What's new

Mitch Hawker Steel Coaster Poll 2012 - Results!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Lack of riders isn't an issue. The riders must have mutual comparisons to "matter." If someone ranks Leviathan #1, but hasn't ridden, say Maverick, then the two ballots don't get compared on that particular pairing.

I can explain in more detail, but I'm typing on my iPad...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm being overly harsh here, but I just think this is food for thought...

Is the tediousness of filling out the ballot more damaging than the result inaccuracies of a less complicated system?

Not that I have an answer.

I think the comments on Maverick are fascinating. It's my personal favourite steel.

Could it be that Maverick lives up to more of the learned preferences of Europeans? It's smallish, intense, etc.

That said, if anything, I'd have thought that was MFs downfall. I personally don't rate it, but you'd think that with so many other hyper-style coasters in the US, it would get lost in the sea. I guess, by majority, Americans like their coasters large.

So that's my theory. Learned preferences.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

TilenB

Strata Poster
Mirabilandia is still the only park with 2 coasters in the top10. Wow!
And, are Intamin 'mega' models really that good?

marc

CF Legend
Yeah and 2 coasters that I thought were way over rated, but I know another group says ispeed is the best coaster out there!

Have done one mega lite and I loved it. The airtime is fantastic and it was so much fun.

Martyn B

CF Legend
I haven't been on many (if any of the top ten), so I'm going annoy Gavin here. I'm surprised at what coasters are up there.

For example, I cant recall seeing many (if any) glowing views for I305 and iSpeed - yet the're considered a 2 of the best coasters in the world?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^It depends where you're looking for those reviews though. There's not a lot of love for I305 on here that's for sure, but there was a concerted push elsewhere to get it placed highly on the polls in its opening year.

Most people's ballots won't really have changed all that much since then.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I couldn't be bothered to hand in a ballot, I just don't give much though to coasters after my top 10, and even then that's arrange at a push and is probably ambiguous. I don't understand how people can list 100+ coasters and put them in order of preference.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
For example, I cant recall seeing many (if any) glowing views for I305 and iSpeed
When it comes to iSpeed, I guess it boils down to whether or not you can live with the restraints. It's got all the elements of a great ride, but it's just the restraints that made it too uncomfortable for me (and many others) to rate it highly. If the restraints don't bother you then it's probably a really good ride.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I don't even remember a thing about it; that's how much of an impression it made on me.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I really wanted to re-ride it to see if I missed something, but then we were spited by the rain. :(
Didn't impress me that much from my one front seat ride.

marc

CF Legend
Yes wanted to ride it again as I was still ill after the ert we had. All I remember is a weak lunch and pain which I've never had from them restraints before.

Tbh out of the group I think there were only 1 or 2 that rated it.

I also remember a lot of people saying katurn was below nemesis and even Montu.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
I couldn't be bothered to hand in a ballot, I just don't give much though to coasters after my top 10, and even then that's arrange at a push and is probably ambiguous. I don't understand how people can list 100+ coasters and put them in order of preference.

I have a similar problem - my top 5 is quite easy, 6-10 is reasonably consistent - I guess there may be another 5 or so coasters which MAY be worthy of a place in my top 10, and if pushed I could probably get a decent top 20.

beyond that, I'm not sure how I'd compare say kumbo with alpengeist, or volcano with EGF (I wasn't over impressed when I rode it) or rage with 4 man bob etc etc....

Also - I know goudurix is rough - but is it REALLY the worst in the world? I'd rate baco FAR worse...

Mike

Giga Poster
I never understand how people can complain about a result in a poll when they couldn't even be arsed to vote in it. :?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Who's doing that, Mike?

I agree, but all I see here is a discussion.

I also agree with Jordan, how do people order so many coasters?

I have a handful of favourites, a bunch of greats, loads of goods, gigantic amount of meh, and then a small turd pile, followed by the handful of absolute rancid crap.

Past grouping like this, I really struggle.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I struggled too Joey, but I placed them into those vague categories and then just personally ordered them.

Which rides would I love to go on again, or sit out if I was tired, or whatever. When you get them into a vague order, it's not too difficult - but you do need to group them and then order.

I considered not putting in common coasters like Pinfari Zyklons or Boomerangs, but I needed to give Baco and X:\NWO a fair trial ;)

andrus

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
For example, I cant recall seeing many (if any) glowing views for I305 and iSpeed - yet the're considered a 2 of the best coasters in the world?
I believe that I305 is a favourite on practically every other forum except CF? I love it too and can't really see the criticism :? iSpeed is a generally very well perceived coaster as well! I think it's a good coaster too, but maybe not quite top 10 material? The main problem as I see it is that it's promoted as the number one coaster in europe. Which really puts a lot of pressure on the ride, especially with the fab Katun in the same park! Imo Katun is a lot better, it's both more powerful and has a greater sense of speed at the same time as the theming is in another dimension! If iSpeed would've been situated in another park it might have been a top 10 ride for me but as of now it's overshadowed by Katun..

TilySlo said:
And, are Intamin 'mega' models really that good?
I think the reason to why they rank so high is because they're well perceived in all camps. Perhaps not #1 but they often rank top 10. Imo they're great fun and ver re-ridable, but at least the "old" ones lack the extra bit of punch. Skyrush and I305 on the other hand are pure kick ass rides!

Jake

Strata Poster
The Mega Lites are fab, but they're not top 10 material and should not be listed separately.

I haven't done this poll for a couple of years now because it's such a burden, so that's all I'll say.