What's new

LWV 2010 Rides

Martyn B said:
^ You're a fanboy though, you would say that!

hasn't been pitch black for years

It was pitch black when I rode it in August last year...!
Hardly. It's my local park, and I like to see it do well, but the park is far from a decent day out. Huge amounts of potential yes, but precious little of it realised. I'd rather do Alton or Flamingoland most days of the week.

Raptor Attack however does deserve some praise, while th13teen deserves some stick. The level of theming on Raptor Attack genuinely surprised me - it's done the people behind Chessie's Wild Asia, and by God, does it show. Little touches such as the banging door and the blood and claw marks on the exit tunnel show that that a little extra care has been taken.

My problem with Th13teen isn't that it is a bad ride - as a ride it is better than the 20 year old coaster within Raptor Attack, it just feels a little under developed and incomplete; for that matter, the retheming on Rita feels better than the overall job on Th13teen.

The Rat and Raptor Attack both have a problem with light getting into the ride through cracks and gaps, but an effort appears to have been made to reduce these.

Well ok, but this is a comment on a fully blown fanboy:

frankly LWV have made a better fist of it than th13teen's haphazard theming

I still think a massive opportunity has been missed with Raptor, making it a backwards coaster would have been a much better move!

Martyn B said:
Well ok, but this is a comment on a fully blown fanboy:

frankly LWV have made a better fist of it than th13teen's haphazard theming

I still think a massive opportunity has been missed with Raptor, making it a backwards coaster would have been a much better move!

I agree 100% with this, infact it's what I was expecting.

Jools said:
Martyn B said:

I agree 100% with this, infact it's what I was expecting.

Why were you expecting it?

There was never anything to suggest it would go backwards?!

So is it no longer pitch black in there?

It is infact darker. The holes in the roof have been filled in and the raptor lights are not too illuminating.

Making it backward would have created another X:WTF, and the world really doesn't need that. Th13teen's theming is nowhere near what it should be - the creepers on the employee, shop and van are excellent, but the whole ride feels malnourished and frankly a let down.

What I am saying is this -

1. As rides, th13teen is better.
2. WHERE it is themed, th13teen is decent - the trouble is the theming is far to sparse for the cost.
3. The level of theming on Raptor Attack will genuinely surprise people - it did me, and I will give credit where credit is due. People who have seen my comments on other forums will know I am more known for lambasting LWV's ham-fisted efforts at theming.
4. Pretty much all of LWV's 2010 budget has been spent on retheme, as opposed to ride; I suspect the bulk of Alton's budget for th13teen has been spent on the actual mechanics of the ride, and the greater area, which as I have said is very good.
5. Best contrast is this - Mumbo Jumbo is a better coaster than Troublesome Trucks at DM, but the latter is better themed. The latter also is better themed than Th13teen for that matter.

For those critical of the comparison, I ask this - have you ridden Raptor Attack?

I have to admit that I've been pretty meh about this retheme. Dinosaurs...come on! It's 2010, not 1993 after all.

I was really impressed with the Sewer Rat's theming when I first saw it. It's one of the most atmospheric and underrated themes I've ever seen. Even the coaster felt rat like, albeit pretty dull.

From what I can tell from the video, there has been an effort made with the new theme although it doesn't grab me.

Would I have this over the original theming? I'm indifferent. What I'm more impressed about is LWV actually trying something new so in that respect, I think it's a step in the right direction.

I would have preferred some kind of re-imagining of the rat, maybe as I have suggested before, using the Rapids Ride. I dislike the use of Dinosaurs, but I will admit that either way, they have managed to do it well, with animatronic dinos, much like those found in the National History Museum.

The ultimate however these days is just too punishing to be the only reason to visit, and the retheme at least pulls the rat ride back to it's former glory, so to speak, whereby it was ironically (in it's heyday) one of the best themed rides in the UK.

When we got a chance to meet some of the management recently, the impression left was that the park knows it needs a general improvement in the quality of rides, but is very much looking at heavy theming as a way to improve what it has, and given the park's budget, I would say something like Raptor Attack represents a good statement of intent, if that is the direction they go.

The most important question is.... have they got rid of the fountains in the stairwells? That was by far the best bit of the ride :)

It was switched off in the video because the pipe is leaking.

Having said that, I believe it was planned to be replaced last week so there's a good chance it's back on now.

The tunnels down to the ride are also planned to be covered in the fake rockwork as seen in the station. The project went slightly over budget and therefore cuts had to made. The directors visited last month though and were impressed (litte factoid: it was done by the same guy who works on the Harry Potter movie sets) and have agreed to cough up the money to finish it off.

Further work has been carried out over the past 7 days, just starting to add all the finishing touches here and there.

normal_8~41.jpg

normal_15~25.jpg

normal_17~21.jpg

normal_14~25.jpg

normal_16~22.jpg

normal_18~16.jpg

normal_15~26.jpg

normal_16~23.jpg

normal_12~28.jpg

normal_11~30.jpg

normal_10~37.jpg

normal_9~42.jpg

normal_13~27.jpg

normal_14~26.jpg

I dunno about you, but I personally think Lightwater Valley have absolutely excelled themselves and deserve enormous credit.

So there's now an ORP for it? And where abouts is that outside themed area?

Oh, and also, where's the freaking Top Scan? :?

Raptor attack looks really cool actually - tempted to head back there now so Maxi-Minor_Furie can experience it :)

Martyn B said:
So there's now an ORP for it? And where abouts is that outside themed area?

Oh, and also, where's the freaking Top Scan? :?

ORP has been there since opening day.

The raptor themed area is behind the shop - it's part of the paintball shooting gallery (you can see the windows in the photo of the shop).

Whirlwind has been open since April 24th.

30678_390016850291_151961685291_4295085_6110446_n.jpg

^Well technically, Rat Ride did used to have an ORP when it first opened! Hadn't been used for a long long time though! The equipment for Raptor is new might I add!

normal_1~72.jpg

Speaking of ORPs, Raptor Attack has a graphic overlay around the actual photo of the car, and the park have just taken delivery of themed photo frames - including The Ultimate, Twister and Rapids; just another step forward in becoming more professional in what ways they can.

As for Whirlwind, it's certainly proving popular standing next to Eagles Claw! Quite the adrenaline junkies corner now!