doubt: I'm not saying the park shouldn't get a ride with 1200pph throughput. I'm just saying it's not a necessary requirement.

I think this is just unrealistic thinking, frankly.

Pulsar had a slated investment cost of 8.5 million euros, back in 2016. With inflation and the general cost of manufacturing increasing, a price for a similar ride will probably cost similar. Spending that much on a supporting coaster for a new area, when there would also be another new coaster, is just not realistic for Paultons. They spent like £12 million on the whole of Tornado Springs.

Honestly, I don't know whether they'd go down that route for an investment anyway. I'd be surprised if they did. But if they do, it would be the big thing
I completely agree that a Mack PowerSplash would be unrealistic either way.

With the park thinking long term, I wouldn't be surprised if it is at similar or higher capacity than Storm Chaser (that's 1000 pph on two trains).

I think that new signature coaster will attract more visitors than ever before and retain visitors that would've ordinarily have grown out of the park.

Lets say they did go for a water coaster the UK does need one, but if i had to vote for one i would go for a Mack Rocking Boat.

Mission Bermuda going to Futuroscope looks not only to have a decent drop but also some great theming with a unique ride system of the rocking boat. I think this would be a great fit at Paultons.

(Im still hoping for a family multi launch though)

img_2030.jpg
image_0670346_20220122_ob_40bc2c_2.jpeg

I'd be happy with just a really good log flume.

Do we even have a good one in the UK now? Loggers Leap was my favourite and that's long gone, Alton has lost theirs, Oakwoods is pretty dire, I think Yarmouth has just lost theirs. Does Blackpool have one (I honestly can't remember).
Chessington still have theirs but somewhat neutered.

I decent well themed modern flume would be lovely.

I'd be happy with just a really good log flume.

Do we even have a good one in the UK now? Loggers Leap was my favourite and that's long gone, Alton has lost theirs, Oakwoods is pretty dire, I think Yarmouth has just lost theirs. Does Blackpool have one (I honestly can't remember).
Chessington still have theirs but somewhat neutered.

I decent well themed modern flume would be lovely.
Valhalla and Stormforce 10 are two of the best Flumes in the UK and they're more action packed compared to other ones that we've had.

I personally would be satisfied with something like that.

Unfortunately that is a trend in the UK that appears to be going on at the moment and may have been accelerated by the removals at Merlin parks. Paultons has a chance to buck the trend and do what Phantasialand did which I am optimistic on.

This trend seems to have spread onto the rapids rides and we may or may not be seeing removals of most UK rapids rides in the near future.

To be positive, I can imagine there being a Flume Renaissance in the next few years if all goes well.

Is Valhalla not considered a log flume?

Considering Paultons just built a small log flume i'd be surprised if they'd add another so soon. The departing one didn't seem particularly popular whenever i visited.
I don't think we'll ever know, the classic Raging River Log Flume closed quite soon after Splash Lagoon opened (likely due to a technical fault that needed significant work and the ride being planned to go anyway either at the end of 2024 or 2025) and didn't operate during peak summer season. I also believe it had reasonably high capacity so it always appeared to have a reasonable queue.

I would say if they did add another flume, it would be more action packed like Stormforce 10, Chiapas or Biberburg or a Shoot the Chute.

I believe something bigger can and should co-exist with Splash Canyon though. Chessington seem to do it well with Tiger Rock and River Rafts and Drayton Manor do it with Stormforce 10 and Submarine Splash.

I believe Splash Canyon fits as the River Rafts of the line up and their headline flume or water ride will be joining that sooner than later.

Is Valhalla not considered a log flume?

Considering Paultons just built a small log flume i'd be surprised if they'd add another so soon. The departing one didn't seem particularly popular whenever i visited.
Forgot about storm force. Yeah that's decent.

Also forgot about Valhalla. I suppose Valhalla is a flume but It's certainly not what I'd call a classic flume like the others.

I agree with those who call for a simple flume like Chiapas. Whilst I don't mourn the loss of the old ones, the newer ones have several advantages:

• Side-by-side seating
  • Adjustable splash
  • Filtered water as standard

More to my taste, however, would be a scenic boat ride - "Vikings of the New Forest". ;) Paultons doesn't have anything the whole family can ride in that southern part of the park. A gentle boat ride with some tunnels and animatronics would be just the thing.

Combine that with a woodie, multi-launched hybrid or single rail and it'd be perfect. Something for everyone.

I agree with those who call for a simple flume like Chiapas. Whilst I don't mourn the loss of the old ones, the newer ones have several advantages:

• Side-by-side seating
  • Adjustable splash
  • Filtered water as standard

More to my taste, however, would be a scenic boat ride - "Vikings of the New Forest". ;) Paultons doesn't have anything the whole family can ride in that southern part of the park. A gentle boat ride with some tunnels and animatronics would be just the thing.

Combine that with a woodie, multi-launched hybrid or single rail and it'd be perfect. Something for everyone.
I said in my video this week something like a modern Excalibur (Drayton Manor) or Merlin's Quest (Toverland) would be excellent for the area.

A narrator telling the story, a potential dark ride element, theming and animatronics...