What's new

Mitch Hawker Steel Coaster Poll 2012 - Results!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I agree that they need to be grouped together at this point.

However, if that happens they'll turn into one of those *favourite ________* coasters and fall really dramatically simply because of the grouping, likely out of even the top 25 which somehow doesn't seem quite right either.

Meh.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
andrus said:
Martyn B said:
For example, I cant recall seeing many (if any) glowing views for I305 and iSpeed - yet the're considered a 2 of the best coasters in the world?
I believe that I305 is a favourite on practically every other forum except CF?
I'm not sure it is, I know plenty of KD local fans who are less than enthusiastic about it.

I305 has it's merits. But it fundamentally fails the most important test... Being fun.

That entire park is weird. It's a collection of weird stuff. It's one of those parks that no one would ever rave about, but because of it's locality to Busch and the opportunity to ride a bunch of freak show coasters, it's actually a really important place for enthusiasts to experience.

Where else can you find an Intamin suspended launcher, a 300ft Intamin, a Togo standup, a Premier of any sort and a B&M without a zero-g? You're hard pressed to find many, if any of those about, and here they are neatly collected together.

I personally think Flight of Fear and Volcano are worth KD alone, and I personally like Arrow loopers, so... Anaconda. <3

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I could see a rational argument for lump summing the mega-lites as we do not have different designs yet for this layout. It would free up three of the top 15 spots for this years poll.

However, the downside would be inadvertently giving too much voting power to the Intamin Mega-lite category, making it sky rocky to first place.

Above all, I'd love to see raising the ridership limit from 10 to 20. Seeing Kawasemi and Mega-Lite rank on top with 2.9% and 1.8% of voting riders can be a bit of a head scratcher in comparison with majority vote. I am not saying to eliminate them all together in the "Did Not Qualify" category, but run them through a different algorithm to account for having a smaller polling base of riders.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
However, the downside would be inadvertently giving too much voting power to the Intamin Mega-lite category, making it sky rocky to first place.

How? How would it do that? Nobody's talking about combining the votes for the poll which already has the results published - that would be stupid - but banding them together for the next awards since they are exactly the same ride.

If they were grouped together they would drop simply because the grouped coasters are never voted for as favourites.

The ONLY reason Kawasemi and Megalite are higher than Piraten is though the whole "I've been to Japan and China and you haven't" vote. THEY. ARE. THE. SAME.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Joey said:
andrus said:
Martyn B said:
For example, I cant recall seeing many (if any) glowing views for I305 and iSpeed - yet the're considered a 2 of the best coasters in the world?
I believe that I305 is a favourite on practically every other forum except CF?
I'm not sure it is, I know plenty of KD local fans who are less than enthusiastic about it.

I305 has it's merits. But it fundamentally fails the most important test... Being fun.

That may be the consensus of I305's detractors on this forum, but the poll results don't seem to back this up as the prevailing opinion:

steelmutualrider2012.jpg

Of all the coasters voted upon, I305 lost head-to-head matchups, based on mutual rider comparisons, to just 4 other coasters. The takeaway here is that it didn't earn such a high spot in the rankings just because a lot of local fanboys stuffed the ballot box; rather, that among experienced enthusiasts who are well-traveled enough to form reasonably sound opinions on ride rankings, I305 generally makes the right impression.

Certainly doesn't mean it's going to be everyone's absolute favorite, but it does mean that there aren't too many people who'd categorize it as a fundamental failure in the fun department.

gavin said:
If they were grouped together they would drop simply because the grouped coasters are never voted for as favourites.

Not necessarily. I think given how high the Mega-Lites rank individually, a "Favorite Mega-Lite" category would still rate very highly. The fact that they're clones hasn't stopped anyone from voting them up so far, so why would grouping them together as with Batman or Boomerang clones change that?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
^ You didn't read what I said, I said I know plenty of local fanboys who think it's pretty pants, even terrible.

A problem with the poll is that most coaster enthusiasts do not vote coasters in order of their funness, they try to critically order them in terms of enthusiast connoisseurship that someone else decided for them.

I305 is intense. There's no way anyone can deny that fact. It's the most intense roller coaster in the world. And many enthusiasts clearly think that intensity so prolonged and strong is a very good thing, why..? Because it's so unusual what we thought we always wanted - an "extreme" ride, even though it turned out to be vile?? Plus there's the fact that it has a legendary status surrounding it's opening, because it was edited... And everyone who rode it before goes on about how outstanding it was prior to changes. It's cool to like I30, especially if you rode it in original form.

At the end of the day, I305 was given a good review on opening day by a certain very well listened to enthusiast who runs a community where the majority of poll voters come from. It really is that simple. The majority of people outside of that community do not rate I305, most think it's terrible.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Joey said:
^ You didn't read what I said, I said I know plenty of local fanboys who think it's pretty pants, even terrible.

I did read what you said, and I won't deny either that there are locals, big-time KD fans even, who don't enjoy it. I know several. But for every one of those you can show me, I can show you another who loves it, so this is really a moot point. I was addressing your assertion that I305 fails to be a fun ride.

Joey said:
I305 is intense. There's no way anyone can deny that fact. It's the most intense roller coaster in the world. And many enthusiasts clearly think that intensity so prolonged and strong is a very good thing, why..? Because it's so unusual what we thought we always wanted - an "extreme" ride, even though it turned out to be vile??

Well, as you say, nobody will deny I305's intensity as fact. However, positing that most enthusiasts have tricked themselves into thinking they enjoy an objectively terrible ride only because it meets some previously unattainable standard of intensity is purely conjecture, and whether or not I305 is "vile" is obviously a matter of opinion. While you feel that way about it, I think it's excellent. You state that it is a fundamental failure as a fun ride, but I'd say that it's the most fun I've ever had on a coaster. Some may find it intense to the point of discomfort and unpleasantness, but to me, that level of intensity is extremely thrilling and very enjoyable.

You see where I'm going with this? We could debate this ad infinitum, but at the end of the day, there's still no unbiased objective metric to determine what is and isn't a good ride, nor could there ever be, because biases & preferences as to what constitutes a "good" ride are always going to differ widely from person to person. With that being said, the closest thing we have to such a metric is a poll like this one, and while the results certainly aren't going to be met with universal agreement, they do give the best available portrayal of popular opinion.

Joey said:
A problem with the poll is that most coaster enthusiasts do not vote coasters in order of their funness, they try to critically order them in terms of enthusiast connoisseurship that someone else decided for them.

At the end of the day, I305 was given a good review on opening day by a certain very well listened to enthusiast who runs a community where the majority of poll voters come from. It really is that simple. The majority of people outside of that community do not rate I305, most think it's terrible.

See, I think here you're making a lot of assumptions here about how people go about the voting process. I won't deny TPR's influence on the polls, but how can you say with any certainty which voters vote for what's "supposed" to be good and which ones actually vote for what they like? And do these two things not often go hand in hand?

You and I both have heard and read opinions from people who dislike, even hate, I305, but that can't be construed to mean that the only people who rate the ride highly are primarily TPR'ers. If most of the people I know hold a certain political belief, is it fair for me to go ahead and assume that that belief is just as widely held among the larger national population?

The point is that while I305 is unquestionably polarizing, it's likely not as reviled by most as you suggest it is. Google "Intimidator 305 review" and read some of the hits that come up. Mostly various blog entries, and you get some negative ones, some with mixed opinions, and many offering positive, even if not effusive, praise. And though I'm loathe to invoke this, you could also go look at the comments on Youtube videos of I305 as well & you'd see a similar story: some negative, mostly positive. So yeah, while it may seem strange that a coaster ranked so highly can be considered very poor by some, I'm inclined to believe that the overall majority of those who've ridden it view it at least somewhat favorably. This of course does nothing to validate or invalidate anyone's personal opinion of the ride; I'm simply trying to make the argument that it's probably more well-received than you think it is.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I can separate my personal tastes from a basic understanding of general preferences. So whilst I don't think I305 is actually bad and would even go as far to say that I love the ending, most people don't love the ending because they find such chopping back and forth to be uncomfortable and other coasters that do this are heavily criticised. So what are you left with? A huge first drop and intense turn.

The problem with I305 is that the one thing it advertises is completely useless. It climbs a huge drop to fall down it with no sense of speed and then turn a corner at comparatively ground level, crawls over a gigantic camel hump, before spending the rest of the ride dicking about low to the ground. You don't build a 300ft drop with a compact coaster about directional transitions on the end. And whilst the second half is fast, the fact that it's not blistering shows how energy inefficient that drop, turn and hill really are.

This poll does not portray an "overall majority". It rightly favours those who are well traveled - but the problem there is that a certain community is more well traveled than others and they do most of the ballots. That's fine in itself, but when that community is also known for banning members who like something different...

The thing is that, as Mike says, we have no right to complain about the results unless we get out there, ride stuff and vote! I should have voted. I did the wood poll because it was easier to vote, and unsurprisingly the wood poll (due to most people having ridden less wood and there are less to begin with) comes back with picture which suites far more peoples tastes than this one ever does.

I'm not complaining, I'm discussing why the results are like they are. And unfortunately, it's just a obvious fact.

How would the poll be if more people voted? I honestly don't have a clue. I think the same coasters would be in the top 20, pretty much, but in a different order. I think some considered "oddballs" would be further up than they are, but thats because they aren't odd at all, but that someone else decided they are instead of rating them for their actual qualities.

I don't deny how well I305 was received. It's still not very good though. :p

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
gavin said:
If [the Intamin Mega-Lites] were grouped together they would drop simply because the grouped coasters are never voted for as favourites.
I'd have though they'd still rank well, as they're great rides. Surely people would just rank their best one highly and leave it at that. No significant change, just one entry rather than multiple ones.

I suspect the reason most of the grouped coasters don't rank well is because they're largely bland cloned rides that everyone has ridden 50 times before and is utterly bored of riding. That's not something that really applies to the mega lites.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Bahaha, KD has an amazing talent for building wtf stuff.

Soooo gutted I missed out on Hypersonic. :'(

Anyone done the Japanese one?

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Hypersonic XLC was one of the worst coaster I had ever ridden... And I gave it 5 or 6 shots over many visits and years.... It was like "car crash: the ride" :?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
But it's INTERESTING, I like INTERESTING rides! :p

What was the general consensus on Hypersonic?

If you hated it, that must mean it was the best coaster int he world on Mitch's poll...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Joey said:
Anyone done the Japanese one?

There are about 4 or 5 on here who have.

The launch is amazing. The airtime on the top hat, especially in the front seats, is painfully strong; it's fantastic yet horrendous all at the same time. That's pretty much all there is to it though. the huge curve leading to the top hat is fast, and a bit rattly, but doesn't feel forceful.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
gavin said:

How? How would it do that? Nobody's talking about combining the votes for the poll which already has the results published - that would be stupid - but banding them together for the next awards since they are exactly the same ride.

The ONLY reason Kawasemi and Megalite are higher than Piraten is though the whole "I've been to Japan and China and you haven't" vote. THEY. ARE. THE. SAME.
You would be giving a larger ridership base to Mega-Lites, giving the genre more clout in the calculations. If you were to use this years ratings, the combined Mega-lites would add up to a ridership of 62, instead of 10, 16, and 36 individually. This would mean that #1 votes for any individual mega-lite would carry more weight due to a higher ridership.

Of course I'm not saying to do this with the current rankings - just a word of statistical caution that can occur from combining multiple options into a larger aggregate.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If you were to use this years ratings, the combined Mega-lites would add up to a ridership of 62, instead of 10, 16, and 36 individually.

So are you saying there's no crossover? I'd put money on the Chinese and Japanese coasters having pretty much the same rider base - it will be enthusiast groups voting, not locals - which in turn will have also likely ridden Piraten. The combined ridership would be nowhere near 62. It would more likely be closer to 40.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
You're right, I didn't factor in riders having ridden multiple roller coasters.

I have counted 7 ballots having both ridden Piraten and Kawasemi, 7 ballots ridden Kawasemi and Mega-Lite, and 7 ballots ridden Mega-Lite and Piraten.

So let's deduct 14 from the 62 overall riders to avoid double counting (and indeed triple counting) riders, which lands us at 48. That still yields 3x more riders than Kawasemi and 4.8x more riders than Mega-Lite individually.

Ben

CF Legend
The Mega Lites are stupidly overrated. They're good, but they aren't a patch on even the rubbish bigger ones (so EGF and Bizarro). And I've done the one in China. They're just so obviously off the shelf that they have no soul and so to say they're some of the best coasters in the World seems... Cheap?

Goliath is the only Intamin Mega that's really great, and it should be a lot higher.

Shambhala totally deserves to be there. Pisses over almost all of Intamin's efforts (and it's as good as Goliath). Defo my favourite B&M Mega.

There's so many other rides in there that really don't deserve to be where they are, it's becoming a joke. It's just 'what does TPR think?'.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Did any major theme park groups do trips to Port Aventura? That would further explain shambhala's low ranking.

However, you have multi hundred rider lists landing spinners above giga coasters, there is going to be a lot of bias playing through.