What's new

Mopping up UK credits- Great Yarmouth, PWH, Oakwood, Brean, West Midlands and more

SilverArrow

Next up, after visiting one of only two Dennys in the UK (we might not have got to the US but at least we could have Dennys) we proceeded to Coney Beach Pleasure Park down on the coast in Porthcawl.

I am not going to lie, I was expecting either absolute rubbish or us walking up to a closed park fence that fenced off absolute rubbish, but I was wrong!
IMG_20200808_193147401_HDR.jpg
Ok I mean it's nothing spectacular but here me out! First up let's get the cred talk out of the way. There are two credits here, a caterpillar and a go-gator. We got the Caterpillar fine and then lost all our confidence in asking the man at the Go-gator whether we could ride. I attempted to join the queue and he shook his head at me. Ok, he looked a bit scary so I wasn't going to argue and it's a Go-gator so no great loss. +1 anyway for our time!

IMG_20200808_194000239_HDR.jpg

Now onto the better bit. I love a good afterburner so insisted on riding the one here as it looked like it ran a good cycle and most of the others joined for the ride!

IMG_20200808_194842123_HDR.jpg
It had fab views over the beach and a really long cycle. Ended up riding it twice!

IMG_20200808_194313532.jpg
There was a ghost train with an interesting facade. Can't remember whether this was any good or not though.

IMG_20200808_201655818_HDR.jpg
A load of us did this and it was fab, forwards and backwards and then a random snow effect! I think I laughed the whole way seeing everyone else bob around!

payhere.JPG
There was an interesting sign that read "Attention, this ride will stop in an emergency, crying is not an emergency"!

IMG_20200808_202602572.jpg
Whilst I waited what seemed like forever on the twister/sizzler I papped some of the crew on the swings, including MouseAT kicking back on the left!

IMG_20200808_205549011.jpg
All in all this was a nice little stop off that's I'd definitely recommend if you fancy doing a few extra rides before or after visiting Oakwood!

Last edited:

MouseAT

After filling up with a decent, yet somewhat greasy burger at Denny’s in Swansea, the first challenge of the evening was trying to find my way over to Porthcawl, and find both the park, and somewhere to park my car. Somehow, I managed to mangle my SatNav settings, and ended up making a short detour northward to a Tesco car park in nearby Neath. After realising and correcting my error, I finally arrived in a fairly busy Porthcawl, around 10 minutes later than originally planned. After finding the park itself, I parked up just over the road, and waited for the others to show up.

Coney Beach is pretty typical of your medium size seaside fun fair, with a couple of bland, bottom tier roller coasters in the form of a Nessi and a Go Gator, and a pretty decent variety of your typical, spinning flat rides, most of which I wouldn’t go out of my way to pay for or ride. Ordinarily, this is the sort of park where I’d be in and out in around 10 minutes, and then heading back to the hotel bar. However, with the +1 out of the way, an operator-induced spite on the Go Gator, and a couple of hours remaining before park close, the idea of getting some additional flat rides in had been planted, and I was absolutely game.

So, Beach Party. I love afterburners, and this was definitely one of the better ones. With manually operated restraints (so that you can actually leave some space to float, and not have the OTSRs pressing you down into the seat), fast, high speed swings, and a constant, rapid spin, this one ticks most of the boxes, although with the sustained spin throughout the ride cycle, I’d be cautious about twice in quick succession. I seem to remember one of the ride ops being a bit blasé with regard to his own safety, though, walking inside the ride area whilst the ride was operating, and standing on the hinged floor under the ride whilst it was rising and lowering at the start and end of the ride. Rather him than me!

There was a ghost train with an interesting facade. Can't remember whether this was any good or not though.
I REMEMBER IT BEING RATHER LOUD!

Fantasia, then. Lots of bobbing up and down whilst going in circles and being pushed into the outside of the car. Everything seemed remarkably sane to begin with… and then we discovered around halfway through the ride that they just hadn’t hit the button for ludicrous speed yet. Cue several more minutes of the ride trying to outpace Spaceball 1. As fun as it was, I think by the end it was pretty much on the upper limit of my tolerance for both going in circles, and for lateral Gs. It was worth doing once for the experience though.

I know a few of us rode the wave swinger after this, as they’re normally an enjoyable, yet chilled experience. I also remember SilverArrow having a ridiculously long ride on the Sizzler – I spent a while trying to take photos (unsuccessfully due to the fading light and me forgetting to switch the camera into manual mode), then walked halfway across the park in search of toilets, and by the time I got back, the ride was still going. They certainly don’t run their flat rides by half measures here!

By this point, most of us had run out of ride tokens, but SilverArrow and Fi still had just enough for a final ride on the afterburner before leaving the park. Cue a short drive back to Cardiff, a short drinking session in the hotel bar until last orders were called, and then all of us heading off to bed, exhausted, but thoroughly entertained.

Howie

Denny's though! 🤤
How did it compare to the 'Murican ones? Love a Denny's, me. I know it's not exactly haute cuisine, but .. y'know.
Murica! 🇺🇸

SilverArrow

Denny's though! 🤤
How did it compare to the 'Murican ones? Love a Denny's, me. I know it's not exactly haute cuisine, but .. y'know.
Murica! 🇺🇸
I had the superbird, which was a grilled turkey sandwich that they do in the US and it was good. I've definitely had the turkey club in the US before (found photo evidence) and the menu seemed to be spot on for those two things. You don't seem to get turkey as much over here so made a nice change. The others had burgers or pancakes so they could tell you about those. I thought it was good and something a bit different! The menu seemed to have a lot of the same things as in the US and wasn't as limited as could be expected. The other one is near Glasgow so those are your options!