What's new

Manta- B&M Flyer for SWO opening May 22

Testing the ride could begin anytime after the trains arrive & are installed, but the aquarium is scheduled to be finished mid April. It should be early-mid May before they can begin to move the fish into the tanks due to strict water condition inspections that take weeks to complete (even if all tests are passed on the first go round). Once the fish are moved into the tanks it takes another 4 weeks before they are settled enough to allow the ride to be opened. So the projected opening date is set for June due to aquarium, not the ride readiness.

nadroJ said:
Yay so finally it's official. Any ideas when construction begins? I read in our holiday brochure it's scheduled to open Spring '09 and the Orlando theme parks don't usually disappoint with deadlines.

Unfortunatly they do now :(

Spring lead all the way up to the end of April as we found out in California. When they say Spring they can mean the end of Spring not the start of it.

I can not remember the name of the holiday in Spring but is that not when they tend to open rides?

They still have ages to get this ride finished.

Yes thats what got us with X2, we thought it would open when we were there but they waited until Memorial Day.

The Northern Hemispheric summer officially begins on June 21st, the date of the summer Solstice aka: when the sun reaches its highest altitude in the north (the boundary that defines the Tropic of Cancer - 23.5 degrees North of the Equator). It doubles as a measurement of time - dividing the spring and summer seasons.

UC said:
Memorial Day...This is at the end of May (last Monday in May), and happens to be the weekend summer unofficially begins in the U.S.
Like UC said! Think we want to wait until June 21st for it to start? I think...Not!

Even though it's wrapped in yellow, the station looks like it will be very nice when it is complete. It looks to cover a lot of space too. Maybe that's just because of the double platforms inside, but who knows.

SeaWorld has announce the opening date for Manta & it's earlier than expected - May 22, 2009. Looks like the coaster & aquarium entrance construction is moving along right on schedule (if not slightly ahead of schedule).
Here is the accompanying announcement animation and a short video interview with Director of Design & Engineering Brian Morrow.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imTmnEDENAM[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQRk65R_cs[/youtube]

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I get to ride it, I get to ride it!

Where did you hear that, ECG?

In the email they sent me, so it's the real deal! :--D
The date of May 22nd is the scheduled opening date, but that still is subject to change. I think you can pretty much be sure that it will open at that time, as they otherwise would have simply informed me that it would be late May.

I love the animation. From the way the boy grabs hold & takes off with the manta, to the wing dip, to the transformation from flying into the coaster layout - absolutely brilliant!

I love the way in that animation the way the track grows out of the water from the Manta ray's arse.

It's a really good animation, really suited to the ride vibe of a chilled out exploration through the sea.

Like Air came from the flying bird concept, this one is perfect for the swimming fish concept.

I would love to ride this and I'm sure I will one day. In the mean time I'll sit F5ing for Jerry's inevitable report!

Ahh crap, did he just say "It's kinda like the Air Ride at Alton Towers" :shock:

Phew.. wait he said bigger and faster :--D

East Coast(er) General said:
In the email they sent me, so it's the real deal! :--D
The date of May 22nd is the scheduled opening date, but that still is subject to change. I think you can pretty much be sure that it will open at that time, as they otherwise would have simply informed me that it would be late May.

DAMN!!!! One month, just one MONTH after I go :(

Oh well, you have some great contacts Jerry!

I love the animation. From the way the boy grabs hold & takes off with the manta, to the wing dip, to the transformation from flying into the coaster layout - absolutely brilliant!

Much better than Fluch Von Novrogod's isnt it? The way the track just appears behind the Manta, bloody incredible. THE MOST AMAZING TRAILER EVER!

Jools said:
Ahh crap, did he just say "It's kinda like the Air Ride at Alton Towers" :shock:

Phew.. wait he said bigger and faster :--D

Thank god. :p

I enjoyed the animation.. better quality then most ride animations which come out.

I love that ride animation! It was great! Can't wait to get over there 2010/2011 sometime :D

It's looking great, as I expected.
Nice to see how the work's progressing & some familiar faces (Lucy & Gary). :)