What's new

Most Overrated Park you've been to?

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
What is the most overrated park you've ever been to?

There are many choices, and it can vary from person to person depending on their day at the park, and if it was good or not.

So, what do you choose?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
It will be an unpopular pick, but for me one that comes to mind is Efteling. It has a charm and the rides do have character - I can’t knock that. But to me it lacks premium attractions and otherwise an abundance of attractions that would make it a ‘must do’ destination, compared to something like Europapark which (although lacking top tier rides) has far more things to do and a similar (albeit different) ‘European charm’, or something like Energylandia that brings it from a thrill perspective.

I enjoyed my (pre-Symbolica) visit, but there is nothing making me want to make a specific trip back there.

I did love the music in Spookslot though.

Dooo dooo, dooo dooo, do Jon-a-than Creek… 🎶

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
It will be an unpopular pick, but for me one that comes to mind is Efteling. It has a charm and the rides do have character - I can’t knock that. But to me it lacks premium attractions and otherwise an abundance of attractions that would make it a ‘must do’ destination, compared to something like Europapark which (although lacking top tier rides) has far more things to do and a similar (albeit different) ‘European charm’, or something like Energylandia that brings it from a thrill perspective.

I enjoyed my (pre-Symbolica) visit, but there is nothing making me want to make a specific trip back there.

I did love the music in Spookslot though.

Dooo dooo, dooo dooo, do Jon-a-than Creek… 🎶
interesting, I don't know too much about european parks but that's one of the ones I hear is the best.

Will

Strata Poster
I was tempted to say Efteling - but actually, Baron has really put the place on the map for me - if, God forbid, I ever meet 'someone special' that will be the first foreign park I take them to.

I know it might be because I've had two **** days there, but it will still be a while before I give Tivoli Gardens another chance.

I love Phantasialand, but certainly a few years back, it got a disproportionate amount of love on here.

Walibi World is an awful place which just happens to have Untamed and Lost Gravity. Basically, it's Thorpe.

Last edited:

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
In the us, by far the most overrated park is Dollywood. It has one good coaster, Lightning Rod (which ran terrible when I went there) 3 ok coasters, and the rest are either family coasters or dark ride coasters. the whole dolly parton stuff isn't really my thing, so I really came only for the coasters and they were pretty disappointing.

witchfinder

Giga Poster
Funnily enough Efteling was the first park to pop into my mind too. I really enjoyed the park and all the coasters are good, but I wouldn't say any are top-tier. I seem to be the only person on earth that found Symbolica a bit "meh" and I'm not really a fan of all that fairytale sh*t so while it was definitely a fun day out and the theming is superb, I do think it is a bit overrated and probably wouldn't go back unless they added a major cred.

With all that said though, that Raveleijn show was amazing!

Hershey has an incredible lineup but people go on about what a nice park it is and I truly think it's on par with some of the nicer Cedar Fair parks.

Dollywood is only half nice, the other half is concrete and I'm also not a massive fan of their lineup. I haven't been since Lightning Rod obviously but there's nothing else there I particularly like.

Liseberg is my last choice. Everything there was good, nothing was great except probably Balder, and the scenery didn't wow me.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
The Problem with hershey is that like dollywood, half of the park (chocolate town, the hollow, and pioneer frontier) is really nice, but the back of the park near lightning racer and the water park feels so outdated.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I never really thought Efteling was that highly regarded, personally.
Well, not on the same level as, say, Phantasialand, Europa & PA.

It's a tough call for me because I've enjoyed all of the 'highly rated' parks thoroughly.

Perhaps I'd have to go for Port Aventura.

Whilst I adore the expansive landscape and overall feel of the park, once you take out Shambhala, it is somewhat lacking on the decent coasters front. Also, no proper dark rides...and the thrill ride offering is considerably thin on the ground.

Funnily enough Efteling was the first park to pop into my mind too. I really enjoyed the park and all the coasters are good, but I wouldn't say any are top-tier. I seem to be the only person on earth that found Symbolica a bit "meh" and I'm not really a fan of all that fairytale sh*t so while it was definitely a fun day out and the theming is superb, I do think it is a bit overrated and probably wouldn't go back unless they added a major cred.

With all that said though, that Raveleijn show was amazing!

You are not the only person to find Symbolica a bit dull, I think it's possibly the most over-rated attraction I've been on. I love me some Efteling though, but I'm older now and I did have kids with me, I suspect an 18 year old me would find the place underwhelming.

My most overrated park is without doubt Epcot. Admittedly not really on here but any Disney based podcast or board I go on waxes lyrical about how amazing that place is. Now I get that they are mostly Disney Fanboys but come on. I hated it when I was 15 and when I was 17 and didn’t particularly care for it when I was 37.

The best ride used to be Maelstrom FFS, Test Track was an improvement but still the place was really underwhelming. Go and journey around the world, look at all the countries! No look at a sanitised version of the countries and the many stereotypes that are on show.

Having said this I’m sure it will be better when Guardians of the Galaxy opens (which no doubt will happen just after my scheduled June trip).

nadroJ

CF Legend
It's Dollywood guys I'm sad to say.

ALSO, and I'm prepared to take some flack for this, Cedar Point. The end of the park where Steel Vengeance and Maverick live is great by that park is HUGE. When only a quarter of your park is full of great stuff and the other 75% is...not...yh...

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
I think Cedar Point is filled with B+ coasters. The only coasters there I think are Elite are Steel Vengeance and Millenium Force. Raptor is borderline elite, but the rest of the park is bascially all good coasters that aren't elite.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I think Cedar Point is filled with C+ coasters.
Fixed it for you, although hating on CP is kinda played out at this point. Now when you do it you get called out for trying to be indie or some BS. I'm not a fan of the park but I'll go because they have a few rides I like/wanna ride..... but in a park with so many coasters, MOST are average and while some were the biggest/best of their kind when built, for most, that time was 20-30 years ago and it's time to move on.

I'd say for myself, Holiday World. One of the biggest park let downs of my life. When I finally got there, after years of rave reviews, thinking it was the holy grail of parks.... I found a dumpy park with 1 good ride (and it wasn't even the ride people creamed themselves for at the time)

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Interesting to see the mentions re: Dollywood. That looks super appealing by virtue of Lightening Rod and, I concede, the Dolly Parton gimmick. I’m actually intending to stay in the Dollywood hotel this year. But I’m probably hoping that it’s more like Silver Dollar City than it actually is.

@CanobieFan Holiday World… wow that’s a spicy one, I also find that super appealing.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
Fixed it for you, although hating on CP is kinda played out at this point. Now when you do it you get called out for trying to be indie or some BS. I'm not a fan of the park but I'll go because they have a few rides I like/wanna ride..... but in a park with so many coasters, MOST are average and while some were the biggest/best of their kind when built, for most, that time was 20-30 years ago and it's time to move on.

I'd say for myself, Holiday World. One of the biggest park let downs of my life. When I finally got there, after years of rave reviews, thinking it was the holy grail of parks.... I found a dumpy park with 1 good ride (and it wasn't even the ride people creamed themselves for at the time)
I think CP's C+ coasters are still good. They aren't bad rides but because their at cp they're held to a higher standard. If Rougarou was at Worlds of Fun or Michigan's adventure it would be held to a much higher regard. Same goes for Gatekeeper, Valravn, and if this was 2020, Wicked Twister.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Interesting to see the mentions re: Dollywood. That looks super appealing by virtue of Lightening Rod and, I concede, the Dolly Parton gimmick. I’m actually intending to stay in the Dollywood hotel this year. But I’m probably hoping that it’s more like Silver Dollar City than it actually is.

@CanobieFan Holiday World… wow that’s a spicy one, I also find that super appealing.

SDC is leaps and bounds better than Dollywood

Jared

Hyper Poster
Thorpe Park - All the fan boys fap over the place and quite honestly it’s just not that enjoyable lately. A lot of the guests have become intolerable and the place has seen better days.

Europa Park - Honestly this place gets a lot of praise, and rightly so. I agree with a lot of it to an extent, but I feel like a lot of people view this place with rose tinted glasses on or something. It’s a great park and the resort is nice too, but it just lacks thrills in my eyes.