• Country/Folk

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Pop

Votes: 7 15.9%

• Total voters

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Electronic can go and shoot itself, and while it does that it should take out dubstep and autotune. The two inbred cousins need to go away.

I agree, dubstep is just screeching sh*t and autotune just destroys the whole "Talent" side of music.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Question; what do you think of screaming/shouting in music? It's normally a love/hate element in the world of music.

Personally I love it when it's used passionately like on:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3YniYLxX0[/youtube]

But not so much on crap like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJJrIQsCTcQ&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
I like all music, but if told to choose, I'm picking Metal or Rock... You Me At Six, playing loud at the moment, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, All Time Low, Brokencyde, Hollywood Undead, Bless The Fall, Escape The Fate, Falling In Reverse :)
But if I go to a party or something, I know the words to the pop songs, and I don't mind dubstep and DnB :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I used to despise all screaming, then I became partial to some, but not most, and now I am pretty much at the point that as long as the screaming is only in the chorus, and the verses are sung, I listen to it.Some bands I just can't stand the screaming, but others the screaming has to mix well. Depends on the instrumentals that accompany it.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, little to do on a lonely Friday night, so here's my late-eve attempt at explaining my taste in music.

To sum it up to a few words, I like music that tells a story. Either outright telling a story word for word, or it plays on commom musical expressions to create an atmosphere. For example, if I ask you to put a sound to the words "tumbleweed", "gunslinger" and "dilligence", there's a good chance a certain theme pops up in your head:
The first few seconds of the theme of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

My taste is heavily influenced by nostalgia, I'll be the first to admit that. I like songs that brings forth memories of the past. I'm not sure what this says about my childhood, but I think that's the reason why I like game music so much. The "magical age" where your mind fills in the gap and tells the stories the game you played couldn't outright display. It's not like a movie either, because you proceed at your own pace. You do it in your own tempo. The games allow you to stop, pause if necessary and listen. To take in all the impressions. You sort of create your own story when playing. And for me, the music helps me remember those stories.

An example: This 8-bit melody is one of the sweetest I know. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0G12EBW4KY The melody played on Route 1 in the first Pokémon games. Makes me remember the time when the games were new to me, everything was a mystery and the game seemed to contain an immense and varied world. Of course, it's nothing compared to newer games, some of which it would be impossible for a human being to explore even if he dedicated his entire life to it, but to eight-year-old me, this was truly gigantic and awesomely fun. Songs in the same category are Portal's modern classic Still Alive, which makes you live through the Enrichment Centre all over again, or the Super Mario Bros. theme, which tells of an uncomplicated world where a plumber can save the princess on his own. It's a simple game, no complicated backstory or any weird plot twists, it's just a game. The sun is shining (or doing its best to kill you, that varies), the dark and creepy houses are haunted, the deserts are big and dry an inexplicably full of obstacles and enemies, but it all feels right somehow.

Other songs just stir the imagination. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43IPAGw01IY This is the Song of Storms, AKA "Windmill Hut" from the Legend of Zelda series. Melody-wise, it's not the most complex theme out there, but I still like it. It virtually puts me below deck on a ship sailing in rough seas. The wind is roaring outside, the floor is rocking back and forth, but the captain has sailed in such weather many times before, and for some reason, it feels certain that the ship will make it through it just fine. Better-known examples can be the Imperial March (can't you picture the arrow-straight ranks of Stormtroopers marching out to the battlefield? Feel the sense of grandeur and power as the white-clad soldiers, their numbers in the millions, advance on their enemy?), or the Indiana Jones theme (did anybody say "adventure"?). A credit to all the movies whose soundtrack really captures the scenes and make the listener play them over again in their head when they hear it.

This is why I don't like love songs, I suppose. The concept has been done to death and back, and while I know they're meant to express emotions and feelings and all that, I just think "Again?!?" when I hear one. They just fit nicely into the line, or to use another metapor, the (current) top of the pile. I'd much rather listen to a pointless, but consise, song about a random car trip than another "You and me, me and you, forever and always and this totally doesn't end in a breakup" song. I mean, take ANY list of music of mixed genres and count how many of them are about love. Chances are the percentage is somewhere in the nineties.
Party songs are a genre for themselves. I'm not one of the "technical" guys who can really appreciate a good bassline or the sound of each instrument, nor have I ever been drunk enough to appreciate the atmosphere they create when the song is played with a deafening volume.

To sum it up, I guess it's all about tying memories to the music. Either by creating the memories through the music, or capturing the music along with the memories. I can totally listen to songs I used to find crap, just because they were played all the time in the military, and I have many fond memories from that time.
(yeah, tl;dr)

jayjay

Giga Poster
Pokemaniac said:
To sum it up, I guess it's all about tying memories to the music. Either by creating the memories through the music, or capturing the music along with the memories. I can totally listen to songs I used to find crap...
I can completely relate to this actually. One of my favourite albums (Hopes and Fears by Keane) is the one that was the first album I owned and the first band I properly became a fan of. Since then, I've gone through several favourite bands, but the nostalgic one always continues to shine through. Similarly, if I was listening to a particular song at a significant point in my life, or I can relate it to some happy memory, an awful song can become a favourite. Case in point, "Back in Time" (Keane again), objectively isn't very good, but I was listening to that album the morning of moving into uni for the first time. And now I like it.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
My picture says it all Five Finger Death Punch is my favourite band, but my favourite song is not by them. Its 4 Words To Choke Upon by Bullet For My Valentine. I'm a drummer so I try to find music that has some kick ass beats to it (cough...real beats not computer techno). Any form of Metal or Rock i'm into.

I don't mind playing to some swing, jazz or latin music, but i wouldn't listen to it. I play it purely for the drumming. A can't stand country music, or any modern pop music. Rap is ok if it's done right.

I love assemble pieces as well, mainly movie soundtracks. Anything by composer Hans Zimmer is amazing.

DDF14

Mega Poster
Why no Blues option?
I love

Blues , Rock , Metal , Jazz , Funk , Classical , Indie , Electro , D&B , Garage (old) , Folk , Swing , Country

Just anything but our current chart music / R&B ("Ripped of & Boring" / "Repetative & Boring" as in all songs sound the same rather than a repetative beat) I think it sounds awful, its just self promoting nonsense that has no purpose, tells no real story, does not open your mind and certainly cant teach you anything. There is no talent in there what so ever.

Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac have a special place in my heart because of the stories behind the music from the Sid Barret and Peter Green sagas to the Fleetwood love triangle.

I have fallen in love with Blues music in particular though I am not genre defined as you can see from my list.

Peter Green has a very special place in my life not only do i think he is the greatest blues guitarist but he also founded fleetwood mac , became huge star , gave away most of his money to charities and then lost his mind, gave away his guitar to Gary Moore, found his place in the world again and now plays just as sweet as before..

Peter Green inspired B. B. King to say, "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard; he was the only one who gave me the cold sweats." Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page have both lauded his guitar playing. Green's playing is marked with idiomatic string bending and vibrato and economy of style. Though he played other guitars, he is best known for deriving a unique tone from his 1959 Gibson Les Paul with reverse pick ups and was later owned by Gary Moore.

Many rock guitarists have cited Peter Green as an influence, most notably Gary Moore, Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry, Steve Hackett, and Wishbone Ash guitarist Andy Powell. Green was Black Crowes' Rich Robinson's pick in Guitar World's "30 on 30: The Greatest Guitarists Picked by the Greatest Guitarists" (2010) In the same article Robinson cites Jimmy Page, with whom the Crowes toured: "...he told us so many Peter Green stories. It was clear that Jimmy loves the man’s talent."

jayjay

Giga Poster
Josh73 said:
Can't there be an instrumental option? 'Cuz that's my favorite.
Instrumental can apply to any genre of music. Rock, classical, blues, jazz etc.

Edit: I suppose if you define instrumental as "music without lyrics" like I do, then you could add electronic and dance and stuff.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Personally I've been listening to the classic music. From Queen to the Eagles to Billy Joel to Simon and Garfunkel to Steely Dan and repeat :)

Kebab

Giga Poster
I love metal, but I do think metal is as bad/as good as the rap/pop music we hear today. Metalcore is awful in my opinion, and we've heard a lot of really bad 'metal' (what people class as metal) songs over the past several years.

Then again I do think you could similarly argue for hip-hop recently, people make it out to be a lot worse than it actually is. Kanye Wests 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' was a huge surprise, and I thought CunninLynguists 'Oneirology' was far better than any of the metal releases of 2011 (and as I said, I love metal) I'm sure you'd love that.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsFL17DvOIA&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Piece of **** art.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
There are so many metal genres. The stuff right now current metal bands are more screamo than anything. Kanye West great artist with a great new album. I should have been more specific with ''todays rap/pop''. People like these poppy female artists that all sound the same and anything or anyone with ''young money'' attached to it. I like more old school rap and metal as well. I'd rather listen to bands like Maiden, Sabbath, and Judas Priest than todays ''metal''.