What's new

Most Overrated Park you've been to?

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve seen Cedar Point mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and in terms of why some feel the coaster lineup is average or the park was underwhelming; I’ve never visited, but dare I say that the park might be, for lack of a better term, a victim of its own brilliance, in a sense?

By that, what I mean is; the park has so many coasters, and so many coasters perceived as world-class, that some coasters at the park might almost be brushed aside due to them being inferior to other coasters at the park, and Cedar Point almost looks like somewhere where world-class coasters are taken for granted by the park’s very nature. If it’s not at the very top end of that world-class barrier, it’s seemingly thought of as mediocre, and completely overshadowed within Cedar Point, while at any other park in the world, it would likely be a star attraction that people would love. For instance, I know that this is how many thought about Wicked Twister; from what I can tell, the general thought was that at most other parks in the world, that ride would have been brilliant, but it was completely overshadowed at Cedar Point. I feel like many of the park’s other coasters might be thought of more highly if they were plonked in any other park in the world, or at very least talked about more.

Of course, this is coming from someone who’s never visited. Would this be a fair thing to say about CP?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
^ As a straight-up ‘bombastic amusement park’, I presume Cedar Point lacks (from an enjoyment perspective) what many of the subtler European parks have: the ability to explore and discover it for yourself. You could spend half an hour on YouTube doing a POV run of Cedar Point’s ‘legendary rides’ and more or less get a good idea of the main draw from that alone.

Elsewhere, there is something intensely satisfying from the sensation of going out of your way to find something unusual or unconventional, particularly that which cannot be summarised by a ride POV, but instead is a general atmosphere.

Incidentally, I think a language barrier helps this feeling of intrigue and wonder tremendously as it helps carry that isolation from mundane reality (as to the ignorant ear, like mine, nobody is obviously chatting in the queue about house prices, weddings or Love Island). I’m not sure if I would have as favourable views of Europa or Efteling if they were just plonked in the UK.

Obviously, Cedar Point doesn’t get off the starting grid on these grounds - it’s a hardware park, through and through, and has an atmosphere that is drawn directly from that.

He says, having never visited Cedar Point (….for now 👀).

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I guess the reason for most of those being overrated to some people is because a large number of people DO love then, and speak about them highly.

I guess this is the thing, that's just the definition of overrated now isn't it?

Overrated is an over-used word these days I think, but really it just means "This is something I don't like as much as other people".

If everyone was to agree something was overrated, then who would be overrating it!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
You nailed it, @Matt N . Many of Cedar Points 'filler' attractions are actually pretty world class in their own right... it's just that Vengeance and Dragster happen to be in the same park.
Imagine Valravn at Thorpe Park. Fanboys would lose their sh*t.
Or Gatekeeper at Walibi Holland.
Or Maverick at Tripsdrill.
Or Millenium Force at Knoebels.
Or even Wicked Twister at Mingoland.
Star attractions all day long. But at Cedar Point? Yeah... filler.

I loved the place. Favourite park, no contest. It's a hardware park for sure, but I like that. There's plenty of room in the world for hardware parks, and CP is the best of the bunch. If I want immersive theming and narratives and fantasy music and all that stuff I can mince over to Europe.
That being said, Cedar Point is hardly ugly. It's not completely un-themed, everything is clean, nicely painted and landscaped, there's gardens, a stream, some farmyard animals and it's on its own beach (sort of). It's still a lovely, lovely place to be.
But for me, the huge machines, the bright lights, the pop music soundtracks and the ride hosts on their mics giving it "Wwwwelcome back riders. How. Was. Your. Riiiiide?"
"<riders go whoop whoop>"
That's the stuff you can't get in Europe, and it's what Cedar Point does best.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That being said, Cedar Point is hardly ugly. It's not completely un-themed, everything is clean, nicely painted and landscaped, there's gardens, a stream, some farmyard animals and it's on its own beach (sort of). It's still a lovely, lovely place to be.
But for me, the huge machines, the bright lights, the pop music soundtracks and the ride hosts on their mics giving it "Wwwwelcome back riders. How. Was. Your. Riiiiide?"
B. I. N. G. O.

Cedar Point is amazing, but in a different way than, say, Silver Dollar City or Europa Park. That view as your turn the corner on the little causeway up to the park is goosebump inducing.

I love it. <3

Indy

Hyper Poster
The reason why rides are often closed and vehicles are damaged is due to the quarry wall and it's winds, it shuts down a lot of the park, especially wonder woman and superman

That is certainly an interesting thought, but that is simply not the case for the visits I've had. The closures and disrepair I've experienced have had nothing to do with wind.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I guess the reason for most of those being overrated to some people is because a large number of people DO love then, and speak about them highly.
Don't hate the park. Hate the coaster. 😜

^ As a straight-up ‘bombastic amusement park’, I presume Cedar Point lacks (from an enjoyment perspective) what many of the subtler European parks have: the ability to explore and discover it for yourself. You could spend half an hour on YouTube doing a POV run of Cedar Point’s ‘legendary rides’ and more or less get a good idea of the main draw from that alone.
Are you describing Cedar Point, or every American Amusement Park?

You nailed it, @Matt N . Many of Cedar Points 'filler' attractions are actually pretty world class in their own right... it's just that Vengeance and Dragster happen to be in the same park.
Imagine Valravn at Thorpe Park. Fanboys would lose their sh*t.
Or Gatekeeper at Walibi Holland.
Or Maverick at Tripsdrill.
Or Millenium Force at Knoebels.
Or even Wicked Twister at Mingoland.
Star attractions all day long. But at Cedar Point? Yeah... filler.

I loved the place. Favourite park, no contest. It's a hardware park for sure, but I like that. There's plenty of room in the world for hardware parks, and CP is the best of the bunch. If I want immersive theming and narratives and fantasy music and all that stuff I can mince over to Europe.
Can't agree more - I promised myself to not come in to "defend" any specific parks, Cedar Point most of all as my home park and perpetual-fanboy-favorite.

But to play out the Cedar Point lineup, and connect to similar convo we had around how Six Flags tries to time their roller coaster additions as "biggest, best"... only to feel like they constantly miss the popularity wave (maybe it was @Pokemaniac or @roomraider in the SFGAdv Jersey Devil thread?); much of Cedar Point's lineup was "world record breaking" when built. And the lack of turnover makes it a challenge to feel the best for thrills, versus the best for "historic/all-round amusement park experience". The park is the second oldest in America afterall.

But a rundown of some of the "world record breakers":
1. Gemini - world's tallest, fastest
2. Corkscrew - most inversions, almost got the first vertical loop record (beat by SFMM Revolution by a few days)
3. GateKeeper - tallest, fastest wing coaster, world's tallest inversion
4. Valravn - tallest, fastest dive coaster, took the world's tallest inversion from Gatekeeper (ironically)
5. Magnum XL-200 - first hyper, tallest, fastest, blah
6. MF - first giga, etc.
7. TDD - you know the drill
8. Raptor - tallest, fastest invert
9. Mantis/Rougarou - tallest, fastest stand-up
10. Steel Vengeance - tallest, fastest RMC

And then you have 6 other coasters, 2 of which are kiddie creds, and a smattering sample.

When broken down this way, it sounds like a great lineup. But that maybe perpetuates the "park on a pedestal" complex, that causes the proverbial hype when going to the park. Similar complex can be said for other large-coaster count parks like SFGAdv, Canada's Wonderland, or SFMM.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
@Hyde - intentionally, Cedar Point. Unintentionally, perhaps others!

I absolutely love the idea of Cedar Point. Not sure I could possibly be disappointed with all the emotions I have attached to it (being a cancelled honeymoon destination). Going there feels like it will conclude a chapter of my life.

Hotel Breakers is booked. Here I come!!! 🤩🥳🥺

As someone who has always dreamed of going there, I can only imagine living in a world whereby you are underwhelmed by Cedar Point of all places! I think a recurring theme here is people building somewhere up beyond what it can possibly reach, is this going to happen to me when I eventually get to Ohio?:(

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
In hindsight, Animal Kingdom is a good shout. Maybe not ‘overrated’ but certainly ‘weak’.

I’ve just realised that when I’m due to be there this year, Expedition Everest is due to be closed. The ride itself is only ‘ok’ but fills out the lineup. Without that, the whole park becomes very weak in terms of things to do (if you have done them before).

Might not bother.

Matt N

CF Legend
In hindsight, Animal Kingdom is a good shout. Maybe not ‘overrated’ but certainly ‘weak’.

I’ve just realised that when I’m due to be there this year, Expedition Everest is due to be closed. The ride itself is only ‘ok’ but fills out the lineup. Without that, the whole park becomes very weak in terms of things to do (if you have done them before).

Might not bother.
Have you done Pandora? Even though I perhaps didn’t think Flight of Passage was an obscene, out of world experience like some do, I still liked it a lot, and the area is stunning!

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Have you done Pandora? Even though I perhaps didn’t think Flight of Passage was an obscene, out of world experience like some do, I still liked it a lot, and the area is stunning!
Yes - I've visited Pandora. Flight of Passage was great for the type of ride it was, but it remains a predominantly screen based attraction and it will therefore always have the limited exhilaration and charm of that medium, even if it took both to the next level.

As an aside, I rode with two family members, both adverse to thrill rides, that were intensely frightened of it for the whole build-up and ride-duration, which spoiled my own enjoyment throughout as I had to perpetually offer reassurance. After the torture, they both declared that it was their favourite ride ever.... well, thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it?! I do struggle to visit parks with adults that constantly fear the most tame of attractions, they take up too much energy. Maybe I needed to express this selfishness to allow my annoyance at these persons to dissipate... I carry more baggage than a jumbo jet.

The boat ride was enjoyable but would have been very underwhelming if I had queued for more than 30 minutes, let alone the 90 minute standby queue. Too many pointless screens.

I don't think 'Flight of Passage' and 'Dinosaur' alone are enough to warrant a visit. Maybe Mrs. Nitefly will insist on the basis of petting the goats...

In which case, I will ensure I make time for this literal (and unintentionally hilarious) '**** show':

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
In which case, I will ensure I make time for this literal (and unintentionally hilarious) '**** show':

We watched this, ahem, Kite of Passage show yesterday and I was absolutely crying with laughter. If demonic looking balloon characters crashing into walls is your thing, look no further!

With Everest closed, we ran out of stuff to do in the park fairly quickly. And that's even with me insisting we watch all the shows!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
What the buggery bollocks was that low budget crap? Why is it in a Disney park? That video is just concrete proof that Americans will whoop and cheer for absolutely any old s**te.

Magic-Man

Mega Poster
Busch Gardens Tampa. If you're not a fan of the animals, there's very little to do outside of the coasters. No dark rides, only one good flatride in Falcon's Fury, the water rides are merely okay. The Skyride being open would help things a lot. There's two different sections of the park where you can walk for ten minutes without hitting an adult ride. There's nothing to do in the rain (which is pretty much every day during the summer down here in Florida). The food is complete garbage and overpriced. Phoenix has been SBNO for years for no apparent reason, and it's in the best area of the park so it sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd much rather go to Universal or Dollywood any day of the week.