What's new

Loudest chain lifts?

wakey1512

Roller Poster
Jubilee Odyssey used to be rather loud but since it turned a couple of years old the ratchet system seems to have failed completely. Its now the quietest chain lift in the world :p

kifan99

Roller Poster
Vortex at KI love arrow lift hills.

Firehawk is just annoyingly loud its so loud i can hear it from coney mall! and you will become deaf if you dont cover your ears on that ride!

Flight Decks loud.

I went to PKI in 2005 and SoB was so loud(this was before the major refuebishment)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure. It might not be the loudest overall, but it does have the loudest lift hill of any B&M mega.

bmac

Giga Poster
ECG said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure. It might not be the loudest overall, but it does have the loudest lift hill of any B&M mega.

I never really noticed Nitro's clanging, and I've been riding it since it opened. I haven't really noticed any of B&M's lift hills other than Alpengeist. Watching the counterweight and all the inner workings of the lift mechanism move around and speed up as the train approaches is one of my favorite things while waiting in line.

EDIT: Now that I think about it Nitro's lift hill is kinda loud when it engages the chain and begins the lift, but that's from a spectator's perspective. I have yet to notice it while riding.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I always thought Magnum's chain lift was really loud (or anti-rollbacks, excuse me for not being goon enough haha). That's the only thing that pops into my mind as being louder than other coasters.

I thought it was really loud to. I could hear that thing all the way from Blue Streak

robbeal

Hyper Poster
I'm with Phil. The first thought that jumps to mind when noisy lifthills are mentioned is the Vekoma Corkscrew lift motor, a la Alton's Corkscrew. I'll always remember the moaning noise coming from that.

rcjp

Roller Poster
Nitro really is loud. Superman atraccion de acero at parque warner madrid is also quite loud. It was the second B&M that I rode and I never forgot the lift hill noise.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Dragon Khan, it may not be the loudest, but when your in the shambhala/china area you always now when it's on its lift hill.

Thinking about it, Nemesis is really loud when your on the back row, I can hardly hear the person next to me when they are speaking.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
owenrita121 said:
Thinking about it, Nemesis is really loud when your on the back row, I can hardly hear the person next to me when they are speaking.
Yes, same with Griffon. Not surprising since they're both dive machines.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
ava1enzue1a said:
owenrita121 said:

Nemesis is not a Dive machine it's an inverted coaster. Your probably thinking of Oblivion

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
CookieCoasters said:
ava1enzue1a said:
owenrita121 said:

Nemesis is not a Dive machine it's an inverted coaster. Your probably thinking of Oblivion
Yes, good call. I'm bad with names (true story). Is it obvious? :wink:

Hutch

Strata Poster
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was really loud. It got pretty annoying because there were 3 chain lifts. Alpengeist is also pretty loud.