What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I think it's really interesting that people are claiming the drop experience differs so much from Extremis. It really goes to show what a difference perception makes.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Ohh dear, it really sounds like they've messed this up. I was looking toward to something that was not necessarily intense, but that was a quality filler and with a decent plot. Sounds like it's an insult to the Nemesis name

T0M

Hyper Poster
The one in London looks taller than the one in both videos, but I could be wrong.

As for the difference in force, I'm no expert in physics but I understand that the weight will have an effect. London's Extremis is doubled sided and therefore twice the weight. The under-foot loading panel on the Sub-Terra ones will also increase surface area for area resistance perhaps?

Blackpool's Extremis is the same, a single sided 10-seater and when I rode it was only half full, it felt like it slightly floated down as opposed to London's fierce jerk.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yes, sorry to say, you are wrong, they're ALL 6m in height. Every one of the towers is 6m, but the actual operating height is around 5m (from what I understood).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Joey said:
I think it's really interesting that people are claiming the drop experience differs so much from Extremis. It really goes to show what a difference perception makes.

I think it's interesting that, while you're not coming out and saying it, you're desperately trying not to be disappointed and are really hoping the ride is much better than we are all saying ;) You're really hoping we're just all idiots :lol:

Colossus

Giga Poster
I`m only going to the towers once this year, so reading all your reviews on the ride, I think i`ll probably postpone this until at least next year, there`s enough bad reviews here for me to believe what your saying, I don`t deem it necessary to get my opinion just yet. It will come down to when I go, I put in for the free tickets with The Sun, so my date of visit will be dictated to me, if its any day remotely busy, then I`m going to treat this ride like it don`t exist and do what I normally do at Alton and whore Nemesis, Air and Oblivion all day.

Lofty

CF Legend
Tom G said:
Thanks and the actual freefall drop (before the brakes) probably less than 4m?
Yes.

The "Car" stops somewhere around 1m above the ground, hence what I said about "Operational". So, my guess is, by viewing the videos & being on Extremis, the actual "Drop" is only 2-3m. Allowing for 2/3m breaking and 1m "stationary" position.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Tom G said:
Is anyone any expert in physics that can explain how weight affects drop force?

If it's freefall then theortetically it doesn't, as everything experiences the force due to gravity independent of mass.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^If you mean braking force then yes you will need a larger braking force to stop a heavier object (I thought you meant g-force). If you have a larger weight (=mg) it will have more kinetic energy (=(mv^2)/2), meaning the braking section will need to be longer. This is because this energy needs to be dissipated, where energy = Fx (F = braking force and x = distance from applying the brakes to stopping).

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Typically, I enjoyed it today and went on it 3 times in total...

Whether or not the 'extra' effects that weren't apparently working on the weekend I don't know, but I enjoyed the queue line tvs, the staff acting well, the internal theme, the drop, the silliness that was the exit lift... It was all fun and I came off each time with a smile on my face...

It's not perfect, and it seems that they are still editing this that and the other (a fair amount of people seem to not understand the backstory to the ride, which is fair enough), but it definitely has the ability to absolutely terrorise some people, regardless of their demeanour when they exit the second lift...

It'll find a niche I reckon, though will be interesting to ride it with my uni friends as they will defo have no idea as to what will happen... Either way, it's a decent addition...

Regarding the shortness of it, it's a tricky issue for Towers to balance, make the experience longer and reduce the throughput (which is a decent 800pph)...

It's very wham bam thankyou ma'am, but if it lacked that, people might get bored and the point of the attraction lost...

It's not brilliant, but at least it's not Charlie...

T0M

Hyper Poster
Brookes said:
^If you mean braking force then yes you will need a larger braking force to stop a heavier object (I thought you meant g-force). If you have a larger weight (=mg) it will have more kinetic energy (=(mv^2)/2), meaning the braking section will need to be longer. This is because this energy needs to be dissipated, where energy = Fx (F = braking force and x = distance from applying the brakes to stopping).

No I meant that Extremis seems to stop quicker and freefall for longer.

Sub-Terra, from that video, seems to freefall for a very short distance indeed and then be gently lowered to the floor for longer than Extremis.

T0M

Hyper Poster
OK, cool. I wonder how much Merlin are capable of buying them for? They must have some sort of deal in place with ABC by now!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yes, ok, so there are anomalies with CF moderating but that's life I'm afraid. I'm sorry if anybody lost sleep over it.

Anyway, let's get back to this.

So far I've read two positive reviews, about 3 meh reviews and about five negative reviews. It's got "anion" written all over it. Can't wait to make my own mind up later this year. In the meantime, keep on bitchin'! (But not about whether this should have been in the construction forum or not.)