What's new

M&D's Tsunami derailed

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
TilenB said:
Mostly bad maintenance, I guess. Have any of the other Pinfari inverts had issues even similar to this? Plus this has been operating for more than 15 years (in different places ofc), so it can hardly been manufacturer who is to blame for a problem like this...

There are only 3, including Tsunami, operating at permanent parks. This one and the one in Georgia were on the traveling circuit for a while. No information on whether the one in The Philippines traveled before, but it's been at the park for 9 years without this kind of incident, though someone fell out and died at some point (seems he struggled to get out himself and it was a suicide), and the car hit a member of staff at another time as it was leaving the station. Anyway, nothing similar to this to suggest a manufacturing issue.

Any idea on how many of these are currently traveling?

Anyway, as you said, it seems it would be wrong to blame the manufacturing of the ride since it's quite a few years old now. When the car on Cobra at Tivoli Friheden derailed (different manufacturer it should be pointed out), it was brand new, so clearly a manufacturing issue. A ride of this age though? No.

TilenB

Strata Poster
gavin said:
TilenB said:
Mostly bad maintenance, I guess. Have any of the other Pinfari inverts had issues even similar to this? Plus this has been operating for more than 15 years (in different places ofc), so it can hardly been manufacturer who is to blame for a problem like this...

There are only 3, including Tsunami, operating at permanent parks. This one and the one in Georgia were on the traveling circuit for a while. No information on whether the one in The Philippines traveled before, but it's been at the park for 9 years without this kind of incident, though someone fell out and died at some point (seems he struggled to get out himself and it was a suicide), and the car hit a member of staff at another time as it was leaving the station. Anyway, nothing similar to this to suggest a manufacturing issue.

Anyway, as you said, it seems it would be wrong to blame the manufacturing of the ride since it's quite a few years old now. When the car on Cobra at Tivoli Friheden derailed (different manufacturer it should be pointed out), it was brand new, so clearly a manufacturing issue. A ride of this age though? No.

I believe the only one that's currently traveling is the one in Dubai (the one that used to operate in France at first). Not many of these have been built, but that mostly goes down to the fact Pinfari has gone bankrupt only a couple of years after they'd started making these inverts... I'm not really keen on digging up the info on any potential accidents the ones in Georgia and/or Dubai might have had in the past. There was never anything earth shattering, otherwise I'm certain at least some enthusiast would've known about it...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
DailyMail Comment Section said:
Whoever designs these roller coasters are absolute donkeys. I am a mechanical engineer and I just don't understand why they cannot be bothered to have an extra set of emergency wheels underneath every individual chassis of the rollercoaster just in case the working wheels break or fall off. The standby wheels will stop the derailment and the sensors will raise the alarm but at least the passengers will be safe. Mechanical failure is imminent over time so why not have safety backup measures in place? As I said, absolute donkeys!!

Interesting point of debate there.

Not really. If this kind of incident happened all the time then maybe. However, if it happened all of the time then the basic design and manufacturing should go back to the drawing board and all coasters closed because they'd be inherently unsafe.

That guy is a donkey :p

Lofty

CF Legend
Gonna sound awful, but, I'm hardly surprised something like this has happened at the park. I'm in shock that the entire train has derailed, but that park is run in such a bad way. I worked with them at one point before walking away from the project because of the way it was run...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Obviously a nightmare situation for all involved, I hope they are all ok. How many full derails have ever happened, surely this is so very rare that maybe once every decade?

It's imperative that the cause is identified as soon as possible, sounds like it's very lucky there wasn't a death because of this.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
From the Guardian:
'Eight children and two adults were taken to hospitals nearby. NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde confirmed on Monday that four children were at the Royal children’s hospital. Three were in a serious condition, while one was described as stable.

One adult was in a stable condition at Glasgow Royal infirmary. NHS Lanarkshire said five patients were taken to Wishaw general hospital. Of those, three children and one adult were said to be in a stable condition. Another child was discharged, a spokesman confirmed.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ster-crash

Also, Justin from the ECC was on BBC breakfast this morning. Not sure if the clip is available yet.

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
This park is certain to close forever now. There's no chance this dump will be able to afford the legal fees and bounce back from the damaged reputation. Unlike The Smiler, I can't see this being put back in operation, it will be demolished since its 15 yrs old and made by a manufacturer that isn't around anymore.

TilenB

Strata Poster
cjbrandy said:
This park is certain to close forever now. There's no chance this dump will be able to afford the legal fees and bounce back from the damaged reputation. Unlike The Smiler, I can't see this being put back in operation, it will be demolished since its 15 yrs old and made by a manufacturer that isn't around anymore.

I have a feeling they'll try to sell it to some random country that hasn't heard much about the incident. Despite Pinfari ceasing their operations, I believe that Interpark is continuing their legacy and still sells spare parts and possibly even offers some maintenance.

Martyn B

CF Legend
There's another news article where the park owner has stated that the coaster will reopen soon, and all of their rides are perfectly safe etc.

Sorry, but no, on both accounts.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'd hope that's a mistake or a misquote because there's simply no way that ride will be re-opening any time soon.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Whether it reopens or not, I don't think anybody will ride that again! Honestly can't see how anybody will go back here, unlike after the Smiler crash I have seen no comments in support of the park, not even one.

Karen

Hyper Poster
Still not looking good for some of the injured. My guess is that the ones in the back carriage wrapped around the support would be worst off. I am glad this is a rare occurrence. My heart goes out to all involved :(

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I just saw this article, which seems to give a mixture of good and bad news.

Good news is that is sounds like the condition of more of the riders is improving, but bad as it does make it sound like the two boys in the back row are suffering quite badly. Hopefully the doctors are able to work their magic with them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-36637200

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
Re: M&D's Tsunami derailed

Truly awful! A complete derailment like this must be the absolute worst case scenario for a coaster accident - I'm struggling to think of a more nightmarish type of incident. Just thankful this didn't occur any further up.

Whilst poor maintenance must be considered the major factor at this point, I'm not entirely convinced there wasn't something else in play. I mean for one wheel assembly to detach is one thing, but for them all to go in a cataclysmic chain reaction surely implies some sort of manufacturing defect? Another potential theory I'll just throw out here - what if the deformed support was there before the incident? Could it have created a sharp spot in the track too significant for the chassis to handle?

Ben

CF Legend
TilenB said:
gavin said:
TilenB said:

I believe the only one that's currently traveling is the one in Dubai (the one that used to operate in France at first). Not many of these have been built, but that mostly goes down to the fact Pinfari has gone bankrupt only a couple of years after they'd started making these inverts... I'm not really keen on digging up the info on any potential accidents the ones in Georgia and/or Dubai might have had in the past. There was never anything earth shattering, otherwise I'm certain at least some enthusiast would've known about it...

We discovered one travelling in China as well.

This is absolutely awful, but, does anyone feel this has had less of an impact than Smiler? Like, less people in the GP that I've seen seem to care?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
This is absolutely awful, but, does anyone feel this has had less of an impact than Smiler? Like, less people in the GP that I've seen seem to care?
Yes, I agree, but I can't think why?

Is it just a less well known park, so fewer people know of it or have even been to it? Alton Towers is a park lots of people know about nationally, I don't think M&D's is?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Or the fact that the news is full of nothing apart from Brexit?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oops, that slipped my mind somehow! Quite right Gavin, that's probably it!