What's new

Michigan's Adventure [with furries]

Error

Strata Poster
Yes, I am one. No, I'm not making a deal about it.

So last week (July 17th), I set up a meet at Michigan's Adventure. I hadn't gone there in about 6 years, so I felt it needed a visit.

Our day began with the hot air balloons flying up over Jackson.
SAM_0179.jpg

Then our venture up north started. JOE DRIVING SHOT!
SAM_0180.jpg

And Sarah tried to get a picture of herself (And her new shirt)
SAM_0181.jpg

Driving through Mid-Michigan:
SAM_0182.jpg

SAM_0186.jpg

SAM_0183.jpg

Then we arrive about an hour before opening, the parking lot not even open yet. So I grabbed some pictures of the legendary Shivering Timbers:
SAM_0187.jpg

SAM_0189.jpg

SAM_0190.jpg

SAM_0191.jpg

SAM_0192.jpg

Cars in back of us:
SAM_0195.jpg

About 20 minutes before opening, we got in, and I swear I've never had a closer parking spot in any park:
SAM_0196.jpg

Mad Mouse, waiting for us:
SAM_0197.jpg

The pain...the pain...
SAM_0200.jpg

Gates opened, and we met up with fellow furry Heather, who oddly enough is a coaster enthusiast as well!
And the park was...oddly quiet...at first...
SAM_0204.jpg

Then...PEOPLE!
SAM_0205.jpg

We headed out to Mad Mouse, since it would be the longest line due to the low capacity:
SAM_0207.jpg

The ride was fun, but I don't care for the lats on mouses to begin with:
SAM_0208.jpg

We headed out to shivering timbers, since the rest of the group got pulled over about 30 miles away:
SAM_0213.jpg

I really like the area around the sign:
SAM_0214.jpg

Shot of Wildcat while we were waiting for it:
SAM_0215.jpg

More peeps showed up, as we headed for the back of the park to work our way front:
SAM_0230.jpg

What were we going to ride?
SAM_0217.jpg

What could it be?
SAM_0228.jpg

Thunderhawk! Of course! The only coaster here I haven't done!
SAM_0236.jpg

And no line! Walk to the station:
SAM_0237.jpg

Some pictures:
SAM_0241.jpg

SAM_0242.jpg

Now, a REVIEW!
Firstly, I can't see why people complain about the roughness on these. Maybe I was lucky, but it wasn't too bad. I've certainly done a lot worse. Expecting a painful journey, I instead got a fun, forceful little coaster. I can see why these are popular: cheap and fun. The only real complaint I can give is the thicker restraints, but they weren't so bad.

Overall, very fun and forceful, but not the greatest. I'll do it again if I come back.
7/10

We headed our way front, a few doing the nearby carousel, the rest of us going on the nearby corkscrew.
SAM_0268.jpg

Which was running slow, due to one train and crappy ride hosts:
SAM_0248.jpg

I don't like the color of the inside station:
SAM_0247.jpg

And it was painful. At least it's very photogenic, as apparent with all these pictures:
SAM_0203.jpg

SAM_0206.jpg

SAM_0209.jpg

SAM_0216.jpg

SAM_0220.jpg

SAM_0244.jpg

We headed on over to Wolverine Wildcat, which was ok, but nothing to write home about:
SAM_0229.jpg

But I did get some impressive pictures:
SAM_0243.jpg

SAM_0253.jpg

SAM_0256.jpg

SAM_0257.jpg

SAM_0258.jpg

FAVORITE PICTURE OF DAY GOES TO:
SAM_0259.jpg

SAM_0260.jpg

For as little as the park has, they do very well with what it's got:
SAM_0262.jpg

SAM_0262.jpg

After another round of Shivering Timbers (Which moved up in my rankings. Seriously, you MUST of had a bad ride), we went to the waterpark. Obviously I didn't take any pictures, nor did I stay long: while the ride park was empty, the waterpark was packed.

On our way out I take a ride on Zach's Zoomer, which is a fun little coaster.
SAM_0223.jpg

More Pictures:
SAM_0224.jpg

SAM_0225.jpg

Even...rode Big Dipper. And yes, it's still the worst:
SAM_0269.jpg

SAM_0272.jpg

SAM_0274.jpg

One more ride on Shivering Timbers, are we're heading home. All smiles:
SAM_0276.jpg

SAM_0277.jpg

Ride count:
Shivering Timbers: 3
Thunderhawk: 3
Corkscrew: 1
Mad Mouse: 1
Wolverine Wildcat: 1
Zach's Zoomer: 1
Big Dipper: 1
Tilt-a-whirl: 1

And I wanted to practice with my new camera, so here's a video of the day. It also proves that, with little video, you can make a decent video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-WWKbLueq8&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

real

Roller Poster
If it ever got a retrack, it would run back to optimal performance with awesome floater and great speed over every hill. But the jackhammering and shotty maintenance has ruined that dream. I got to ride it when it was just a few years old, was developing some of that roughness but OMG the drop in the backseat was awesome. Especially when my buddy and I had a TON of room in the lap bar. The other hills subsequently offered STANDING airtime one every drop.

A couple years later, it was mearly a shell of its former self :(

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I've heard that since I was there last, it's gotten a bit more rough. It's a shame, really. Sounds like you had fun, but why no photos of you guys in the furry suits?

real

Roller Poster
Snoo said:
^That.

Doesn't help the return trip offers nothing in terms of airtime either.

Yea, in order for the return to have airtime, you need the speed on the first half that is now lost with terrible tracking.

This is a ride that just needs a GCI retracking or the Iron Horse treatment. Youd be more limited but dang, you could basically create an even better El Toro with what, 5-6 straight ridiculous airtime hills?

Error

Strata Poster
Antinos said:
Sounds like you had fun, but why no photos of you guys in the furry suits?

Park policy, being you can't wear anything that conceils your face. Also, $1,200+ suits on coasters? I wouldn't.