What's new

Liseberg news topic, mid season report 2009 posted

^^ Bah, weather. Liseberg is so much more awesome when it rains, less crowds and faster coasters <3

^ It isn't as much of a fairground as some of the parks I have been to in the UK, most of the rides are blended into the "theme" that is Liseberg (sure it's still pretty fairground, but I don't see anything wring with that), so you don't see the trailer the ride is mounted on. And after thinking about it, the last ride that were trailer mounted (Tornado) is now gone.

I'm also sorry to say that I'm unable to find a similar picture of Uppswinget that you described above, but wait a few weeks and I will get one.

A little update about Hang-Hai and Rabalder:
A few days ago Liseberg sent out a press release with an invitation about a press preview day, and since I was unable to get there to that day (the 23:rd) my brother RSVP:d to it (to represent the "internet" :) ) and later got a reply that he was welcome, so expect a big update then.

i ould be intrestied in meeting up if i can get the dates for when i will be there if we can meet it would be good. there probably will be aa orp on rabalder as there i an orp on a coaster near me which is the same (vekoma junior coaster i think has a similar layout.)

lol, an IKEA advert played before it started, could they be anymore of a stereotype? I half expected ABBA to play during the POV...

Also, OW that looks bad! I see they're the same people that made the one at SWO... which also SUCKED. A lot. And hurt.

Bring back Tivolis!

^ According to my brother that were there yesterday, said that the problem was too large camera and not strapped in enough, it ran perfectly fine in real life.

Press day report:

So my brother were at the press launch of Liseberg's newest coaster, Rabalder, and flat-ride, Hang-Hai, yesterday, and here are some images from the event.

DSC06927.jpg

Obligatory entrance shot.

DSC06930.jpg

Green bunnies!!

DSC06938.jpg

OMG new credit!!

DSC06939.jpg

YAY for Rabalder, it's like Balder with ra in front of it...

DSC06940.jpg

Entrance.

DSC06944.jpg

Oh and the Swedish national women's soccer team were there :)

DSC06946.jpg

One for the lift-hill freaks.

DSC06948.jpg

With train!!

DSC06954.jpg

POV.

DSC06964.jpg

More hot Swedish chicks!!

DSC06971.jpg

OMG, it's going to crash...

DSC06980.jpg

Time for the second lap.

DSC06989.jpg

Now observe this bunny in it's natural environment...

DSC06990.jpg

Bunnies on a coaster!!

DSC06998.jpg

The Liseberg bunnies does the, see no evil, say no evil, hear no evil impression

DSC07002.jpg

Looks like they like their new ride.

DSC07033.jpg

This will probably be the last time this sign will say 00.00

DSC07054.jpg

This image makes me wish I was in Japan, mmm Sakura

DSC07059.jpg

Mmmmm Lisebergbanan

DSC07062.jpg

Awesome Schwarzkopf helix

DSC07061.jpg

Flume Ride is testing

DSC07083.jpg

New ride #2

DSC07086.jpg

This one supposedly crushes your guts.

DSC07087.jpg

Looks nice though

DSC07107.jpg

Yay Balder!!

DSC07104.jpg

Why did you walk over here??

DSC07101.jpg

It was Open!!

DSC07109.jpg

Kanonen as well!!

DSC07137.jpg

AND Lisebergbanan!!

Some final images of Rabalder!!
DSC07142.jpg

DSC07143.jpg

DSC07144.jpg

DSC07146.jpg

Can't wait to ride it in a few days!!

So this concludes this report, I got my brother to ask about the 2010 project but the answers he got were very vague, so I guess we have to wait and see. I really looking forward to go there in about a week, so expect a TR by then.

Some other news:

Liseberg have restarted the planning of the expansion into the south parking lot, and they are interested in buying the old Saab gearbox factory south of Balder, which also could mean that they will have a lot of space to grow in the future.
Link: http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=113&a=488836

Liseberg is suing Huss for the failure of Rainbow, since the part that failed are things that Huss are responsible of.
Link: http://www.gp.se/gp/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=361&a=490934

They have also taken action against the economical "crisis", they have lowered the break-even point so that they could survive with lower attendance, but due to the weak Swedish Krona they also hope that more swedes go there instead of travelling abroad, and also that more foreign tourists stop by the park, which could make this season very successful.

Great news! Well, perhaps not for Huss, but still, we can hope for a good season. Could you find that map again, just to show how much space they will get with the gearbox factory?
And concerning that, won't such a huge building be expensive to remove? Or will they make it a hotel, or perhaps a storage building, tearing down eventual other buildings in the park?

Last, what ceiling does Liseberg have to work with? How tall can they build? (If low, how viable is a Terracoaster?)

Something in Swedish said:
Vid demonteringen av den havererade attraktionen upptäcktes ett brott på en drivaxel i ett slutet system.

Exactly what I was thinking... Hmmmmm... ;)

Swedish Womens Soccer Team :--D

Nice report Loefet, the new coaster fits in pretty well within the park. Liseberg looks so much different compared to the Summer when all the leaves and all are grown back and the trees aren't bare. You can see alot more.

furie said:
Something in Swedish said:
Vid demonteringen av den havererade attraktionen upptäcktes ett brott på en drivaxel i ett slutet system.

Exactly what I was thinking... Hmmmmm... ;)
"While disassembling the crashed attraction, they found a rupture in an axle in a closed system"

In other words a part they had no access to whatsoever during usual maintenance of the attraction. This was a mistake made by Huss, nothing Liseberg could have discovered or prevented.

Poke:

Here is an overview of the park I made some time ago:
Liseberg1.jpg

Green area is where the park is situated today (about 600 m long and 300 m wide).
Yellow area is the south parking lot (about 300 m long and 100 m wide), the plans are to expand the park in the top 2/3:rd and in the bottom 1/3:rd would be a new parking garage.
Black box is where a new parking garage have been built.
Red area Liseberg owns some buildings (maintenance, etc.), and this is also where the Saab gearbox factory is (maybe the big building south of it as well).
Blue is the Mölndal river that runs through the park.

The expansion in the southern parking lot will be more of a year round attraction so it's very likely that this section, or parts of it, will be enclosed.

I'm not sure about the height restrictions in the Saab area, but I do know that the southern parking already have a permit to build 28 m tall buildings along the street and 35 m on the rest, so they could easily fit a pretty large coaster in that space without any major hassle, and I would guess that it would probably be something similar in the Saab area. They can on the other hand seek permit's for even taller stuff, and since there isn't any airports in the vicinity then even a tera-coaster is possible, but I'm pretty sure that they won't go for one since it won't fit Liseberg.
I'm also sure that they won't build any Hotels, since they already have one a short walk from the park, along with some other hotels, camping sites, etc. in the vicinity of Gothenburg. There is also other hotels in the area that offer deals with Liseberg entry etc. so there isn't any need for a new "Liseberg hotel".

Looks like I chose the wrong word. LSM Blitz Coaster, Maverick-style, was the type I was asking for, but they already have Kanonen for launch and inversions, and Lisebergbanan for terrain-hugging, so I guess we won't see that kind of coaster at Liseberg soon...
Teracoaster, with one R, would be awesome, though. But if anything, I think their next major coaster will be an Inverted one.

And the article says
"- Ny rutschkana[sic] är inget problem."
That's good news.

^ Sorry but I misread that tiny text, yeah a Blitz/Terra coaster would be awesome at Liseberg, but as you said, they already "have" that. It would be more likely that they get a B&M Invert apart from some more family oriented rides.

Liseberg have just posted a Press release that they already have had about 2 million visitors this year, which is a good thing especially since the financial crap that have been going on during the past months.
All this means that they will probably match the total number of visitors this year as well with the remaining opening days of the summer season and the upcoming winter season. They have also increased their turnover with 57 million SEK which is 30% more (!) then last year during the same period. This really shows that the "crisis" package that they formulated earlier this year to deal with the down turning financial market have been very successful.

Click for source: Liseberg.se [Swedish]

Now I'm just waiting for the announcements about possible new rides (that are supposed to be very "special"...).