What's new

Liseberg | Valkyria | B&M Dive Coaster

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Just once, it would be fab if a new one of these actually dived into the hole properly, you know, like Oblivion does...
Hear, hear. The tunnel is basically pointless otherwise.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
Just once, it would be fab if a new one of these actually dived into the hole properly, you know, like Oblivion does...
Isn't that photo another tunnel and not the actual dive itself? I mean yeah, an tunnel like Oblivion would be fab, but I don't think this is the initial drop anyway?

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking the ride would dive into the tunnel from the top, my bad. Ignore my comment. :)

DelPiero

Strata Poster
valkyria-liseberg-artwork.jpg

So I'm hoping it gets a massive amount of Vegetation added to climb up the drop but as of now it's not what I had hoped based on the above image.

9519060d1527457889-2018-neuheit-valkyria-dive-coaster-b-m-50-m-liseberg-schweden-bild00021_8.jpg

I really thought if anyone would do this properly it would have been Liseberg.

It's not going to look like that picture, that is for sure.

The only way for Liseberg to create a tunnel like oblivion would be for them to build it on the hillside, and there just isn't adequate space for another coaster there.

Peet

Giga Poster
Hear, hear. The tunnel is basically pointless otherwise.
I think even a small tunnel like this adds a lot to the ride, but yeah it would be great to have another coaster with a properly deep tunnel. Oblivion's tunnel was a massive civil engineering project though, I think it cost about £5M if I remember right, which would be close to £10M in today's money.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I think even a small tunnel like this adds a lot to the ride, but yeah it would be great to have another coaster with a properly deep tunnel. Oblivion's tunnel was a massive civil engineering project though, I think it cost about £5M if I remember right, which would be close to £10M in today's money.
Worth it.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I like Krake's compromise of themeing the drop so you kinda drop into a hole, understand the impracticality of digging deeper especially for Liseberg given the high water table and the near by river.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
I like Krake's compromise of themeing the drop so you kinda drop into a hole, understand the impracticality of digging deeper especially for Liseberg given the high water table and the near by river.
Yeah, though they did just drop it next to the ride for the first few years until enough people were complaining about it not actually going through the ship (when it was advertised such).
Maybe if enough people nag about it they'll be adding a more immersive hole? Or perhaps they've just run out of time to build it and they might be upgrading it in the future...
(Did I just write "immersive hole" lol)

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
valkyria-liseberg-artwork.jpg

So I'm hoping it gets a massive amount of Vegetation added to climb up the drop but as of now it's not what I had hoped based on the above image.

9519060d1527457889-2018-neuheit-valkyria-dive-coaster-b-m-50-m-liseberg-schweden-bild00021_8.jpg

I really thought if anyone would do this properly it would have been Liseberg.
The issue for Valkyria is its location. They already had issues with the tunnel at the current depth due to the neighboring canal. If they opted for such a deep tunnel, which would be amazing, it would not work from an engineering standpoint due to floodwater.
They may have been able to work around it and have some pump system, but that could add a huge price-tag.

Pear

Strata Poster
I'd assume testing will probably start tomorrow.

I hope it'll at least be testing when I'm there in less than 2 weeks. It would be nice to see it in action.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
The issue for Valkyria is its location. They already had issues with the tunnel at the current depth due to the neighboring canal. If they opted for such a deep tunnel, which would be amazing, it would not work from an engineering standpoint due to floodwater.
They may have been able to work around it and have some pump system, but that could add a huge price-tag.

But that kinda proves the point of all the people shouting "Meh" at the Dive-Coaster announcement? Liseberg really didn't have to opt for this model, there were other options. Yes, it is still going to be a spectacular coaster, but limitations are limitations and it's not like they absolutely HAD to squeeze in this model because it's the greatest thing.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
But that kinda proves the point of all the people shouting "Meh" at the Dive-Coaster announcement? Liseberg really didn't have to opt for this model, there were other options. Yes, it is still going to be a spectacular coaster, but limitations are limitations and it's not like they absolutely HAD to squeeze in this model because it's the greatest thing.
I agree. Aesthetically it is perfect for the park and it does fit well with their current lineup, however dive coasters are definitely one trick ponies and especially with vest restraints are very limited in quality. I do prefer Valkyria’s layout to perhaps all other dive coasters, but nonetheless a B&M invert would have been a better fit (and better coaster) for the park.

Lofty

CF Legend
It’s only just dawned on me that when you’re walking on top of the hill, you’ll be able to look down on it; that’s pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk