What's new

M&D's Tsunami derailed

davidm

Strata Poster
Dave said:
Just watching ITV news and the reporter said the train collided with the superstructure before derailing. Anywhere else mentioning that?
Saw some pics (TPR) indicating one of the supports had been hit/bent - but it must be in at least the process of de-railing to do that (i.e. consequence not cause).

Dave

CF Legend
david morton said:
Dave said:
Just watching ITV news and the reporter said the train collided with the superstructure before derailing. Anywhere else mentioning that?
Saw some pics (TPR) indicating one of the supports had been hit/bent - but it must be in at least the process of de-railing to do that (i.e. consequence not cause).

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/747103576560926720[/tweet]

The horizontal one on the drop looks like it's suffered an impact.

Another photo of some of the carnage the derailment caused;

[tweet]https://twitter.com/STVNews/status/747127342804393984[/tweet]

Smithy

Strata Poster
Likewise.

Be a minor miracle if people haven't suffered serious injuries there, especially given it's an inverted ride and looks like it's clattered that support.

Jake

Strata Poster
Wow. Absolutely shocking and unprecedented.

To be honest I can't believe there haven't been any deaths, very lucky if there aren't. Surely there will be some life changing injuries? Again, extremely lucky if there isn't.

Can't figure out how it's happened - like everyone else I wouldn't have thought one car spiting would drag all the others off and the track seems OK from what we can see.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Going by all the pics that are doing the rounds (including the last one on page 3), it looks like a number of wheel assemblies just...sheared off.

CoastinBear

Roller Poster
Well, if one wheel assembly was on the verge of shearing off and causing the derailment in the first place, it's possible that the others weren't that reliable either.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Re: M&D's Tsunami derailed

^Unless one failing put so much stress on the next one that it gave way, and the next, and then next?

I wonder how much of that was down to poor maintenance or down to the loads exceeding the design loads.

EDIT: CoastinBear beat me to it!

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
I can't quite figure how the train is lined up how it is if it came off down the first drop...

According to one eyewitness (in the Mirror's article) it was approaching the end of the ride when it derailed.

“The ride had nearly finished,it was coming to the end."

So maybe it wasn't 30ft in the air when it came off, like some reports are saying, which might explain why the injuries are hopefully not too serious.

Ironically when I was at M&Ds last year this seemed like the most well maintained of their coasters! :shock:

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
My god, how does an entire train just derail? And didn't another accident happen here a month ago?

Hopefully everything gets sorted out.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^^If I remember rightly the station platform is slightly raised up, so it would still have fallen from a height event if it was on the brake run.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
The whole train... I'm in shock. The one pic of the wheel assembly on the ground really hit the nail. The wheel assembly almost looked in tact. Hopefully the victims are out and about soon. :(

Sandman

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
^^If I remember rightly the station platform is slightly raised up, so it would still have fallen from a height event if it was on the brake run.

It's probably a couple of foot off the ground. I think the final (slightly banked) turn before the break run is where the incident occured.

tsunami2_158.jpg

Zac

Roller Poster
Absolutely horrifying, I hope those injured make a full recovery, and that M&Ds is made to pay for its blatant failure. Probably going to be a tough rest of the year for other theme parks in the UK, I doubt the media will hesitate to tie this to the smiler a year ago.

Zac

Roller Poster
[youtubevid]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxB03OUZ7_g[/youtubevid]

looks like the ride it crashed into was some little scooters.

Edited to embed video. - ECG

Dar

Hyper Poster
witchfinder said:
Martyn B said:
I can't quite figure how the train is lined up how it is if it came off down the first drop...

According to one eyewitness (in the Mirror's article) it was approaching the end of the ride when it derailed.

So maybe it wasn't 30ft in the air when it came off, like some reports are saying, which might explain why the injuries are hopefully not too serious.

Ironically when I was at M&Ds last year this seemed like the most well maintained of their coasters! :shock:

That doesn't tally up with this support being bent out of shape, unless it was already bent prior to this, which is worrying in itself!
damage.jpg

from:https://twitter.com/_demicampbell/status/747085763939008512

Compared to a previous image of the same support:
nodamage_0.jpg

:)

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Dreading hearing about these injuries. Inverts derailing is the stuff of nightmares as there is simply nowhere your legs can go. Praying it's not as severe as it seems

Dave

CF Legend
The wheels must of sheered off at the banking of the turn and once one went the rest did under the added strain and then eventually fell off the track bounced off the floor luckily landing on it's side then flipping over after hitting the ground supports/fence/rides.

DailyMail Comment Section said:
Whoever designs these roller coasters are absolute donkeys. I am a mechanical engineer and I just don't understand why they cannot be bothered to have an extra set of emergency wheels underneath every individual chassis of the rollercoaster just in case the working wheels break or fall off. The standby wheels will stop the derailment and the sensors will raise the alarm but at least the passengers will be safe. Mechanical failure is imminent over time so why not have safety backup measures in place? As I said, absolute donkeys!!

Interesting point of debate there.

Zac

Roller Poster
Dar said:
witchfinder said:
Martyn B said:

That doesn't tally up with this support being bent out of shape, unless it was already bent prior to this, which is worrying in itself!
damage.jpg

from:https://twitter.com/_demicampbell/status/747085763939008512

Compared to a previous image of the same support:
nodamage_0.jpg

:)
Chief Inspector David Bruce said: “Five gondolas connected in a train on the Tsunami ride have detached from the rails, struck the superstructure and then struck the ground."

Possibly a more reliable source, I assume that support was bent due to the derailed car hitting it.