What's new

Liseberg | Luna | Vekoma Family Boomerang | 2023

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
Long post I know, everything sent with love 🎢 :D

Flumeride

Yes, I still think this will happen and I again have seen sticks and markers in the park. I do not think it is too far away.
More of my speculations on this topic will be found about this in some of the videos attached to this post.
In short I think it will operate 2023 Liseberg 100 years and Flumeride 50 years. Then it is time to make way for the future.

Expansion of Liseberg:
Saw some discussion about expansion of Liseberg. The main place to expand the park would of course be south of Balder.
At the moment this is a parking lot but huge parts of it is closed off for infrastructure work (road to World of Volvo and for the future).
This is for both World of Volvo and Lisebergs future expansion. The plans for this future expansion holds an expansion to the waterpark, expansion to Liseberg (amusement park in two levels) and a second hotel. If and when this will happen remains to be seen but from what I can find we are close for some parts of this.

I do have some video about this on my youtube channel which also covers some other fun stuff.

Something I do not mention in the videos is that Rundqvists boktryckeri sold their property (next to or in the middle of Lisebergs future expansion plans) to Regio and Grandab. Regio and Grandab have signed a lease with Svenska Stadshotell AB for 20 years on this land and will renovate an old building that will host a new hotels entrance and a new hotel building with 16 floors will be built next to it. So not only will Liseberg open 1 hotel now in April there will be another hotel built (not by Liseberg) and the initial plan was to open in 2024. How this plan is now I do not know since there do not seem to be any construction going on as of right now.

Lisebergbanan:
Also read some concern about Lisebergbanan. Me personally do not think there will be any harm done to Lisebergbanan. New trains in 2019, new facade in 2019 and it is still one of the most ridden coasters in the park every year. I think that the new trains added another 20-30 years to this rollercoaster. As you can see down below Lisebergbanan is also in the layout plans for Luna.

As also mentioned before in this thread. Lisebergbanan will have close interaction with Luna and vice versa. I feel like Lisebergbanan can feel faster when this is done. Look at the picture of Lunas station attached below.

Luna:
Wohoo a new rollercoaster at Liseberg. I'm honestly getting more and more excited about this rollercoaster and I think it will be a really great addition to the park. The color is great and that station is looking fantastic the least to say.

I have talked about the layout in some news updates on my youtube channel too but if you haven't seen it here it is.

Skärmavbild 2022-11-03 kl. 22.39.43.png

This video contains the layout and some concept art for the station building if interested.

And a layout of the station

Skärmavbild 2022-11-03 kl. 22.51.15.png

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
Great post!

Yeah this is the zoning plan that was approved on 16-11-2020.

1667516226751.png

World of Volvo (furthest down) is already well underway in construction. The Liseberg expansion itself is very far in the the future, probably 10+ years away. Because they have zoned the land doesn't mean that they actually have to build it this way or that the construction itself is close. On my study visit to Liseberg earlier this year we discussed this expansion and visited the site. Park management seemed very determined to point out that this expansion is far away in the future.

It will also be interesting to see someone else's hotel in the middle of Liseberg property. I was expending Liseberg being more aggressive in acquiring that plot.

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
Park management is very determined to point out that this expansion is far away in the future, we totally agree and I hear the same when I ask around.
But, they also are very determined to say that Flumeride is not going anywhere and is not being replaced. The sticks and markers in the park says otherwise I also still think that the order to Intamin is very much happening.

World of Volvo:
Yes, as you say it is well underway, opening in 2024.
But what is extra interesting here is that the parking garage built under World of Volvo is planned to be opened in march 2023.
This parking garage will also act as a parking for Liseberg guests. So already for next year the parking situation will be way better then now.
Also that means that Liseberg actually could remove the parking lot already during spring to start developing this area. If they would want to.

Expansion:
About the zoning plan, that plan will be changed plenty of times before it is finalized yes but still very interesting and I hope that they go in this direction at least.
A second hotel is of course far, far away.
But expansion to the Oceana is already mentioned in the latest protocol and that document says that the expansion of Oceana should start right after Oceana is handed over to Liseberg from NCC (the constructor). This is not decided and will be discussed in the next meeting.
This mentioned expansion is about an outdoor area and yes there will be one already at Oceana when it opens. It might as well mean more developing of that area or on the other side of the river.
Expansion of Liseberg itself seems to be far away but one could hope that it is earlier than 10+ years. If the investment plan is correct we are talking more like 4-5 years than 10+. That can of course change.

Another hotel:
I think that it will be a great addition to the hotel lineup and that one should be a bit more "budget" than curiosa.
I was expending Liseberg being more aggressive in acquiring that plot.
I was too but my guess is that because the "war" they had with Rundqvists boktryckeri I do not think Liseberg was an option for them. Then the price. I guess that it was very expensive and Liseberg just decided it was not worth it.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Park management is very determined to point out that this expansion is far away in the future, we totally agree and I hear the same when I ask around.
But, they also are very determined to say that Flumeride is not going anywhere and is not being replaced. The sticks and markers in the park says otherwise I also still think that the order to Intamin is very much happening.

Flumeride 2.0 could happen. Personally, I am not for the idea but I am not saying it wont happen. Though these sticks could be anything.

But what is extra interesting here is that the parking garage built under World of Volvo is planned to be opened in march 2023.
This parking garage will also act as a parking for Liseberg guests. So already for next year the parking situation will be way better then now.
Also that means that Liseberg actually could remove the parking lot already during spring to start developing this area. If they would want to.

I would take this with a grain of salt. The parking garage will open because it is finished and the owners will quicker be able to get a return of investment if they open earlier. Museum construction is usually divided into two steps. Firstly is putting up the physical building and secondly is installing the exhibits and experiences. The building itself looks mostly done so Volvo would only be stupid if they don't open the parking and make money from it.

But expansion to the Oceana is already mentioned in the latest protocol and that document says that the expansion of Oceana should start right after Oceana is handed over to Liseberg from NCC (the constructor). This is not decided and will be discussed in the next meeting.
This mentioned expansion is about an outdoor area and yes there will be one already at Oceana when it opens. It might as well mean more developing of that area or on the other side of the river.
Expansion of Liseberg itself seems to be far away but one could hope that it is earlier than 10+ years. If the investment plan is correct we are talking more like 4-5 years than 10+. That can of course change.

Liseberg has been spending more money these last couple of years on expansion than ever before, plus, the pandemic has dried up revenue for two years. I am certain we will see a bit of a calmer Liseberg for the coming couple of years. Expansion could still happen but not the huge over the river project. That's way into the 2030s.

Personally, I think the next expansion plans will be. Exluding smaller ride aditons and redo of existing rides:
- Oceana expansion, this one will probably be soon.
- Lisebergshallen plot, not sure this will be a coaster but something will happen here.
- Followed by the huge cross river project.

Regarding Oceana, I think expansion will primarily happen on the grass plot. In the original drawing this area was already developed but in the budget version (the ones that was built) it is stated as possible expansion. Either this area will get a roof or something more exiting will happen here than an empty grass field.

outdoorarea_02.jpg

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
I’ll try to find time to give a longer reply later Christian. But for now a short little update.

Lisebergbanan is in fact closed during the Christmas season. Now we’ll really start to see construction of Luna picking up I guess.

But not only that. All of the rides in Luna Park is also looking closed.

Concrete being poured for the rest of the footers.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Luna update time. I was at Liseberg for Christmas opening and the park is absolutely lovely but the hill (exept for around the ferriswheel) is mostly closed, undecorated and badly landscaped. All rides and coasters on the hill are closed (except for the ferriswheel). Most of it is walkable and only Luna Park itself is Physically blocked off. Heavy machinery has moved in into Luna Park. It's a shame that they are destroying it, considering it that the garden was built 6 years ago. Though I am confident it will be perfectly restored.

20221119_203615.jpg
20221119_205118.jpg
20221119_195107.jpg

The path at the back off the hill looks to have been turned into temporary worker parking.

20221119_204917.jpg

The station building itself looks to be fully framed. In my opinion Valkyria still had the best looking station.

20221119_203814.jpg

There is no more track installed and some if the footers have had their bolts encased in a temporary wooden casing, while others have not. I don't understand why?

20221119_203959.jpg

@admins Is there a way to add images in portrait? All seem to be automatically turned to landscape.

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
More track has arrived.

index.php

Source:

Christian

Hyper Poster
Yesterday was was my last Liseberg visit this year and my last Luna construction update ever. With over 50 visits staring at this thing, it will be incredibly exiting to finally ride it in April.

Anyways. A lot has happened since last time. More track has arrived, another track section of the lifthill has been installed, station building looks to be in final painting stage.

20221219_195418.jpg

Also a red shed has been put up. Wonder what it will be. Maybe a technical/equipment shed or a staff room?

20221219_195548.jpg

Coaster Stop

Roller Poster
Yesterday was was my last Liseberg visit this year and my last Luna construction update ever. With over 50 visits staring at this thing, it will be incredibly exiting to finally ride it in April.

Anyways. A lot has happened since last time. More track has arrived, another track section of the lifthill has been installed, station building looks to be in final painting stage.

View attachment 22326

Also a red shed has been put up. Wonder what it will be. Maybe a technical/equipment shed or a staff room?

View attachment 22327
Yes, you’re right. The red shed is the technical room for air compressor electrical boxes and more.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Gothenburg's largest newspaper ran an article about Luna. The paper is amusingly called Göteborgsposten, GP. The article consists of mostly the basic GP stuff but the Liseberg spokesperson confirmed that all parts of the ride should be on site exept for the trains that are ready at the Vekoma factory.

We also got some prices. According to Liseberg, the coaster itself costs about 90 million SEK and the whole Luna Park area costs about 140 million SEK. About 9 million dollars for the coaster and 13.7 million dollar for the whole area. Nine million dollars sounds pretty expensive for a family coaster with only 240 meters of track.

There were also some pictures that we havnt see before. Here is a photo inside the station. Looks great in my opinion.

xl-ykUey0Zl1ta0CJKP_FiWBjd8.jpg

And some more construction photos with Helix in the backround.

eCHm2yT7tL9QI9BjqFZ5qnZdH_8.jpgNNTuLCGR-q0z1Auu_aoI7Kyu6DE.jpg

Source and credit: https://www.gp.se/nyheter/göteborg/kika-in-på-bygget-av-lisebergs-nya-berg-och-dalbana-1.90395101

Last edited: