What's new

M&D's Tsunami derailed

Smithy

Strata Poster
Re: M&D's Tsunami has derailed

Sounds like it might have been both Furie, as only 2 of the carriages came off and looking at RCDB there are 5 carraiges on the train.

Although one has probably been as a result of the other, pictures of the entire wheel housings seperate on the floor so if that's gone first the carriage has probably torn itself off the track.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Looks like it wasn't too keen on leaving the EU either and decided to kamikaze... ;)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

spicy said:
Never heard of a whole train derailing before, then again has an inverted train ever derailed before?
Not the entire train, but there was the incident at Tivoli Friheden in July '08 with Cobra's front car derailing. That's a Sartori invert and this one's a Pinfari.

Dave

CF Legend

Smithy said:
Sounds like it might have been both Furie, as only 2 of the carriages came off and looking at RCDB there are 5 carraiges on the train.

Although one has probably been as a result of the other, pictures of the entire wheel housings seperate on the floor so if that's gone first the carriage has probably torn itself off the track.

I think all of them came off, I count 4 train cars on the floor in most photos, can't see the 5th one.

mouse

Giga Poster

Oh ****, an actual derailment... like how? Will most probably have a huge impact on the GPs attitudes to roller coaster safety.

I guess this is either due to bad manufacturing or bad maintenance, right?

CoastinBear

Roller Poster

Smithy said:

From the pictures I have seen, all five cars came off the track. There are the two upside-down cars pictured looking towards the station from the bottom of the first drop. On a picture taken from the other side, however, you can see one car laying on its side, and between that car and the two upside-down cars, there are people gathered around another car. Just near to the fence, what must be car five is surrounded by emergency workers.

Given the discussions we have had regarding the front two rows of seats on B&M Inverters and Dive Coasters, there is a "less flexible" joint between the lead and second cars, so perhaps that is why the front two cars are both to be seen upside-down.

EDIT: 9 children and 2 adults in hospital - so no reports of any deaths, which is a small glimmer of hope.

Bananaman

Roller Poster

35B120AD00000578-3660890-image-a-93_1466956282514.jpg

Reports saying the wheels flew off ?

Martyn B

CF Legend

Yeah the entire train has supposedly derailed. Which is just mental. Like furie said, everyone's worst nightmare, especially with inverted coasters!

This just doesn't happen, like at all, ever.

TilenB

Strata Poster

mouse said:
Oh ****, an actual derailment... like how? Will most probably have a huge impact on the GPs attitudes to roller coaster safety.

I guess this is either due to bad manufacturing or bad maintenance, right?

Mostly bad maintenance, I guess. Have any of the other Pinfari inverts had issues even similar to this? Plus this has been operating for more than 15 years (in different places ofc), so it can hardly been manufacturer who is to blame for a problem like this...

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Footage on BBC a few moments ago showed empty trains so the injured have been removed from the wreckage. Hope they're all ok, as much as ok can be.

Tbh, I'm surprised something like this hasn't happened sooner on the ride.

**** knows what affect this have on the UK industry. Us enthusiasts realise it's a travelling ride and might not be as safe as others, but to the public it's just a rollercoaster like Nemesis. I don't want a generation of parents stopping their kids from enjoying coasters because of two recent high profile accidents.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek

So shocked by this, especially at the fact that the whole train has come off. Maybe one wheel axel broke off and due to it being a cheaper coaster the others just snapped off from the forces? Talk about nightmare scenario! Hope the people are ok.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dailymirror/status/747122749630455808[/tweet]

Hopefully this is trashy tabloid hysteria.

davidm

Strata Poster
"may have" ; thats quality journalism for you - what are they not sure, perhaps they've just forgotten where they left it? FFS gutter press.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
[tweet]https://twitter.com/leahwashy/status/747130188207689729[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/joepugh_/status/747130617230401536[/tweet]

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Obviously it's too early to tell but the fact that the papers aren't posting 'dead at the scene' comments is at least encouraging. Landing upside down seems to be the best scenario in this horrific accident. Hope they all pull through. Bloody terrifying.

M&Ds has always had ropey maintenance though - remember the thing with the fire in the control box when CF went a few years ago and they just had the ride up and running again a few hours later!

Dave

CF Legend
Just watching ITV news and the reporter said the train collided with the superstructure before derailing. Anywhere else mentioning that?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Is it even a real accident until Vicky Balch has commented on it though?

I'd hope none of the injured were on the ride next to the coaster. I've been on a couple of travelling coasters before and worried a bit about their maintenance but never really given it that much thought. That may change after this.

Martyn B

CF Legend
If anything, surely travelling coasters are more likely to be safer, given how often they're dismantled and put back together?

And I can't how it could of hit the structure first before derailing? It's obvious it smashed it way through the rides perimeter fence though...